Become a Patron!

need some help

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey there guys

i m/ll be a new builder but would really need some help and gonna explain why...

i used to buy spools of already made wire from coilology and fumytech. Used to use from coilology the 2*28+36 n80 and from fumytech the 2*26+34 SS. I mainly use mech mods/squonkers.

Recently i was hospitalized due to a severe alergy that was found to be due to nickel. Not well yet but been vaping on kanthal and not having issues at all.

In dual coil setup i used to use the coilology n80 coming out to around .2 and in single coil setup the fumytech ss coming out to around .18.

If u read till now u can understand that i need to start using only kanthal and i decided to be me wrapping the coils so i don t run on risks of getting mixed wires on premade coils/wires. Getting kanthal in different sizes is not the problem. And also already in my 2 years almost 3 of vaping i ve already seen a lot of videos about coil making etc i think is a question of trying trial and error and i will be able to do it.

The problem is what builds will be close in heat and "feeling" to the ones i used to use? Can i keep using mechs or i m gonna have to return to regulated mods just know that i started to really enjoy mechs?
Can someone please give me a help?

Really apreciate any help u all can give me and sorry for my english but it s not my native language.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
hey there guys

i m/ll be a new builder but would really need some help and gonna explain why...

i used to buy spools of already made wire from coilology and fumytech. Used to use from coilology the 2*28+36 n80 and from fumytech the 2*26+34 SS. I mainly use mech mods/squonkers.

Recently i was hospitalized due to a severe alergy that was found to be due to nickel. Not well yet but been vaping on kanthal and not having issues at all.

In dual coil setup i used to use the coilology n80 coming out to around .2 and in single coil setup the fumytech ss coming out to around .18.

If u read till now u can understand that i need to start using only kanthal and i decided to be me wrapping the coils so i don t run on risks of getting mixed wires on premade coils/wires. Getting kanthal in different sizes is not the problem. And also already in my 2 years almost 3 of vaping i ve already seen a lot of videos about coil making etc i think is a question of trying trial and error and i will be able to do it.

The problem is what builds will be close in heat and "feeling" to the ones i used to use? Can i keep using mechs or i m gonna have to return to regulated mods just know that i started to really enjoy mechs?

Really apreciate any help u all can give me and sorry for my english but it s not my native language.

You absolutely Can use kanthal on a mechanical mod and get a good vape

First, what are your batteries?

Second, if you liked the vapes of those resistances 0.2 dual and 0.18 single, and your batteries are good ones (name brands like LG, Sony, Samsung) and rated at 20 amps or higher, you can build around there with kanthal, too - but

You may need to learn to make fused claptons with 3 or 4 cores to do that - or it takes some practice, but you can do it!

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thank u for ur fast answer...i only use 18650 samsung 25r (20 amp according to mooch) and efest 21700 3700mah (30amp acording to mooch). In my country getting sony vtc5/vtc5a is impossible or absurdly expensive

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
3x28 kanthal cores for dual coils,

4x26 kanthal cores for single coils to get resistances the same

thank u for ur fast answer...i only use 18650 samsung 25r (20 amp according to mooch) and efest 21700 3700mah (30amp acording to mooch). In my country getting sony vtc5/vtc5a is impossible or absurdly expensive

You are set then, I never used Sony batteries anyway, I am a Samsung fangirl

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
but wont that have an enormous ramp up? the n80 and the ss used to ramp up very fast...i know that kanthal will be slower but was looking for something not to slow

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
but wont that have an enormous ramp up? the n80 and the ss used to ramp up very fast...i know that kanthal will be slower but was looking for something not to slow

I would suggest building lower resistance, like 0.12 dual, 0.15 single - they will not suffer slow ramp up, and use a higher gauge than 34 for the clapton - like 38 would be great

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i m from portugal...it s hard to find things here like different gages of wires etc... mostly i have to order from other countries....there s a shop in england that everyone says that the wire is awsome....
i have some small spools here at home that i order 1 year ago and never used of kanthal... 24ga, 26ga, 28ga and no clue why but 40ga also....
gonna try to build something with this wires.... gonna use a tool to make some calculations also

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
i m from portugal...it s hard to find things here like different gages of wires etc... mostly i have to order from other countries....there s a shop in england that everyone says that the wire is awsome....
i have some small spools here at home that i order 1 year ago and never used of kanthal... 24ga, 26ga, 28ga and no clue why but 40ga also....
gonna try to build something with this wires.... gonna use a tool to make some calculations also

40g is great to clapton with, but a little hard for a beginner I think

I like steam engine.org: http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html?p=roundmulti&r=0.18&str=4&awg=26&id=3

There is a thread here on using it, also, and lots of how- to threads for new builders

http://vapingunderground.com/thread...ld-from-beginner-to-advanced-and-more.413083/

A lot of reading, but if you have questions I will try to answer them here, too

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks a lot for ur help u re an awsome person... It s 4 am in my country was researching the internet and decided to post here. To be honest wasn t really expecting noone to answer me at least so fast. I promise i m gonna read ur links tomorrow. Just going to try and sleep a few hours and then i have the entire weekend to make some experiences and i ll get back here to give feedback or to flood u with the problems i ll find in my experiences. Really really thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey again
claptoning with 40ga is a pain....gonna jave t wait for 34/36 to come in the mail...

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
hey there guys

I use Kanthal. I am a new Builder. I use an avid Lyfe Mech with a dead rabbit RDA. I don't use a drill. So I am Limited two twisted, parallel, and single wire builds. I have been very successful with them. I test them with an ohmmeter from eleaf. And on my two regulated mods before I put the RDA on the Mech. I run dual coils usually parallels 5 wraps of 26 agw kanthal. Ohms out at about .3 something. Safe Mech build good clouds, and excellent flavor. Again I am new to building and Mech Mods. But that is my experience which building. Hope you get well and have a happy vape Life. If anything I can do let me know. May the force be with you

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the problem is that with simple wire even in parallell build i don t get the same "feeling" of a good fused clapton....the simple wire builds ramp up nice but don t seem satisfatory ....not even doing them parallell....already tried even tri paralell

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
the problem is that with simple wire even in parallell build i don t get the same "feeling" of a good fused clapton....the simple wire builds ramp up nice but don t seem satisfatory ....not even doing them parallell....already tried even tri paralell

Definitely - Parallel builds with no clapton simply WILL get dry before they can make as much vapor as a fused clapton

Good luck, dont give up, try different things

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i was thinking of getting when possible one of those deadalus tools...does any of you know if it works nice?

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i have to say....lost my mind and went to buy a deadalus just the coil tool thing....using my own drill....it s awsomeeeeeeeee.....2x28 claptoned with 40 (all kanthal ofc) perfect no overlaps no spaces...just perfect....it s just a shame i don t have a macro camera to take a shot....is it possible to make a macro shot with the camera of a mobile phone?

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have to say....lost my mind and went to buy a deadalus just the coil tool thing....using my own drill....it s awsomeeeeeeeee.....2x28 claptoned with 40 (all kanthal ofc) perfect no overlaps no spaces...just perfect....it s just a shame i don t have a macro camera to take a shot....is it possible to make a macro shot with the camera of a mobile phone?

Take a picture in the sunlight, that’s best for cell phon cameras.
Also to help with ramp up you could try staging. That’s where you run your fused Clapton parallel with a piece of regular wire. Looks like this:
8e251fef0e5f13150708d78e9e5d96ad.jpg

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
thanks for the pic info i ll try it tomorrow.
About staging ...i already tryed it one or two times before this problem with other coils and it was ramping up nice but for temperatures way above what i like to vape

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok back here again....
The pics are not the best but hope you can see....
Ps the ss ones were made with gloves to train due to my allergies

bennytl

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
so after some coil building found that for mechs and in dual coil what works for me in kanthal is 3x28+38 3mm id 5wraps, not perfect but very close (4 wraps is a bit to warm)... now struggling to find the single coil build....any sugestions?

Last edited:

VU Sponsors