Become a Patron!

Need help with new box mod!!!

Hi this is my first box mod and just want to make sure im being safe and doing this right. Been off cigs now for 8 months so I decided it was time to move up from my smok v8 stick. Anyways If anyone could weigh in it would be much appreicated. I just ordered the T-Priv from smok along with the TFV12 Cloud beast king. i got 2x Samsung 25R 18650 2500mAh 20A batteries. I wanted to get the RDTA deck for this also and have been trying to understand ohms law(thanks youtube) but im having some trouble. Based on this what ohms is it safe for me to vape at? if its above .2 then will i have issues using the coil heads that come with the tfv12 since there at .15? I love vaping and want to make this into a hobby so im trying to be safe and just learn as much as I can. Thank you all for your help and VAPE ON!!:):):)

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hi this is my first box mod and just want to make sure im being safe and doing this right. Been off cigs now for 8 months so I decided it was time to move up from my smok v8 stick. Anyways If anyone could weigh in it would be much appreicated. I just ordered the T-Priv from smok along with the TFV12 Cloud beast king. i got 2x Samsung 25R 18650 2500mAh 20A batteries. I wanted to get the RDTA deck for this also and have been trying to understand ohms law(thanks youtube) but im having some trouble. Based on this what ohms is it safe for me to vape at? if its above .2 then will i have issues using the coil heads that come with the tfv12 since there at .15? I love vaping and want to make this into a hobby so im trying to be safe and just learn as much as I can. Thank you all for your help and VAPE ON!!:):):)

The T-Priv is a regulated mod, a completely different beast compared to a Mechanical/Unregulated where with a mech the amp draw formula is the Ohm's Law formula of 'Fresh Charge Voltage (Liion batteries this is 4.2v)/Resistance (Ohm's) = Maximum Amps', a regulated mod, the formula is from Ohm's Law but we term it "Watts Law" 'Watts Set/Lowest Battery Voltage/Mod Control Board Efficiency = Maximum Amps', the T-Priv is also a 'Series Battery Configuration', which gives Voltage X Number of Batteries, Mah and Amps of a Single Battery.

The Variables of the Formula are pretty simple to figure out, Liion Batteries Optimal Operating Voltages are 2.5v absolute lowest before they become damaged internally due to lack of proper voltage, though for safety concerns 2.8 to 3.0v we suggest as absolute lowest to run them down to, fresh charge the maximum is 4.2v. So taking 3.0v as example, being series we get 3.0v X 2 Batteries for your mod = 6.0v lowest voltage before a check battery error or complete mod shutdown (this is a hard limit programmed into the control board). Mod control board efficiency rating, you have to look the specs up on your particular mod, but the averages 75 to 97%, most mods it is safe to assume 90%. So a pair of examples, 100watts Set/6.0v lowest voltage/90%=18.5185amps, 120watts/6.0v/90%=22.2222amps, up the cutoff voltage to 3.2v per battery (or 6.4v lowest) we get, 100watts Set/6.4v/90%=17.3611amps, 120watts set/6.4v/90%=20.8333amps. Roughly if you use LG HB6 1500mah 30amp CDR batteries you'd cap out at about 180watts maximum, the 220watts on a dual battery mod are a hyped sales gimmick, if you are going to be running a TFV12 on the mod your max watts limits will be 20amp batteries 120watts max, 25amp batteries like the Sony VTC5A you'll cap out at about 150watts, 30amp batteries like the LG HB Series batteries you'll max out at 180watts (*Note - There are no 18650 batteries with a Continuous Discharge Rating over 30amp CDR like the HB2, HB4, and HB6 by LG, any battery that says 35 or ever 40amps maximum on their wrapper is the short 1/2 second Pulse Discharge Rating and a lie, always use the battery CDR, and only 4 manufacturers actually make 18650 batteries LG, Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic/Sanyo, most other battery brands are re-wraps, stay with the Big 4 brands). *Link in my signature has a post I break a lot of this down in more depth, suggest you peruse over it at your leisure.

Couple bookmarks to add

The Battery Mooch (Mooch has tested batteries a long time before he began vaping, he has an entire blog dedicated to battery tests and info), found here -> https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/mooch.256958/
Steam Engine, this site has a lot of good vaping calculators and such, if you are going to be building your own coils the coil simulator will be especially handy -> http://www.steam-engine.org/
Liionwholesale's Regulated Mod Amp Calculator -> https://liionwholesale.com/pages/regulated-mod-calculator

Resistance with a regulated mod only applies majorly in these two instances, 1) mod reads the ohms of the coils, if the ohms are within the hard programmed safety limits of the control board, if below the lowest limit, kick atomizer error refuse to fire, otherwise 2) store the reading in memory, check what the watts are set to, calculate and adjust the voltage needed to reach set watts, after that, Ohms play no major impact on a regulated mod. Will the T-Priv safely fire the 0.15ohm TFV12 coil, yes as the safety range on the T-Priv is 0.10 ohms lowest in standard variable wattage mode to about 3.0ohms maximum, if the ohms drop below that 0.10 hard limit it will refuse to fire and kick a short or check atomizer error.

The T-Priv is a regulated mod, a completely different beast compared to a Mechanical/Unregulated where with a mech the amp draw formula is the Ohm's Law formula of 'Fresh Charge Voltage (Liion batteries this is 4.2v)/Resistance (Ohm's) = Maximum Amps', a regulated mod, the formula is from Ohm's Law but we term it "Watts Law" 'Watts Set/Lowest Battery Voltage/Mod Control Board Efficiency = Maximum Amps', the T-Priv is also a 'Series Battery Configuration', which gives Voltage X Number of Batteries, Mah and Amps of a Single Battery.

The Variables of the Formula are pretty simple to figure out, Liion Batteries Optimal Operating Voltages are 2.5v absolute lowest before they become damaged internally due to lack of proper voltage, though for safety concerns 2.8 to 3.0v we suggest as absolute lowest to run them down to, fresh charge the maximum is 4.2v. So taking 3.0v as example, being series we get 3.0v X 2 Batteries for your mod = 6.0v lowest voltage before a check battery error or complete mod shutdown (this is a hard limit programmed into the control board). Mod control board efficiency rating, you have to look the specs up on your particular mod, but the averages 75 to 97%, most mods it is safe to assume 90%. So a pair of examples, 100watts Set/6.0v lowest voltage/90%=18.5185amps, 120watts/6.0v/90%=22.2222amps, up the cutoff voltage to 3.2v per battery (or 6.4v lowest) we get, 100watts Set/6.4v/90%=17.3611amps, 120watts set/6.4v/90%=20.8333amps. Roughly if you use LG HB6 1500mah 30amp CDR batteries you'd cap out at about 180watts maximum, the 220watts on a dual battery mod are a hyped sales gimmick, if you are going to be running a TFV12 on the mod your max watts limits will be 20amp batteries 120watts max, 25amp batteries like the Sony VTC5A you'll cap out at about 150watts, 30amp batteries like the LG HB Series batteries you'll max out at 180watts (*Note - There are no 18650 batteries with a Continuous Discharge Rating over 30amp CDR like the HB2, HB4, and HB6 by LG, any battery that says 35 or ever 40amps maximum on their wrapper is the short 1/2 second Pulse Discharge Rating and a lie, always use the battery CDR, and only 4 manufacturers actually make 18650 batteries LG, Samsung, Sony, and Panasonic/Sanyo, most other battery brands are re-wraps, stay with the Big 4 brands). *Link in my signature has a post I break a lot of this down in more depth, suggest you peruse over it at your leisure.

Couple bookmarks to add

The Battery Mooch (Mooch has tested batteries a long time before he began vaping, he has an entire blog dedicated to battery tests and info), found here -> https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/mooch.256958/
Steam Engine, this site has a lot of good vaping calculators and such, if you are going to be building your own coils the coil simulator will be especially handy -> http://www.steam-engine.org/
Liionwholesale's Regulated Mod Amp Calculator -> https://liionwholesale.com/pages/regulated-mod-calculator

Resistance with a regulated mod only applies majorly in these two instances, 1) mod reads the ohms of the coils, if the ohms are within the hard programmed safety limits of the control board, if below the lowest limit, kick atomizer error refuse to fire, otherwise 2) store the reading in memory, check what the watts are set to, calculate and adjust the voltage needed to reach set watts, after that, Ohms play no major impact on a regulated mod. Will the T-Priv safely fire the 0.15ohm TFV12 coil, yes as the safety range on the T-Priv is 0.10 ohms lowest in standard variable wattage mode to about 3.0ohms maximum, if the ohms drop below that 0.10 hard limit it will refuse to fire and kick a short or check atomizer error.

Thank you so much this was very helpful!

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Some very good advice from @IMFire3605. Being a conservative engineer I use 0.85 % efficiency in the calculations, I used to use 90% but when someone on VU used 85% I found a mod that was indeed around that. Note the efficiency drops at lower power, but if you're vaping at high power that value should do. I also recommend not vaping at the full continuous current rating of the battery and add more safety margin to account for aging and manufacturing quality, for that I like 80% of the maximum rated continuous current. The power formula (electrical engineers don't call it "watts law"), ohms law, etc there are some good standard references here (these aren't specifically for vaping and don't take into account efficiencies of a mod):
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-ohm.htm

bigt_92

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Couple bookmarks to add

Ok so let me see it I have this right as I am also new to vaping. And please correct me if I'm wrong. I usually run my mod at 35w, so assuming the lowest a battery can run safely (I actually prefer to plug in a smaller number for head room) is 3.2, I like using 3, and resistance isn't a variable (using a reg mod) my equation would be 35/3/.85, so 35/3 will be 11.67, and adding on 15% would make that increase to 13.73, which would be the continuous current being drawn from the battery (I have a single cell). If I were to vape at a constant 35w throughout the day starting with a full or near full charge, the ABSOLUTE HIGHEST amount of current I'd draw is that 13.73 (assuming I were to continue to use my device with my battery down to 3v which I'd never do). Am I correct here?

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
@bigt_92
That pretty much nails it correctly on the head

35watts/4.2v fresh charge/85% Mod Efficiency=9.8039amps
where using your lowest of 3.0v
35watts/3.0v lowest voltage/85%=13.7254amps maximum

Higher your voltage, the more headroom you have, as the battery isn't having to be worked as hard, especially as the battery gets lower and lower on charge, if the voltage of the battery is lower than the voltage needed to reach set watts, if that happens then mod kicks in its boosting circuit, which pulls more amps out of the battery, converts those into volts, and adds them to the voltage signal to the coils. Believe using 85% as in your examples would also account for that extra boosting, especially on a single battery mod.

A good bookmark to add to your vaping links
https://liionwholesale.com/pages/regulated-mod-calculator <-This Calculator uses 3.0v per battery in its calculations, just enter your set watts or expected set watts, drop down list select number of batteries, then the mod efficiency (defaults to 90%), then calculate and it does it for you very easily as well.

VU Sponsors