Become a Patron!

Need help learning how to build a coil

It's been a long time since I had a unregulated mod. I got one at the beginning of this year. And it's a geek vape Athena squank mod. Right now I've been running a dual Eric Clapton stair case pre built coils. On a 3015 mah 18650 high ohem life battery. What gauge of wire and brand would give me the best cloud with food flavor and how many wraps?? I remember some of the basics.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Is this the battery you're using?

Also, do you have an ohm reader or a regulated mod that you can use to test the resistance of any coils you build? It's a must to have one or the other, because it isn't safe to put an untested and unknown coil on a mech mod like the Athena. That mod has no protections, so you have to do your due diligence on both the battery and the coil.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
In general, here's what I like.

• Kanthal wire at 26 awg.
  • Coils wound up 5 to 7 wraps around a 3 mm mandrel.
  • This gives me a decent range for a single coil at 0.30 to 0.50Ω, and that in general ought to keep you relatively safe on a single cell 20 amp+ 18650 battery mod.
  • It produces good vapor, flavor I find. You may not get Cloudz Brah style clouds each time, you do get at least modest clouds. Not a cloud or flavor chaser, I vape to get the nicotine mainly.

Please, though, do your own research and try to stay safe. Can only offer opinion, preference, as a general "guide". Don't ask questions that seek to define "best". "Best" will always be elusive because it is subjective. What you think is best I may find worse, and so on.

VU Sponsors