Become a Patron!

Need help - super frusterated with dry hitting

So,
I recently just bought my first vape. I did lots of research and found that the Smok Alien kit was the right way to go, so I bought the kit, took it home, and was having only the best experience for a few days. Great. Then I soon noticed that it tasted burnt, so I did my research and found that I should take a look at my atomizer. I had a smok baby beast tank, and switched whatever was preinstalled in it at the time to the T8 coil. When I did this, I primed it up and did everything I could find online to avoid it tasting burnt, but I was still unfortunate enough to taste that same disgusting taste. So then I took it in to a shop. They basically told me nothing was wrong with it and then offered to install a new T8 anyways, so I let them do so, did exactly what they told me, they primed it up good and I thought I was ready to go, just to be once again very dissapointed. Then, i decided that it was time to just upgrade to the TFV12 tank because it was on sale and I was tired of dealing with the current situation that I was experiencing with my baby beast. I installed the TFV12, primed up my coil, did everything I could to avoid dry hitting, and yet it still tastes burnt. I even tried switching to the Q4 coil (whichever one has the lightning bolts on it) and it still help. I've kept my wattage low, I take breaks in between puffs, and I keep my tank filled. I don't know what else to do. I'm super disappointed with my whole experience. Whenever I used to take puffs of my friends' similar setups, i never noticed these issues. I've already spent so much money (everything I've bought is brand new too) and I feel as if i'm going nowhere. I'm very tempted to sell everything already. If I could get some guidance it would be very appreciated.

Dagoroth

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Make sure your wattage is within the advised range. I have noticed that the Baby/Big Baby Beast coils tend to burnout quickly if ran near the max suggested wattage.
I have been buying the 0.4 ohm M2 coil for my Big Baby Beast for a long time now. It suggests that I vape it at 55-65 watts and that it can be ran at 40-80 watts. I have noticed that if I run it over 60 watts and hit it once or twice with a few seconds in between it will burn. These coils are not designed to be ran at that high of a level. I think Smok put those on the sides of their coils meaning that you can vape these coils at higher wattages but for a shorter amount of time. I tend to like my vape at a higher wattage and to hit it for a shorter period of time anyway so i stay around 50 watts with the 0.4 ohm coil and at about 65-70 with the 0.2 ohm coil. Then I only hit my vape for a second. then hit it again 4-6 seconds later after i see bubbles coming from the wicking slots inside the tank ( i dont always look at the bubbles lol, i just assume they are there.)
Anyway, I recently got a Wismec Gnome tank and now my Smok ProColor has a Gnome sitting on top of it. I like the Gnome a LOT more. I will most likely sell my Smok tank to a friend later on.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I went to the RBA shortly after buying the BB because the coils did not last very long at all (generally about 3-4 days. I have heard others on the forum with the same complaints. Since you just started vaping it might be a stretch for you to start building right away so a different tank may be the remedy. I only use rebuildables now so I cant really suggest the best tank for you but I am sure others will chime in. I understand that you have already invested money in your gear but sometimes it takes some trial and error to find what works for you. Don't give up. Vaping is responsible for getting a lot of people off the stinkies and the investment will definitely pay off in the long run. I do buy some things at my local vape shop because I want to support them but buying online will save you a lot of money. The markup on vape gear at some shops is really up there. You can also trade on this forum for a different tank if you want to. Once you find what you like, you will not be disappointed. Hang in there !!!!

vaporscout

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the baby beast and the big baby beast and I had the same issues with both. The only way I could solve the issues was to buy an Aspire Cleito tank to go on my sigelei classic 90 watt, which is my main setup for daily vaping. The other two tanks are sitting on my baby alien(al85) and switched out when I switch flavors in them but I barely touch them. So what I would suggest for you is to get the Cleito120 tank to put on your alien since that line gives me more flavor and about the same amount of clouds.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Consider adjusting your wattage and avoid chain vaping too quickly. When you chain vape, you don't give the wicks enough time to re-saturate, which is especially difficult with higher VG ejuices.

spr258

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had the same problem. I am not sure if it is a burnt taste but it just doesn't taste right. I was using Q2 .4 on my bb and even turned down the watts to under the recommended watts. I had it set to 25 watts. Still the flavor wasn't there. I even had a flavor that taste chemically. Picked up a RTA two days ago and it is completely different. No muted flavor, no chemical taste, and I am so much happier.

It can depend on how long you take a hit too. I like low temp longer draws. 5-6 seconds.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
what I have found with those tanks is that you prime them, and then let them sit for a few hours. There's a lot of cotton to get saturated. Start vaping at the low end of the recommend wattage range and then increase by 3 watts, take a few toots, increase by 3 watts until you get nice juicy clouds. I was running the quad coil setup in my baby and used 80 watts. There is a sweet spot for vapor and flavor production. There is a difference between tasting the break in flavor of the coils getting coated, and cotton burned flavor.

Juice is also a factor, some juices taste like shit at high watts, some like high VG Custards only shine when you vape at high watts.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've never used that type of tank but I do know with rebuildables that is you soak the cotton and then vaporise off most of the juice before juicing it up again the cotton seems to absorb faster. Maybe you could try when setting up a coil priming it with juice and then firing the coil before you stick it in the tank with juice, then prime it up again and fill your tank with juice. Don't know if it will definitely solve this problem but it is one thing I've observed with building my own. Hope it helps.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Nu2Ju

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I will start by saying most of this sounds like Charlie Brown & the Peanuts cartoon to me but will share what has helped me. I am very new and an ex-smoker. I tend to chain vape & was burning coils super fast. I do not have any knowledge on your system & barely comprehend mine but if you are chain vaping like I did/do I will offer what has helped me. I cut my air flow down & even off between vapes then "prime" by drawing to bring up the juice before opening air flow & hitting again. The lower air flow feels more like a stinky stick draw than with it open. I have also discovered a 70/30 blend wicks faster than the 80/20. I can chain vape by dry priming between vapes & also I do a small vape to test before a long drag...not saying it is fail proof but has helped me.

Hope you get better info from those with the knowledge. Good luck!

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Q2 coils usually last me weeks. I vape them at 55W and take long draws. I see these threads and wonder how my luck has been so great.

VU Sponsors