Become a Patron!

Need Opinion on what device I should upgrade to

So I've been using an ecig since 2009. Back then it was the cartridges with the cotton you had to refill for the early cig look alike devices. I upgraded to the bigger Ego style pens and for the last 6 years, this is the style I have been using. I vape for the nicotine and the flavor, but lately I am finding it incredibly difficult if not impossible to find compatible atomizers for my Ego. The one I have now is a VV and the lowest setting is 3.6V. Atomizers that are 2.0 ohms and under tend to burn up quickly and I am unable to find any 2.5ohm coils locally, same with the Ego threaded tanks which appear to be getting phased out locally. So I have decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to something else (my Ego is falling apart anyways).

I've been looking at numerous box mods and this seems to be what is the norm now since the sub-ohm craze has taken full swing. I don't have an issue getting a box mod, but I am not a big vapor cloud guy; I don't see a purpose for blowing huge clouds when all I am after is the nicotine and flavor. What are my options here as far as devices and max wattage to go for when I am wanting to avoid huge clouds, but still get a good vape.
Are all box mods sub-ohm and carry the big vape clouds with them?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Your options are so varied and wide spread I have no idea where to start. The Nautilus Mini or Nautilus 2 tanks are very popular along with a variety of MOD's from multi cell boxes to simple single cell high power stealthy rigs. Here are a couple of exampleses of single battery MOD's.

The Pico Kit

upload_2017-9-25_19-19-14.png

The x-Taste Nano 90W

upload_2017-9-25_19-20-50.png

Thank you for your reply. Can box mod's be limited on vapor production or is that purely in the tank and coil setup? If so, will (for example) vaping a 1.0 ohm coil vs a 0.3ohm coil produce less vapor?

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's pretty much the tank that produces the cloud or lack thereof. The box controls the power, so you can use lower wattage to decrease the clouds further but you might also be decreasing the flavor as well.

As for devices, I highly recommend the Smoant Battlestar. Hard to go wrong with it.

Good to know I can modify the output by the tank. I'm still open to suggestions for mods, but what is your take on a few of these:
Sigelei Kaos spectrum 230W
Eleaf iStick Pico
Wismec Predator
Wismec RX200
Smok Alien Mod
Smok Alien 220W TC

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You need to stick with what they refer to as a MTL tank and not go with a DL tank. For what you want a Higher OHM with a semi restricted air will deliver the type of vape you are searching for. That is why I listed the tanks I listed. Then you also have the Nautilus X which is a higher Ohm coil and a restricted air flow.

Nautilus Mini
upload_2017-9-25_19-38-25.jpeg

Nautilus 2
upload_2017-9-25_19-38-51.jpeg

Nautilus X
upload_2017-9-25_19-39-23.png

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good to know I can modify the output by the tank. I'm still open to suggestions for mods, but what is your take on a few of these:
Eleaf iStick Pico
Wismec Predator
Wismec RX200
Smok Alien Mod
Smok Alien 220W TC

Personally, I would recommend staying away from the Aliens. Although there are people that swear by them (I used to, as well), there are far too many with complains about them and SMOK's shitty customer service for me to ever get another one or recommend them. (Mine caught fire, btw.)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Personally if you don't own one and are going by what some reviewer says that opinion doesn't hold any weight for me.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I agree with @Khassy.....the Battlestar is a great mod. I would also suggest the Pico, any of the Innokin Coolfire mods, Squid double barrel and Asmodus v2. I have an Alien, but I don't use it as much as I use the ones I listed before. I've heard(from people and reviewers) that Wismec has some problems. I do own one Wismec mod(Sinuous) and so far, so good. I would look through the forums and get first hand accounts of what people own and love or have problems with.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah before I owned my RX200S I heard all the BS but 3 years later it is still my everyday beater and I recently had to polish the battery cover because the paint couldn't take all the bounces on cement and pavement.

upload_2017-9-25_20-20-50.png

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't have any of the other ones you mentioned. I have a Wismec Reuleaux 2/3 and it's a great mod. I haven't had any problems with it, although I have seen that some have had problems with the 200. I don't have a Pico but I do have a Pico Squeeze, which is basically the same thing except it's a squonker and I realized today that with the right tank, it's an awesome little device (the one it comes with is pretty crap, though).

The Aegis is a newer one that recently hit the scene and it's a great device, as well. Dustproof, waterproof, shockproof - it's as beatupable as they come. I also highly recommend it.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
For smaller mod; Pico 25 85w, or ipower 80w. If I did mtl I would go with Nautilus 2, or Kanger Toptank. Toptank is more versatile, you wouldn't be restricted to only mtl vaping. You'll need 18650 for Pico, ipower has an internal battery. If you want a more substantial mod I second Smoant Battlestar, dual 18650.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Eleaf iStick Pico
Wismec Predator
Wismec RX200
Smok Alien Mod
Smok Alien 220W TC
The bottom line, essentially is what do you want to spend?

I bounce between clouds and low power/mtl.
Between a single coil at 1 ohm to as low as a o.1.
If you want regulated low power and long battery life I would consider something like that lost vape DNA 60.
https://www.elementvape.com/lost-vape-epetite-dna60-tc-box-mod

Or the hcigar VT,75
http://www.3avape.com/hcigar-vt75d-evolv-dna-75w-box-mod.html

Those can be a bit complicated but offer ever option under the sun.

If you want something more simple and lower power
I would look at something like the eleaf you mentioned.
Then again you're pointing at the higher power the p4u eclipse is a very nice mod
I'm personally more partial to the DNA devices and have a pair of the triades.
https://www.elementvape.com/lost-vape-triade-dna250-tc-box-mod
My fiance is in love with her minikin which is another great choice.
https://www.elementvape.com/asmodus-minikin-2-180w-touch-screen-mod

twan013

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Not to overload you with suggestions, but If you're coming from ego's and want to keep a small form factor and simple operation, I'd personally recommend an all in one kit. I've been dying to try an atopec penguin just to have in my collection. My brother in law and his GF both have innoken t-18's which are a lot like ego's and have a decent tank on them. They don't use them anymore (went back to the stinkies) so I'll grab one of them from time to time.

And then there are pod mods like a juul and von Earl something or other. I'm not sure if they have refillable pods (tanks) and they don't have many prefilled options. But they're the smallest vape setups you can find I believe.

My point is, you don't HAVE to have a box mod if something more basic will satisfy you just as well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aspire zelos if you want a built in battery and comes with the nautilus 2 tank. Would fit your needs well. If you want a mod with external batteries the pico but if your gonna spend a bit more I'd suggest the jac vapor series b DNA75. It requires a little know how the last one though.
If you wanna go for something more basic then get an ego AIO.
Also CE4 clearos are still widely available. My mom still uses an ego and CE4 throws away atomizer an swears by it.
My favourite tank for low wattage vaping is the nautilus mini though.
I use a pico with a nautilus mini on top at ten watts if I don't wanna blow clouds or rebuild! The nautilus mini got me off smokes for 3 years before I stupidly started smoking again!
Take a look at the zelos kit if you don't wanna charge 18650 batteries.
The nautilus 2 is a dream

VU Sponsors