Become a Patron!

Need 2 DNA Mods (single and dual/triple 18650). Small. Simple.

vapesmooth1234

Member For 4 Years
hoping to save some time on research and get some recommendations for 2 new DNA mods, small size for their category (1 a single 18650 and the other a dual or triple [or can do 2/3 18650 like the VT250s]). My vt250s broke, CHECK BATTERY ERROR, had some suggestions from evolv's forum, had to get warranty, it broke again after warranty.
Now my DNA Hcigar VT75 nana is giving TOO HOT error sometimes. Googling suggests need to warranty for new chip but is past warranty. Maybe I can reset fix it in escribe but I still want a new single 18650 MOD.

Despite these DNA problems (also had a DNA200 Rolo onboard charger stop working) 3 for 3 broken DNAs within about 18 months of purchase, I still want both new mods to be DNA because I always charge through the USB port and DNAs are the safest in that regard.

I want them simple (no deep menus) and I know there's newer color DNA mods which might have confusing menus, but hopefully not.
I want them small and less bulky as possible but not going to go nuts over the size thing again like I did when finding the VT75nano and VT250s to save a half inch or something in-pocket.

I need one big mod that can hold 2 or 3 18650s (or has a changeable battery door to fit 2 or 3 18650s) as my main at-home MOD which I will also try some giant builds on. I know regulated mods aren't going to give as much power as a mod made for huge builds but I can still get decent power and battery life with the right dual or triple 18650 - the huge builds are just sort of for fun/testing, other than that I just build small single coils and vape low wattage.

the other single 18560 mod is for out and about small to fit in pocket but no less than an 18650 in case I forget to charge it overnight will still have good battery life.

I do have quality chargers but I am so used to just using the onboard DNA charger (which yes is safe and balanced but maybe it's why my DNAs keep breaking but maybe not, and maybe the newer ones won't break. Maybe a yiHi mod also which is said to be safe/balanced onboard charging but I'd rather stick with evolve since they have a forum etc.

I guess price range is about $100 per mod. THANKS!!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I'm having trouble understanding why box yourself into a corner for usb charging? When you have an external?
Don't get me wrong, I think DNA is a very good choice. But your unclear on C or not? In case the theme isn't simple? Have you looked at themes?
I personally wouldn't buy a DNA unless it was C.
For out and about. Mirage w/ 40T or P42A will last longer than 18650. I bought a Drag Mini for that purpose.
Do you need more than 75w on the 2/3 battery mod?

vapesmooth1234

Member For 4 Years
I dunno, I guess because all my outlets are already cluttered I don't want to always have larger chargers going when I can just plug the usb into my powered hub. Or in the car adapter if running low, don't have to worry batteries are married or not and mixed up, don't have to have spare sets when I can just vape passthrough, or always opening closing the mod to get cells out.

I have only dual bay Xtar vc2 chargers so a triple 18650 will need both, or get a third charger more clutter, I don't really want a giant triple 18650 anymore though.

not totally closed to the option of dedicated charger though.

for the bigger at-home mod, I don't think I even need more than 75 W. I mean usually I twist some dual Clapton kanthal about 5 times single coil and am only at 9-15 Watts. I just want to try ridiculous quad builds in a 30mm velicity RDA I bought just for fun now and then clouds. I'm not going to get a special mod just for that, but there are certain batteries made for more power but less battery life (something like VTC5 vs 6). I'm ok with having a special set just for the heavy builds too.

Have not tried temp control but really would like to.. So need TC.

TBH I'm kind of fed up with the DNA stuff breaking on me within 18 months 3 for 3, MAYBE it's because I always USB charged them but maybe not, but they are still praised for their safety and overall quality, so maybe DNA ok

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
If you haven't but want TC, DNA C has Replay that makes it easy. Not that it's hard to set it up manually on DNA or other mods.

There's a few 2x18650 DNA 75C mods but they are hard to find. The international version of the software gives it a 100w boost and you can run it full blast at 75W w/out concern for the board.

Vapecige Creator 75C is 2x18650 and sounds like a really good fit for what you want, 30mm atty fits too, but they are like hen's teeth now.
Lost Vape Paranormal 2x18650 75C or 250C
Vapecige VT Box 250C
Boxer and Rebel are higher priced.

It might mean buying a couple 21700's, but a pair of them gets you 30 regulated amps and 8,000+ Mah between charges. Good for TC.
https://vapordna.com/products/voopoo-x217

Last edited:

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is the Lost Vape Therion DNA 75c, I have one. I like it a lot. Not great battery life. I also have a DNA250c squonk mod, dual 18650 (i put an rta on it most times). Can fit 30mm atty no issues. I love it. 3D printed.

https://www.elementvape.com/vapecige-vtx200-squonk-starter-kit

It isn't anything special, but it doesn't have some of the issues that people complain about with the Boxer/Rebel Mods. (Battery door not staying on). The battery door clips in. It is worth $120 all day. I might even grab another one. Lastly, I have a regular old DNA250 asMODus Oni that I love. Nothing fancy, but tc on it is great and battery life is insane. I got that over at vaporrange.com

vapesmooth1234

Member For 4 Years
ok some are older mods, am surprised not tons of new suggestions from the last ~year that I haven't looked at MODs.

I might try a DNA75C mod. I wish my VT250s wasn't giving me problems because it can dual or triple 18650, I have to hard reset and tinker with that one but if it's the dna250 chip then I won't get another dna250.

no leather mods for me BTW I don't buy leather/snake skin etc.

The VT75Nano that was giving TOO HOT error I think I solved. Probably more of a Hcigar problem: took it fully apart and cleaned it (wasn't much juice in it, surprisingly very waterproof, but I haven't had bad leaky builds, but for a year+ it looked good inside maybe 1 eye drop of juice in total) - some say TOO HOT means it fell or juice got in.

Anyway I found one of the two wires from chip-to-510 either rubbed or melted away the wire coating and may have had raw silver fine strands wires directly touching the metal housing. Put a new build in it and it's working for now, but this mod I'm giving to someone who can use it for the chip/ re-solder a new wire. I'm considering another one of these but can't really find it in stock.

I recently got a digi camera that uses rechargeable NiMh AA batteries (I figure the less li-ion cells I have the safer from fire hazard lol), so I'll need a charger on deck at all times anyway, so if I have to get a non DNA mod it's not that big a deal but I might still stick w/ DNA. BTW, single cell MODs are said to be very safe to usb charge, it's when you try and charge multiple cells in the MOD that you need balanced charging. I never rotated 3 cells for ~1 year and they all read same voltages on a digi and a ~$500 analog meter, so I do trust the DNA onboard.

Pretty sure unBalanced charging in a cheap MOD is the same risk as unBalanaced Discharging multiple cells in a cheap MOD - even if charged safely in an external, it can go thermal/explode just by using (discharging) the MOD, but I still wouldn't charge a non-DNA via USB.

88ArDeN88

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok some are older mods, am surprised not tons of new suggestions from the last ~year that I haven't looked at MODs.

I might try a DNA75C mod. I wish my VT250s wasn't giving me problems because it can dual or triple 18650, I have to hard reset and tinker with that one but if it's the dna250 chip then I won't get another dna250.

no leather mods for me BTW I don't buy leather/snake skin etc.

The VT75Nano that was giving TOO HOT error I think I solved. Probably more of a Hcigar problem: took it fully apart and cleaned it (wasn't much juice in it, surprisingly very waterproof, but I haven't had bad leaky builds, but for a year+ it looked good inside maybe 1 eye drop of juice in total) - some say TOO HOT means it fell or juice got in.

Anyway I found one of the two wires from chip-to-510 either rubbed or melted away the wire coating and may have had raw silver fine strands wires directly touching the metal housing. Put a new build in it and it's working for now, but this mod I'm giving to someone who can use it for the chip/ re-solder a new wire. I'm considering another one of these but can't really find it in stock.

I recently got a digi camera that uses rechargeable NiMh AA batteries (I figure the less li-ion cells I have the safer from fire hazard lol), so I'll need a charger on deck at all times anyway, so if I have to get a non DNA mod it's not that big a deal but I might still stick w/ DNA. BTW, single cell MODs are said to be very safe to usb charge, it's when you try and charge multiple cells in the MOD that you need balanced charging. I never rotated 3 cells for ~1 year and they all read same voltages on a digi and a ~$500 analog meter, so I do trust the DNA onboard.

Pretty sure unBalanced charging in a cheap MOD is the same risk as unBalanaced Discharging multiple cells in a cheap MOD - even if charged safely in an external, it can go thermal/explode just by using (discharging) the MOD, but I still wouldn't charge a non-DNA via USB.
The only reason I wouldn’t recommend the 75c is battery life. It is notoriously bad. If it’s a 2 cell mod (non squonk) it should be fine. Even a 2x700. But the therion is like my fun at home mod that gives a great vape but after ~50 puffs I have to change the battery.

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
When you start talking about 3x 18650's, the size of the device goes out the window. 2x battery mods are pretty small (compared to the Triade IMO), but why 18650's? Why not a LiPo pack?

IMG_20190428_084034.jpg

Since USB charging seems to be something you want, a LiPo is best suited for that. 18650's when charged via USB usually results in unbalanced charging (even on the newer chips) from what I've seen.

casketweaver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
get what figured out ? the sidways pic ?

Yeah, I mean I have an idea, not that it helps at this point. The picture was taken with the camera facing upright. And it doesn't allow me to upload (due to size limits - and new phone) without first sending it to my friends SPAM DISCORD for linking later (also because she clears the DISC info and we swap shit back and forth).

CactusFanaticus

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Single cell non-squonk dna’s are getting scarce for some reason, not as many available as there used to be.
For a single cell dna75 I definitely recommend the Jac Vapour Series B dna75, can’t get much smaller and the price isn’t bad
219-D12-F3-F7-FB-415-A-B054-F3079695-A44-A.jpg

29410-C5-F-9-CC6-4-BE1-B27-F-4-D912-DA1153-D.jpg

jojo5353

Bronze Contributor
MUD Slinger
i got a dna 75 custom made box mod for 115.00 if u wnt it pm me

Attachments

• dna 75.jpg
    dna 75.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 2

VU Sponsors