Become a Patron!

My vapor coil always tastes burned

Guys, I'm gonna cry trying everything but nothing works.
I have had a an Eleaf 60W TC battery with Innokin iSub Atomizer, I use 0.5 coils. I have tried many brands liquids, and I went from lowest wattage to the maximum I can take, I can't take long vape it makes me cough, and the coil will tastes burned very fast.

Anyway I thought the battery and atomizer not compatible, I bought a complete kit (Cool Fire IV TC 100W) with Stainless steel 0.5 coil, same thing happens, just one day works fine, and started to taste like burned and make me cough!!

What is going wrong!! Some hints please.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like your coils are not wicking like they should are you chain vaping ? And on the coils them self do you see a recommended watt range ? If you can take some pictures of the gear and post them that will help folks figure out what might be going on. And also a brief example of how you Vape like long hits short hits etc etc. I'm sure others will chime in to help we don't like burned hits.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

I use the SS one in the picture, but I never can hot 30W as mentioned, I reach 20W and I can barely vape for 2 seconds, can it be the liquid I'm buying? Though I bought 2 brands and they do the same! I changed Atomizer, I changed Battery, What else I can change lol

Attachments

• 20170707_211118.jpg
    20170707_211118.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170707_211141.jpg
    20170707_211141.jpg
    462.4 KB · Views: 15

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I use the SS one in the picture, but I never can hot 30W as mentioned, I reach 20W and I can barely vape for 2 seconds, can it be the liquid I'm buying? Though I bought 2 brands and they do the same! I changed Atomizer, I changed Battery, What else I can change lol

There are a lot of factors going on you are not taking into consideration.

1) Vaping Style the mod (battery) and atomizer (tank) are independent, the tank proving what style it falls in. These vaping types for devices are Mouth to Lung (MTL/M2L) which is just like a cigarette draw and pull, very tight, low powered, restrictive airflow generally in the 6 to 15watts range and a coil ohm range of 1.2ohms to 3.0ohms, then there is Direct to Lung (DTL/D2L) which are looser airflow, higher powered, less restrictive in the 20 to 25watts plus range and what is termed "Sub-Ohm" coils that measure below 1.0ohms, which is similar in draw and pull to clearing the chamber on water xxxx for the funky tobacco. Not to say a "Sub-Ohm" coil can not be used lower powered and in MTL application, it will be still a bit warmer than a standard MTL device, if you are at 30watts or even 20watts and you are not D2L vaping you will scorch not only your wicking as that airflow is needed to cool the coil via evaporation of your liquid, but also you liquid as well. If you are MTL on your tank try D2L at first, or if you are D2L and having these problems then we move down to these next points that follow.
2) The tank coil head, or coil cartridge, these are the engine of any vaping device, if they are not primed and cared for properly, they will scorch your wicking and make for a terrible vape. Proper priming on "Any" new coil is as follows
2a) Saturate the wicking properly on any fresh out of the package coil, take your juice applicator and soak all that exposed white material, not so much that you have a pool of juice in the coil head which will be a flooded coil, but just enough that the wicking, most times organic cotton, looks wet and tinted in the color of your juice, after which install the coil into the tank, fill the tank and let it set about 5 minutes for a thinner 50PG/50VG liquid to about 15 minutes for a 20PG/80VG thicker liquid, this lets the wicking soak up more liquid enough that it doesn't flood by over saturation by hand.
2b) Set your mod's watts low, if a coil has a wattage range of say 30watts low to 70watts high, set the mod to about 20 to 25watts for these next initial firings, after take a few puffs rapidly without firing the mod at all, after which in shorter about max 5second firings fire up the device, stay at this level for about 15 to 20minutes continuous use, after which bump up the watts about 5 to 10 watts, and again vape on that for about another 15 to 20minutes continuous use, rinse and repeat this until you reach nirvana flavor with that particular juice and coil, the moment you start to feel a dry or lowered flavor at a higher watt setting, back it down about 5watts, this will be the sweet spot for that juice and coil together (yes juice plays a very significant factor, some juices love high watts while other love lower watts)
2c) At any time you get a harsh, scorched hit, tear out the coil, replace, start at 2a again, and start over you've scorched and ruined the wicking.
3) Juices themselves can be detrimental to the longevity of a coil head, the sweeter, darker, more colorings, more cream or bakery the flavor, tobacco flavors (especially Whole Tobacco Alkaloid and Naturally Extracted Tobacco types are coil killers), coffees etc, these impurities in the liquids and flavorings don't vaporize off, so thus either collect up on the wire and in the wicking (gunking and plugging things up) leading to carbonization in the case of colorings and flavorings, to crystalization in the case of major sweeteners in the liquid, which can lead to wicking scorching. The more you move away from an unflavored, unsweetened just a clear pg, vg, and nicotine in a liquid the worse your coil longevity.

Coils on average should last from 3days for very high powered coils with very sweet and creamy flavors up to 2 to 3 weeks or a month with a straight unflavored liquid at lower power settings. Its frustrating but you have to dance the dance to find the right balance with any vape device in your life, quite a lot like a marriage, the device needs to adjust to you, but you also have to adjust to the device's limitations just as much.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The iSub Standard Coil 2.0ohm 10 - 16watts is a straight Mouth To Lung
the iSub KAL BVC 2.0ohm 10 to 25watts can be run Mouth To Lung (lower watts settings closer to 10watts) and can be run Direct to Lung (higher toward its max 25watts)

All the other coils are D2L coil heads given their resistances and wattage ranges being 20watts plus.

Puff

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your pictures are not showing and wow great advice.

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

The iSub Standard Coil 2.0ohm 10 - 16watts is a straight Mouth To Lung
the iSub KAL BVC 2.0ohm 10 to 25watts can be run Mouth To Lung (lower watts settings closer to 10watts) and can be run Direct to Lung (higher toward its max 25watts)

All the other coils are D2L coil heads given their resistances and wattage ranges being 20watts plus.

Alright then I will re purchase the SS BVC 0.5 for DTL
What wattage you advise me to start with?
I'm just trying to follow your steps

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could be the juice partly also.... nic too high for wattage.... juice too thick to wick..well. PG too high. Harsh flavor.

Always start a new coil or build at the lowest wattage that produces vapor... then work it up till you get a good vape. If using TC I set temp at my prefered and wattage about 10% higher than VW.

I run .5ohm coil at between 10 and 75 watts.... just depends on the coil I built.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Alright then I will re purchase the SS BVC 0.5 for DTL
What wattage you advise me to start with?
I'm just trying to follow your steps

As the standard wattage range on those SS coils list 30 to 60watts (this is the nominal or average range) you could probably get by running them between 20 to 70watts, priming one of them I'd start probably at about 20watts to start at first then bump up to their low nominal setting of 30 watts the next stage. As @HondaDavidson just posted, D2L devices generally will be lower nic level than a MTL device, example if to get your nic fix on a MTL @ 10 watts you would be running a 12mg (1.2%) nic liquid, but once you move to a tank that does 20 to 30watts you'd probably be in the 6mg (0.6%) nic range then as you would be vaping 2X the amount of nic per volume (2x the heat in watts = 2x the nic exposure), PG also has an effect as it is the main flavor transport compared to VG is sweeter and less of a throat hit (punch in the back of the throat), but what you are describing is either juice gunking and/or wicking burning out if it is tasting like charcoal or such.

cloudblast

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Big help for me? Cover the air inlets at the bottom and without firing, take 2-4 little pulls into your mouth like a cigarette, forcing a little more juice into the cotton. Really helpful for chain vaping too. Do it every 15ish consecutive pulls. Start your coil at veery low wattage after priming really well and take a few pulls then step up the wattage a few watts at a time. My coils last easily 3 weeks and i vape really hard. Try the uwell crown 1. Ali express has them for only 19 bucks. Best tank and coils ever. I like the .5 SS coils the most

VU Sponsors