My Organizing Solution

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The last few days I've been making mod stands, but I wanted something better for my DIY flavors, too.

I made this holder:

DSC00281.jpg

It holds 28 2 dram vials and 32 1 dram vials.

I made the 1 dram holes ever so slightly small, though. The glass fits, but the labels make them too big, so the won't fit any further into the holes. I'll adjust on my next ones.

I'll see what else I can come up with for various storage solutions.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I like neat, clean solutions like that. Your avatar showing (mod stands?) more deserves a bigger picture somewhere here!

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just had an idea for an even better solution.

More to come...

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I may make this later:

rack_proto.jpg
This one'll need to wait until at least tomorrow, but I'm thinking multi-level rack. This is the 1 dram, and I'd have 2 dram, 10ml, 15ml, and 30ml levels, too.

We had a shit-storm here last night and earlier today, and I need that to blow over a little.

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This one'll need to wait until at least tomorrow, but I'm thinking multi-level rack. This is the 1 dram, and I'd have 2 dram, 10ml, 15ml, and 30ml levels, too.

We had a shit-storm here last night and earlier today, and I need that to blow over a little.
Interested to see how this turns out. I'm currently trying to figure out a storage solution for myself.

Have ~150 8ml drams from WL.
~150 FA 10ml's coming from BCV
~50 4oz from TFA
~50 misc 30 ml

I built a bookshelf like item with a bar across the front out of 1x3's that's working for the time being but it's definitely not as efficient as it could be. My biggest challenge is that I want to be able to see all of the flavor labels from the front, so a grid system (best for space) is out for me.

Definitely thinking something multitier is the way to go.

I also need a place to store finished juice product with visible labels.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That would be a challenge!

Tiered is definitely best for you, but how much room do you have for this?

Will you be sitting in front of it mixing, or will you be pulling flavors down per-recipe?

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That would be a challenge!

Tiered is definitely best for you, but how much room do you have for this?

Will you be sitting in front of it mixing, or will you be pulling flavors down per-recipe?

I have two desks in my mixing space. I'm thinking of dedicating one to mixing and one to miscellaneous paperwork and computer use. The big desk that I think I'll be mixing on is 31 1/2" x 63". I'm thinking of using the back 1/3rd of the desk for a teired storage area.

I'll likely break it into multiple sections just to maintain versatility for the future, could always move a section onto a closet shelf or something then.

Here's what I just whipped up in the garage over the last hour while chatting with the neighbors as well as the shelf already hanging on my wall. Both need some paint/stain.

http://imgur.com/gallery/Qu1aE/new

Edit: Not the prettiest looking but I'm going for effectiveness here and need something by Tuesday. Been searching all weekend for the right thing but just can't find it. I'm no craftsmen! lol

Last edited:

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice!

I was just thinking about it now that you've given dimensions.

What about a carousel-type arrangement? I was thinking tiered multi-layers in a round configuration. Each foot of diameter would give you approximately three feet of linear rack space. A couple of those, and you may have your solution! :)

Botboy141

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Nice!

I was just thinking about it now that you've given dimensions.

What about a carousel-type arrangement? I was thinking tiered multi-layers in a round configuration. Each foot of diameter would give you approximately three feet of linear rack space. A couple of those, and you may have your solution! :)

Carousel would be awesome but I would have no idea how to go about something like that. Like I said before, I'm nothing close to a craftsmen, just a guy with a sawsall, circular saw, and some screws. I'd prefer to have all labels visible @ all times but a carousel would suffice and most likely be more efficient. I could even see a 20" x 20" carousel layered up like 7-8 layers, probably providing enough space for a hundred or more 10ml drams.

If you are interested in the work (saw you saying you could use extra $$ in your OP about your mod stands) I would definitely be interested in commissioning something like you described. Shoot me a PM @ your convenience and we can talk details. My biggest challenge is my variety of bottle sizes.

Last edited:

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I could do something, but I hate to say...it wouldn't exactly be cheap.

It does give me tons of ideas, though!

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Let me clarify that...first, if you look at the line art I posted above for what I was thinking of making, the labels would be mostly visible, certainly enough to tell which flavors they are. :)

Second, it takes a while on my machine to do this type of stuff, and solid wood isn't the cheapest to purchase. I'm not drilling a bunch of holes, I'm essentially machining wood (as you can see with my pockets :) ).

I can always work up a plan and get you a quote if you're interested! :) Shipping may be a killer, too, though...

But, as I said, I have tons of ideas about this! :D

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm thinking stepped, AND multi-level. :)

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Emilie, I love your work. These are great!!
My father and both grandfathers were "cabinet makers" and the only nail I could ever hit was the one on my left thumb. Actually, I live in a condominium and have no room for the saws, drills, and sawdust... I'm jealous!

But, mother being the necessity of invention, I have been forced to take different approaches in my DIY organization. Styrofoam and rubber (like) casting molds.

Styrafoam:
cab-6_zpsf739d938.jpg

Molding/casting:
mold-6_zpse393eb60.jpg

mold-8_zps6249643d.jpg

The molding material is easy to make. Combine vegetable glycerin (yes, our vg), unflavored gelatine, and water - 40/40/20 ratios. Heat carefully in short microwave oven bursts until smoothly blended. Pour. (Complete details available upon request.)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been impressed with your molding material since you first mentioned it to me and then posted it here! :)

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Second, it takes a while on my machine to do this type of stuff, and solid wood isn't the cheapest to purchase. I'm not drilling a bunch of holes, I'm essentially machining wood (as you can see with my pockets :) ).

Have you tried working with acrylic?
Are you using a commercially available machine, or is it a kit / DIY CNC?

(Forgive me if I've asked this of you already; I talk to a ton of people about CNC work as my day job centers around AutoCAD and production of flat files for our CNC)

Last edited:

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Have you tried working with acrylic?
Are you using a commercially available machine, or is it a kit / DIY CNC?

(Forgive me if I've asked this of you already; I talk to a ton of people about CNC work as my day job centers around AutoCAD and production of flat files for our CNC)

How about I answer your first question with a link: ;)
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/mod-stand-materials.8301/#post-125582

(sorry)

Also, while I WISH we could afford a commercial machine, my husband has said that several of the people he's worked with have seen some of our work and told him that our router will do things that the commercial ones they work with can't do, so I can't complain too much. :)

It's not full-DIY, but it is a kit. It's certainly not one of those MDF routers. Ours uses aluminum extrusions and steel parts.

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lol. Dunno how I missed that; I'd looked at that post last week.

Nice work! It looks like you're getting pretty clean edges on that acrylic.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks!

Actually, the bit was a tad dull by the time I cut that acrylic, so there's a little bit of burr on the edges, but overall our router does well with acrylic. The burr is easy to knock off.

I'd like to get some frosted acrylic. I think that may look even classier.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors