Become a Patron!

Need help with info on if I need to leave top cap on or off during steeping and how long do I steep

Chillaxman

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello all, this is my first time steeping. I'm not really gonna go too deep on steeping at the moment, just wanted to steep the e juice that I bought online. I have an ultrasonic cleaner, specifically an iSonic P8420, model SPB25. It has a 25 minute max timer and a heater with a preset of 149F/65C. How long do I have the steep the e juice and do I keep pressing reset as I steep or let the Ultrasonic rest for a bit just incase it overheats or something? Do I also use the heater throughout the steeping process? I have a dropper with a dropper cap, do I leave the cap on or off? If I leave it on, is it safe and will it taste chemically?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
There are many philosophies on heat steeping

Main reason to take cap off is to allow for heat expansion

Frankly, I find heat steeping overrated and also have stopped taking caps off at all for steeping

Others may have different opinions/advice :)

Chillaxman

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for your reply :) Ah i see. I'm planning to steep soon so a set up of a glass dropper with the glass dropper cap still on with no heat being used and just turn on for 2 hours would be the set up? I just have a thought, do I need to take breaks during the steeping process after 25 minutes or will there be overheating or is it just fine to keep pressing on?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't mess with any steeping rituals, time is the best way to age a juice and allow the molecules to meld.

In your case you ordered online, unless the juice you ordered is a custom mix at time of order your juice has had time to age from sitting on the vendors shelves and shipping. The only reason for removing a cap is if the flavor base has alcohol, otherwise opening it up allows volatile flavor molecules to fly off and detract from the flavor of the juice.

If I was to buy an ultra-sonic, it would be to clean my mech mods, atomizers, coils, and drip tips.

Chillaxman

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't mess with any steeping rituals, time is the best way to age a juice and allow the molecules to meld.

In your case you ordered online, unless the juice you ordered is a custom mix at time of order your juice has had time to age from sitting on the vendors shelves and shipping. The only reason for removing a cap is if the flavor base has alcohol, otherwise opening it up allows volatile flavor molecules to fly off and detract from the flavor of the juice.

If I was to buy an ultra-sonic, it would be to clean my mech mods, atomizers, coils, and drip tips.

Thank you for your reply and info! Ah I see, luckily I haven't started steeping through the Ultrasonic cleaner just yet. I have 2 r juice actually steeping In a dark closed container for about 4 days now. Since we're talking about steeping through age, how long should I age it minimum to actually taste a difference/big difference from the original e juice? Also, if I open the dark closed container with the e juice still in process accident or just to check the coloring of the e juice, will it really ruin the process or is there an amount of time I'm able to check and put it back to the dark and closed container without ruining the process?

Lotus Insane

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I usually just try to steep my juices for a month, seems like a good solid time frame that will bring out flavors in most juices. No special rituals, just shake heavy when I receive it, let sit for a few days, shake again, let sit, repeat process till about a month goes by.

I do not believe you are ruining the process by checking the juice, as gopher_byrd said, opening up the cap increases the chances for volatile flavor molecules to fly off and detract from the flavor of juice. Simply put, flavor particles that don't bond quickly may dissipate from the juice if opened too often, too early.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I never leave the caps off my e-Liquids when I am aging them. If I have a flavoring with alcohol I might open it for a short period of time after it has infused a bit and sometimes will heat them to speed up getting rid of the alcohol. I do not like to expose the Nicotine to oxygen as it is what promotes the nicotine to degrade.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thank you for your reply and info! Ah I see, luckily I haven't started steeping through the Ultrasonic cleaner just yet. I have 2 r juice actually steeping In a dark closed container for about 4 days now. Since we're talking about steeping through age, how long should I age it minimum to actually taste a difference/big difference from the original e juice? Also, if I open the dark closed container with the e juice still in process accident or just to check the coloring of the e juice, will it really ruin the process or is there an amount of time I'm able to check and put it back to the dark and closed container without ruining the process?
There is no set rule. Some mixes are great shake and vape, others a few days, heavy custards and tobaccos can be weeks or months. Just try some and if it tastes good to you go for it. Everyone's taste buds are different, what tastes good to me, may not to you and vice versa.

Chillaxman

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you everyone for shedding some light about steeping :) I will do the steps you all told me :D

Chillaxman

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I usually just try to steep my juices for a month, seems like a good solid time frame that will bring out flavors in most juices. No special rituals, just shake heavy when I receive it, let sit for a few days, shake again, let sit, repeat process till about a month goes by.

I do not believe you are ruining the process by checking the juice, as gopher_byrd said, opening up the cap increases the chances for volatile flavor molecules to fly off and detract from the flavor of juice. Simply put, flavor particles that don't bond quickly may dissipate from the juice if opened too often, too early.

Thank you for your suggestion and info! With the heavy shaking, for how long do you shake it for and how many times?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Till it shook up... really there are no rules..... you shake ejuice to mix it up.. the ingredients of juice will seperate overtime. So juice needs to be stired and restired.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Chillaxman

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Till it shook up... really there are no rules..... you shake ejuice to mix it up.. the ingredients of juice will seperate overtime. So juice needs to be stired and restired.
Ah I see. I'm planning to just shake it heavily for a minute for every 4-7 days

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ah I see. I'm planning to just shake it heavily for a minute for every 4-7 days
That's what I do.... I might even drip a few sample drops on a coil.

I generally go though a shake all the bottles on my aging shelf a couple times a week.

Chillaxman

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's what I do.... I might even drip a few sample drops on a coil.

I generally go though a shake all the bottles on my aging shelf a couple times a week.

I might actually start sampling my juice after I steeped them. I actually stumbled on this little device for shaking e juice. It claims it shakes 5000 times per minute. I might get one :) What do you think of this? http://www.ecblendflavors.com/e-liquid-shaker-by-ecblend/

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I might actually start sampling my juice after I steeped them. I actually stumbled on this little device for shaking e juice. It claims it shakes 5000 times per minute. I might get one :) What do you think of this? http://www.ecblendflavors.com/e-liquid-shaker-by-ecblend/
Way to fast....... to many bubbles and oxidation..

Only mechanical mixer shaker I would use would be a magnetic stirrer or bottle rocker. I would prefer to mix slow vs fast. The 100 to 200 shakes a minute by hand is too much sometimes.

jambi

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No heat or other speed steep fuckery for me, thanks, so can't advise on that.

I've gotten away from heavily pungent flavors, but I do have a few hard-core alcoholic flavors that I use regularly, mostly SC brand. For them, I sometimes leave the cap off for a couple hours to let them dry out, but mostly I just aerate the bottle during occasional shaking.

How long I steep really depends on the particular mix. Certain tobaccos I like take 2 months, which is too long to wait IMHO. Generally, I let everything sit a minimum of two weeks. Regardless, I vape on my stash oldest to newest (most of the time).

VU Sponsors