Become a Patron!

My First RTA "Build" (OBS Crius w/Velocity-Style Deck)

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm stoked to get mine ( 2x v3 with Velocity decks) and give it a vape! Hope I don't have to wait too long for them to show up, but you know how FT can be. Price was too good to not try it!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I will try to explain the difference or at least how they differ in my experience
Since you already have the crown, you know this is a power hungry tank with the SS coils. Not a problem but does require at least 50 watts to get the flavor to shine on the .5 coils. My .25 shine around 65 watts and above. The tank has what I consider as massive air flow. I had mine open three clicks to get the vape I liked. The crown wicks great and never get a dry hit unless you run it totally dry. It provides great flavor and huge amounts of vapor. Mine never leaked and the top fill was really nice.
Now the Crius.... Well we know it is a dual deck only. The veloctiy style deck is a dream to build on. I find the wicking very easy once you get it figured it. its not hard just have to realize not to overstuff the juice holes. Mike Vapes has a great wicking video and its spot on. The top fill or should I say side fill much like the Lemo 2 done the right way is much better than the crown since all you do is lift the top, fill and close. No parts to take off.
So once you get though the features, you are left with the quality of vape. I like that I can virtually rebuild it to my liking. if I want a higher resistance lower vape production or a low build that chucks like a steam engine. I have that ability. The quality of the materials is great, threads are super smooth and you get an extra glass pc and several orings etc that you would expect. I like to be able to close the airflow down a bit and get a bit tighter draw without having that hot hit that would happen if you were pushing 65 watts. I have a .18 dual ss build and rocking it a 45 watts with no reduction in flavor or vapor.
Hope this helps at least a little bit
im confused
ok so to my understanding

more surface area on the coils gets you more flavor and cloudz bro
now if your building a dual coil at .18 in ss on the crius
i would automatically think compare dto the crown which at .25 most of us run at 60+w
that you would need even more wattage on you crius build
but your running it lower

now the difference in my mind is
double single horizontal coils in crius
versus
dual parallel vertical coils in the crown

this suggests to me
that parallel coils while they give additional surface area which gives more flavor and cloudz bro, they are inefficient for power consumption
and that the vertical build used in crown/maganus/starre/etc adds significant air flow which can reduce flavor

so while the stock crown/maganus/starre/etc coils are awesome for easy to make prebuilt coils - they are easy to mass produce, take up little room, and produce awesome flavor and cloudz bro
you can obtain the same results in flavor and cloudz bro with more power efficiency and less air by seperating the coils

am i making sense people???????

Powerman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I keep getting distracted by all the cloudz bros.

The conductor is the conductor. Resistance is just material and geometry. There is no difference in efficiency. A heating element is 100% efficient. 100% of the energy used is converted to heat.

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Took the plunge on this one and got the v3 version with the velocity deck. Sad feeling that it may bench my trusty billow v2s but I couldnt pass it up! Looks like I will have much better luck with this one after watching some videos compared to the aromamizer that I traded for well a billow v2 lolol. Hurry up priority mail!!

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Took the plunge on this one and got the v3 version with the velocity deck. Sad feeling that it may bench my trusty billow v2s but I couldnt pass it up! Looks like I will have much better luck with this one after watching some videos compared to the aromamizer that I traded for well a billow v2 lolol. Hurry up priority mail!!
I hear ya. As much as I loved my billows v2, the Crius just came in, took over and pushed the billows aside like s pile of rotten poo. Lolol.
In all seriousness, the Crius build deck alone will have you so much happier and the wicking is a breeze in comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deeks

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I couldn't resist, after all you fellow Billow2 users giving such good feedback on it I felt like I was missing out :) I'm happy they did a velocity style deck as an option for this, I really liked that about the aromamizer but I didn't like the side airflow on that tank, much prefer the bottom airflow to keep the vape a little warmer. That side airflow seemed to kill the flavor and heat for me unless I was using like 22g kanthal which is not my preferred coiling gauge.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
I have both the velocity and improved hole size deck and both are great to build on. Of course the velocity is easier. IMO both are easier than the billows due to the second coil on the billows you need to pretrim the positive lead. Here it's a breeze

I take the grub screwdriver and push it down each channel, you should see it through the juice channel hole(touch the bottom).

Not forcefully but to create a small reservoir for juice to wick. I could chain-vape the tank at 60W

I have been experiencing some (minute but problematic) leakage from in-between the air adjuster and deck. Not sure if its due to my wicking tactic.. maybe I need to add some more cotton

Hi. I have the Crius v3 (velocity deck). Loving this tank so far. One issue though...has anyone noticed juice moisturizing or seeping out from above the airflow ring? (the gap between AFC and the tank itself - as shown in the attached picture). It's not heavy leaking or anything, but I usually observe this when I pocket my vape. It's kind of irritating to constantly wipe the juice off.

Attachments

• Crius.jpg
    Crius.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 40

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I saw a bit of that, yesterday, when I took the tank off the mod. I wrote it up to the juice ports having opened slightly as I removed the tank from my mod.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Hi. I have the Crius v3 (velocity deck). Loving this tank so far. One issue though...has anyone noticed juice moisturizing or seeping out from above the airflow ring? (the gap between AFC and the tank itself - as shown in the attached picture). It's not heavy leaking or anything, but I usually observe this when I pocket my vape. It's kind of irritating to constantly wipe the juice off.
I get the same. Especially if I Vape it till it's pretty hot. I figure the Juice thins out and seeps through at that point.

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Can someone who can take the crius up to 60 watts post a picture of their build and wicking please. I'm stuck on 40w.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I never got above 45W, but I was getting decent vapour quantity & density, and good flavour, so I was fine.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes, my two Crius' do the same thing. Aggravating, but not a deal killer. They just vape too good!

WARCHOP37

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just finished building and wicking my crius. Dual vertical 24g Kanthal at .3 ohms. Split the wick and wicked into the channels. So far, no leaks, great flavor. Love this thing!

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I finally put a build on mine, after having received the replacement deck a week ago yesterday. Eight wraps of 28 ga. kanthal. Ended up at .7 ohms. Wicked with Japanese organic cotton. Juiced the wicks & loaded 'er up with Grand Rapids E-Liquid's Hidden Dragon 50/50. It's producing pretty serious vapour at only 20W.

Last edited:

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This tank just went from good to holy crap! Once you find that perfect sweet spot, the quality of vape is as good as my velocity rda. The trick for me was thick but short wicks. Thick enough to barely be able to pull through the coils. Short enough to just hold itself self in the wicking holes.

I've tried this method as Mike Vapes before but I didn't make the cotton as thick as I did just now.

I know everyone is bragging about the griffin but I just don't see the need with this tank. It's perfect.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This tank just went from good to holy crap! Once you find that perfect sweet spot, the quality of vape is as good as my velocity rda. ...
It IS a nice tank, but... seems to me that maybe... perhaps... it's entirely possible... you haven't yet found the perfect sweet spot for your Velocity, (lol).

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It IS a nice tank, but... seems to me that maybe... perhaps... it's entirely possible... you haven't yet found the perfect sweet spot for your Velocity, (lol).
Genius comment what can I say. Without a doubt, my velocity is as good as it gets. However, when I'm driving, my crius fills a huge void. Dripping while driving gets messy.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Genius comment what can I say. Without a doubt, my velocity is as good as it gets...
You probably realize, when I read that comment... I couldn't resist posting. And... this is like deja vu... all over again. As awesome as the Velocity is; I wouldn't go THAT far either. :) - but seriously - It's all good!

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You probably realize, when I read that comment... I couldn't resist posting. And... this is like deja vu... all over again. As awesome as the Velocity is; I wouldn't go THAT far either. :) - but seriously - It's all good!
Curious to know what your favorite RDA is after that comment.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I would say the Stro Mini is the best, its small but holds big builds, warmer vape since chamber isnt too big and full of air like the velocity, yet it uses the same velocity posts.

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I run the velocity between 55w to 65w. My builds are usually right around .25 - .3. Which is why I'm loving the crius right now. My build on the crius is .25 / 60w. Works out perfect for me.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I run the velocity between 55w to 65w. My builds are usually right around .25 - .3. Which is why I'm loving the crius right now. My build on the crius is .25 / 60w. Works out perfect for me.

I Love the Velocity Deck, I own all of the Velocity RTA's or have them waiting to be Delivered so far...
Crius and Aromamizer...still waiting on Griffin and VCMT 25mm to arrive
Crius and Aromamizer.jpg
My Crius Build- 2 x 24K/44N60 Fused Clapton ( .23 Ohms and Great @ 70w)
Crius.jpg
Aromamizer Build:
Aromamizer Build.jpg
Velocity Build:
Framed Fused Clapton.jpg

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I Love the Velocity Deck, I own all of the Velocity RTA's or have them waiting to be Delivered so far...
Crius and Aromamizer...still waiting on Griffin and VCMT 25mm to arrive
View attachment 37089
My Crius Build- 2 x 24K/44N60 Fused Clapton ( .23 Ohms and Great @ 70w)
View attachment 37084
Aromamizer Build:
View attachment 37088
Velocity Build:
View attachment 37090
whats the ID of your clapton build on the crius
and i notice on some builds you use the same holes for one coil and on other builds you put one end of the coil on top and o ne on the bottom? is there a reason to choose one way versus the other?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
whats the ID of your clapton build on the crius
and i notice on some builds you use the same holes for one coil and on other builds you put one end of the coil on top and o ne on the bottom? is there a reason to choose one way versus the other?
Screws were stripped and wouldnt tighten, thats why only the top holes were used.
I usually do 2.4mm ID for my builds, 3mm if Im building for the Velocity or other RDA with large chambers.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Curious to know what your favorite RDA is after that comment.

(Late reply, sorry but still, you deserve an answer)... My bottom line comment was "It's all good." I was only poking some fun. I know we all sometimes wax poetic about how great a vape can be on some gear... you posted, "no doubt, the Velocity is as good as it gets"... and I'd commented that I (personally) wouldn't go THAT far... and so you wanted to know what my fav is...

Beats the shit outta me ??? (I think my favorite might be something I haven't tried yet)... of what I have used... I have to back up. I'm gonna back-up. If the Velocity is as good as it gets - for you - I'm no one to argue about it. As a matter of fact (and I do own one), on points... I might just agree with you. It IS as good as it gets. - I can pick some nits - but why? They're MY nits... (we all have different nits) and if it's as good as it gets for YOU, that's good enough for me. :)

ailgaz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Izen by no means am I getting offended. I'm all for fun. I thought you were holding out on something and didn't want to let the word out so I was trying to fish it out of you :) I'm all for adding to my collection you got me excited then crushed my dreams man

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Why are those premade coils spaced? Are they for temp control? Sorry if it was mentioned as i missed it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@Izen by no means am I getting offended. I'm all for fun. I thought you were holding out on something and didn't want to let the word out so I was trying to fish it out of you :) I'm all for adding to my collection you got me excited then crushed my dreams man

Awe shit! Crushed yours dreams? Haha lol. Keep dreamin'. I don't have any secret knowledge of hard-to-get, superior-in-all-ways, RDA's. Wish I did! My collection is limited in number (but growing) so that limits my experience. I'm gonna tell you the next best thing? lol. I don't know so much... Maybe you've vaped more than I have and can tell me a few things! :)

I like RDA's that don't leak (that's a new one, huh?)... have really good flavor and good (but not necessarily great) clouds. One of my pet peeves is when juice gets outside of the RDA and onto my mod. That's annoying... It's usually unavoidable when it spits out the side air holes, but it's what it is. I don't buy bottom air RDA's, only top & side air, just for that reason. Some have more flavor than others. The Velocity is great, but it's not the best flavor for me. Clouds come with air. Air dilutes flavor and the Velo spits a lot of juice out of itself. Love it for everything it is, so much, I bought the authentic. Don't love it the most... Veritas (EHPro clone)... great flavor! Not great air, but that's fine from time to time. It's bone dry. Everything else I have is authentic except (maybe) the Steamboat... as close as I'll come to a Tugboat v2 but it's a nice piece! If I had the spare scratch, I think the v2 Tug and the Veritas authentic are probably worth owning. Vaping an Archon now. I don't have enough time on it. Nice package! I'm not getting great flavor, but it could be my build... COV Aris Pro... great flavor, not much air at all. Just sold, but maybe should've kept it. Vulcan's a keeper. Jaybo Comp Cap not sure. I think my best is a mundane piece but it checks all the right boxes for me... The Vector does everything right (that I need), and it's bone dry. That's all I got - for now.

Oh, ok (almost forgot)... you we're hoping for a best of the best reco - well I've got one for ya... I've no experience with this... but I have an old friend whose son does vaping reviews on YouTube. Not a big name but he has a growing following and a lot more experience than many... His favorite RDA is the Aeronaut. It's not very expensive either. You might want to give it some consideration. -Later.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Why are those premade coils spaced? Are they for temp control? Sorry if it was mentioned as i missed it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Which pre-made coils are you referring to?

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
My first builds make yours look perfect. Its definatly not rocket surgery, but there is a knack to it. Soon, you'll be able to wrap coils for 2 different attys, while texting and eating Tai with chopsticks.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Veritas (EHPro clone)... great flavor! Not great air, but that's fine from time to time. It's bone dry.
Have you looked at or tried a Marquis? Similar concept. I have a clone. Recommended to me by an LVS. Of my three RDAs (the other two being a Plume Veil and Velocity Mini), it's the one with the most flavour, by far.

I think my best is a mundane piece but it checks all the right boxes for me... The Vector does everything right (that I need), and it's bone dry.
Have you looked at or tried a Sapor? Also a top flow RDA. That's what I plan to get next.

... I have an old friend whose son does vaping reviews on YouTube. ... His favorite RDA is the Aeronaut. It's not very expensive either. You might want to give it some consideration. -Later.
Interesting.

Izen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@ vuJim - maybe I shouldn't have posted all that above. It says a lot, but still not very much, almost a disservice to these pieces individually... and it seems a rush to judgement. I haven't expressed a lot of other factors that keep me interested and keep these pieces in my stable. All are keepers for me because I've had good vaping experiences with all of them, but I'm a master of none. It's a learning process, and I'm no different than anyone else. I like to experiment with different builds. I like to change it up to see what I'll get. There are so many coil variables, I get stoked. I use different wraps of 24, 26, 28ga, Kanthal often but not always twisted, also 26/32 Claptons, sometimes verticals sometimes singles. Still have a lot of different permutations of builds to try out with these attys... but I'm a simple guy. Nothing too exotic like the fused, stapled, parallel twisted whatever coils (haha lol)... I think they're pretty cool and the folks running 'em, but those styles are way over my head and nowhere that I need to go for my own satisfaction.

I'm not bored yet but I've set myself a limit to seven RDA's and I think the next one is probably going to be an Aeolus lite. The Sapor? - Don't think so... Don't think it would match the Vector and even if the vape did... the construction quality doesn't. You should read some of the Sapor thread over at ECF especially the last page or so... The Marquis? Isn't that an improved Veritas? (I'm kidding).... I like a challenging build - sometimes - and it looks very similar to the Veritas because it is. Even though I like a challenge, that one's already a pain in the ass to build, not because it's difficult, it isn't, but it's the only deck I consistently get a hot leg on the positive terminal. Bothers me. I haven't found a solution yet ... YOU might consider a Vector before throwing down funds on a Sapor. Prices are sharp in a few places, it'll cost you less. It's an authentic from an authentic manufacturer.

Re: low end producers of RDA's (clone mfg'ers, generally speaking)... I have an insiders manufacturing background (a broad statement I know, but)... From a mfg. perspective in simplest terms it's all about quality. I'd sooner own a lower-end piece from a quality manufacturer... than an 'authentic' from a factory whose usual SOP is to bang 'em out the door. I think the differences between the Vector & Sapor illustrate this nicely. I don't mean to 'denigrate' the Sapor. I posted earlier that some folks love it. I'm aware of that. Also, it's not fair of me to voice an opinion of something that I've no direct experience of... still.

Just occurred to me - duh! - I've diverted far from the OP topic and so my apologies for doing this...

Last edited:

Sahsah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I put "build" in quotes, in the subject, because all I really did was install two of the pre-made coils that came with the tank and wicked it. I used the included cotton.

Please let me know what how I did?

First_Build-01.JPG

First_Build-02.JPG

First_Build-03.JPG

It came out to .32Ω. I'm running it at a mere 24W. Even then: If I vape too long or too frequently I can get a burned taste. This is with max VG juice, juice ports fully open and air about half-way open.

I suspect, looking at my pictures, I probably could have used a bit more wick?

I've got 26 ga. Kanthal and and a roll of Native Wicks. I think I want higher coil resistance for the way I vape. There are six wraps on the included coils. Looks like I can easily get ten in there. I'm thinking ten, on a 3mm coil size, will probably get me up closer to .8Ω or more?
You know, as much as it may surprise you, if you're getting burnt hits it means you have too much cotton, not too little. Looks like you packed it pretty tightly into your juice channel pockets. You don't want it to be so tight that it restricts juice flow, therefore you want to just gently tuck it in so it reaches the bottom but making sure that it's still loose and not jammed in. Like if you hypothetically wanted to put more cotton In it should be easy, not difficult, that's the ideal density you're looking for.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Follow My Tut HERE for wicking with Pics (Its the Griffin, but same concept)

Sahsah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hahaha!

So, this morning, coffee... Yay! Vape time! 1st vape: Mmmm. Second vape: Hmmm. 3rd vape: Burned! :( WTF?!?!

Then I remember: Following the advice I'd seen about leaving the tank sit overnight: I'd closed the juice holes
shake.gif
As I noted, earlier: I tried the method recommended in OBS Crius RTA Review on Youtube. Maybe I didn't trim enough for one-or-more of the channels?

It occurred to me, this morning... what if one trimmed the ends into an inverted "V" shape, so the ends of the wicks straddled the juice ports...? ISTM it's the blocking of the juice ports that induces the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, but airflow is already wide open, and if I dial back the power I lose flavour.

*nod*

I eventually plan to build my own coils, and go much higher sub-ohm, or maybe even supra-ohm. But this should work. So I'm going to keep hacking at it until it does :p
Honestly, this isn't an issue that can be resolved by raising your build's resistance, if anything you'll just be masking the problem and Che ating yourself out of the Vape you could and honestly should be getting. The issue is with the wicking, it almost always is with rta's. I'm running a .3 ohm dual coil build at 50 watts and I can take four second relaxed lazy drags without any worry of a burnt hit. I'm telling you bro, just stick with it, it'll eventually just click for you and then you'll have it "down pat" from then on. What's also nice is that once you really nail down how to sick an RTA like this and you understand the fundamentals you can take that and apply it to virtually any RTA, rdta (which don't even get me started on that bullshit...like unless it's something like the fountain it should just be called an RTA), subtank rba section, and even rda's. Just ask lots of questions and you'll have it In no time. Reddit is a helpful place as well as all the main forums including this one = ]
Good luck my vaping brother, I believe In You = ]

Sahsah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Does anyone know what the pre-made coils that come with the crius are made of? I think they're either stainless or nichrome just bc of the colors the wire changed when I was pulsing them. Appreciate any informed info any of my Vape fam out there can provide, thanks and Vape on my cloudy compatriots = ]

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Does anyone know what the pre-made coils that come with the crius are made of? I think they're either stainless or nichrome just bc of the colors the wire changed when I was pulsing them. Appreciate any informed info any of my Vape fam out there can provide, thanks and Vape on my cloudy compatriots = ]
They are Kanthal, 32g I believe. Believe it or not but Kanthal Also can change colors when heated...
I love my Crius Build...when I was using my Crius I mean...
Crius.jpg Crius .jpg

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
All kinds of people have had all kinds of problems with leaking/weeping/seeping from the seam above the AFC ring--after refilling, after vaping, after not vaping, after a full moon--you name it. That's why you don't see much new conversation about the Crius. It's somewhat of a dead product. Nobody much likes a tank that leaks e-liquid all over creation for no particularly good reason. (Unless you count poor design and/or manufacturing quality as good reasons.)

VU Sponsors