Become a Patron!

Never vaped... questions before first purchase.

AngryPirate

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been trying to do some reading, but as other n00b's mention, there is a ton of info to sift through. Anyway, I am a ~1 pack a day smoker (for 20+ years) and looking to drastically cut down and eventually quit. I actually really enjoy smoking cigs, but I'm getting tired of being winded/exhausted all the time, not to mention all the other adverse effects of cigs. I think that vaping will help me with my goals by filling the void of the mental habit of the urge to put a cig to my lips and puff it.

I'm not really looking for anything too crazy price-wise at this point, as I'll need to make sure this is something that I'll enjoy and stick with. So I'd like a simple starter kit that has pretty much everything included (minus the juice) and is pretty simple regarding maintenance. Additionally, I'm a mouth to lung smoker (saw that mentioned a few times), if that makes a difference in equipment choice.

I've been considering the iStick Basic, which, I *think* has everything I'm looking for? But I'm open to other suggestions (if so, please at least give me some info as to why you think another option would be better for my requirements). And if you need any more info, please ask. Thank you.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The iStick basic would actually be a good starter kit. Wish they'd been around when I started, I ended up with an Imperial Ego pen and ce4 clearos. But it made me quit, so no complaints. ;)
Take a look at these too.....http://www.myvaporstore.com/Kangertech-SUBOX-Mini-Starter-Kit-Black-p/krsbk1.htm
You're making a wise choice. Difficult but wise. And you've stumbled onto the best support group you could possibly find in this forum. Welcome to VU!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to VU!

I don't have the Basic, not sure if it's the same as what I do have. I have the iStick 20w and the 30w and have been really happy with those. My fave of the ones I currently have is the eVic VTC Mini. It has a replaceable battery, fires from 1w up to 75w (when you do the upgrade, which is stupid easy), suitable for MTL vapers like you and me, perfectly capable of handling sub-ohm if you ever decide to go that route. It's small, sleek and easy to function. It can be charged with usb that it comes with, or you can also use a preferred battery charger. I can use any and all tanks I have on it. What I like about using my own batteries is that the device won't become a paperweight over time. The iStick Basic will eventually stop holding charge, but it would be a while.

RMarcusY

☮ Ambassador ☮
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just got a iStick basic yesterday, and like that I can put it into my pocket.
I used a Nautilus mini with a iStick 30, then 40 for over a year I enjoy it, but the size made it a little hard to carry around.

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello AP, and welcome to VU. Tons of quality starter kits out there with everything you need to start vaping. I suggest checking out the Ijust start kit or the Innokin Endura T-18 or T-22. All you need is some juice you enjoy (the hard part of beginning vape 101). Try searching youtube for some videos on starter kits, or go down to your local shop and ask the staff to help you get started. Good luck.

AngryPirate

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you for all the replies and warm welcome. I've seen both of those others (VTC mini and Kanger) mentioned quite a bit, but thought those were more for intermediate/advanced users? On the link you posted Teresa, am I understanding correctly that this already comes with the 75w mod that huckleberried mentioned? I'm not opposed to trying intermediate devices, but as mentioned, I just don't want to dump too much money into this only to either not enjoy it or feel overwhelmed from trying to adjust a billion settings. I just want to make sure my initial experience is as positive (and effortless) as possible, so that it encourages me to continue with it.... if that makes sense.
With that being said though, I am familiar with wattage, volts, ohms, etc., as I did own a car stereo and installation business when I was younger... however, I'm not exactly sure how all of that applies to the vaping experience. I'm sure I'll learn as I go along.

Thanks again for the replies so far, and I'll continue researching the products you all mention.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
When I bought my VTC mini, I got the mod only. Mine didn't come with a tank. I paid under $35 for it a couple months back, then there's still a tank to consider, lots to choose from, too. An electronics background will certainly help you, gives you a head start, really.

You have the vape world at your fingertips right now. When I started out, it was mostly crappy ego batteries or mechanical mods. I knew nothing about box mods or much of anything really You have so much to choose from now, it's almost too much, LOL.

Take your time, cruise some threads, ask questions when you need to, jump in on conversations. There are no strangers here, and just about everyone is super friendly and helpful. Ask around for preferred vendors, too. LOTS of those to choose from, as well.

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I smoked for 50 years, wanted to quit. Started with eCigs then went with eGo pen. I now have a iJust2 and a 40 TC. What I think you should start with is a Vision spinner battery (1600 mah vs the EVOD 900) and a Aspire K1 atomizer. I still use this setup for when I am out and about. Good luck.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank you for all the replies and warm welcome. I've seen both of those others (VTC mini and Kanger) mentioned quite a bit, but thought those were more for intermediate/advanced users? On the link you posted Teresa, am I understanding correctly that this already comes with the 75w mod that huckleberried mentioned? I'm not opposed to trying intermediate devices, but as mentioned, I just don't want to dump too much money into this only to either not enjoy it or feel overwhelmed from trying to adjust a billion settings. I just want to make sure my initial experience is as positive (and effortless) as possible, so that it encourages me to continue with it.... if that makes sense.
With that being said though, I am familiar with wattage, volts, ohms, etc., as I did own a car stereo and installation business when I was younger... however, I'm not exactly sure how all of that applies to the vaping experience. I'm sure I'll learn as I go along.

Thanks again for the replies so far, and I'll continue researching the products you all mention.

Intermediate from 6 months ago is almost beginner nowadays at the rate this industry is progressing. You're wise to be looking to start with a device such as an istick. Anything lesser will more than likely crap out on you, which, as it did to me a little over a year ago, will send you right back to smoking out of frustration.

The initial set up that helped me shake smoking permanently was indeed an istick, a 20W, with an Aspire nautilus mini tank. This was not my first actual purchase, but the one that sealed the deal. And yeah, I've upgraded and added a ton of gear since then, but that was the gear that helped me call myself a non smoker.

Good luck! Welcome!

xpmtterrx

Member For 4 Years
I wish you the best of luck. I spent roughly a month at about 10 hours a week researching what mods etc to get for me when vape pens and smaller mods didn't work. Finally settled on the Sigelei 150 TC with herk sense tank and my favorite TFv4 tank. Haven't touched a smoke since, even when I'm drinking I don't even flinch to burn one. Good luck to you and welcome.

AngryPirate

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After searching around and reading a bunch of stuff, I think I've finally narrowed it down to the iStick Basic or Endura T22. From my understanding, they both are good for the MTL vapers, correct? Which do you guys/girls think would be better for me? Thanks.

BTW, I know I could probably do a lot more reading and research, but I figure staying in the sub $40 category is no big loss if I find vaping isn't for me. I'm really just anxious to get started and taste some of these flavors. :)

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think it's a solid choice.

http://www.vapordna.com/Eleaf-iStick-Basic-Full-Kit-p/istiba.htm

This link will get you the basic full kit for 30 bucks from a very reputable site. I've done a decent amount of business with them.

The code Joe10 will get you another 10% off at checkout.

If you poke around that site and find something else you want, and get yourself to 35 bucks, there's a ton of referral codes on the coupon thread that will get you 10.00 off a 35.00 purchase from them.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/vapor-dna-10-off-codes-go-here.66699/

Wishin' you all the best!

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not going to suggest anything other since you have done your homework and want an opinion on those two. Your choice comes down to the one with the bigger battery or the one with the bigger tank. I'd go with the bigger battery. Good luck.

AngryPirate

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hmmm.... OK. I was actually leaning toward the Endura (thanks for the suggustion @ChrisL ), but you make a good point. It's much easier to go with the bigger battery and just carry an extra juice around, than it would be to have to wait to recharge a smaller battery. iStick it is.

Thank you to everyone for the help.

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
After searching around and reading a bunch of stuff, I think I've finally narrowed it down to the iStick Basic or Endura T22. From my understanding, they both are good for the MTL vapers, correct? Which do you guys/girls think would be better for me? Thanks.

BTW, I know I could probably do a lot more reading and research, but I figure staying in the sub $40 category is no big loss if I find vaping isn't for me. I'm really just anxious to get started and taste some of these flavors. :)
Welcome to the Underground. I do have the iStick Basic and I've been vaping for over 2 years. I wish it had been around when I started! For the price, it's a GREAT starter. I use it to carry around to meetings etc. I've had no leaking and the coils last me well over 2-3 weeks. I also get a full day on the battery. Best of luck!!!!!

AngryPirate

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alright. Pulled the trigger and ordered the iStick Basic from VaporDNA + the 3 for $12 ejuice + got the extra free ejuice on checkout for $37 shipped (used the $10 off $35 coupon). So I'm a happy camper. And hopefully this should last at least a couple weeks before I have to worry about replacing any parts. It's pretty much just the GS Air 2 coils/atomizer (?) that I have to replace regularly, correct? Or will I need to buy wicks or other things too?

rolltidevaper

Still here! Just covered up with "life"
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Alright. Pulled the trigger and ordered the iStick Basic from VaporDNA + the 3 for $12 ejuice + got the extra free ejuice on checkout for $37 shipped (used the $10 off $35 coupon). So I'm a happy camper. And hopefully this should last at least a couple weeks before I have to worry about replacing any parts. It's pretty much just the GS Air 2 coils/atomizer (?) that I have to replace regularly, correct? Or will I need to buy wicks or other things too?
You're right. All you have to replace on the basic is the coil. Just fill and vape! Hope you enjoy it!

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just did some research on that and that thing looks awesome. We need a review. I am using 2 eleaf products and I would have no problem buying more.

dantefire

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Sweet!

So, for my next bit of advice... Once you've had some time with it, and decided that you love vaping and are gonna stick with it ;)... Consider getting a second battery. If you love the basic, a second basic is fine. Or even something cheaper, just some I say this because if for some reason things go wrong with the device, you'll want a back up.

Scooter 72

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm gona say if you plan on Vaping awhile best buy I think there is out there. Is the eleaf 100. Its a great all around mod. Because you can play with the big boys or you can Just use it for your everyday vape box. Its priceing is great. You can go somewhere like breazy.com and get it now for like 39.99. If you look around you can find it even cheaper if you look around. But it was my first big buy. And I still use it everyday. I've used it with rdas you name it.But that's just my opinion.

as long as I've got you we will get thru

AngryPirate

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Cool... just coils and juice. Sounds nice and easy. And yeah, I'm sure if it's something I enjoy, I'll end up going the mod route. I like tinkering. :)

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
He said "if", and he likes to tinker. Yeah, Pirate, you might as well strap on the tool belt now!

GtownGeorge

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Juice is your next big decision...... I started with something with a tobacco base and added hazelnut. Never even finished the 30ml as I was tired of the tobacco flavor in a couple of days. Went with a cappuccino and still use that for my morning wake up. Mint choc chip is my goto and I also use some fruity stuff for a break. You will be surprised how easy it is to get away from the tobacco flavor. I had to go to 2 local vape shops B4 I found a place that mixes flavors up to my liking. Good luck!!!!

Scooter 72

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
He said "if", and he likes to tinker. Yeah, Pirate, you might as well strap on the tool belt now!
I know rite. I started out. With. I'm just gona do this to quiet smoking. Its been a long time now. And I spend alot of time playing with making coils and tinkering around with different things and I'm alway looking for new and better ways. I may have quit smoking and I'm proud of that. But im not giving up Vaping for nothing

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You will be surprised how easy it is to get away from the tobacco flavor. I had to go to 2 local vape shops B4 I found a place that mixes flavors up to my liking. Good luck!!!!
That's so true! I didn't put smokes down completely until I stopped trying to find a cig tasting vape. Worlds of difference when I found a flavor I liked. I also had to have one mixed for me.

MASSIVE

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
January 1 I bought an eGo ONE (2.5ml, 2600mAh), some 1-ohm coils and a bottle of Space Jam's "Eclipse" 6mg nic (more or less a sweet-ish tobacco flavor) -- Hoping that over time, I'd sort of wean myself off analogs.

I still have the pack I opened that morning. I had a few more that day, a few the next, one here and there over the next several days, but didn't really "need" any of them.

Granted - Since then, I've acquired an iStick TC40W (which turned out to be a dud, but I assume many of them live on), an eVic VT, a couple Crown tanks, a couple iJust2 tanks, a bunch of coils, about a dozen juices...

I've also lowered my resting heart rate, the "gurgling" on exhale while lying in bed went away, flights of stairs don't bug me nearly as much.

The last time I quit it was actually difficult. This time it wasn't even fair. There's certainly a "learning curve" along with plenty of experimentation, but just the act of vaping along with a little nicotine took care of 90% of it. The wonderful flavors took care of much of the rest -- I rarely feel the need to snack (and have since lost ~5 pounds or so).

The only -- I don't even want to call it a "down side" at this point, but I have a case of "vaper's tongue" along with an unbelievably mild cold. And these wonderful flavors are suddenly very muted. Meh, could be my body's way of telling me to walk it back a bit - which is probably fine. But I'm looking forward to getting my tasted buds back (food is great - drinks are great - it's just the vaping that's really "dulled" at the moment).

Anyway - the 1-ohm on the eGo ONE tank is a great cig-like hit and the sub-ohm stuff (I'm generally running 0.5 standard stuff so I can put any tank on anything I have) is freakishly satisfying if you want a little more fog. Then get a bottle of Element's "Crema" and go to town. After going through 3 bottles in a week, I finally just grabbed one of their "flasks" and a couple unicorn bottles.

Anyway - from one newb to another - best of luck (as if you'll really need it). :cool:

swh822

Member For 4 Years
I picked up the kangertech nebox..well it was a gift from my son for Christmas. .I smoked 2 packs a day and so far I have not had a cigarette since 7am Christmas morning my top 2 juice are cuttwood sugar drizzle and lost art kaptian peanut butter krunch...and I'm on 3mg of nicotine

Scooter 72

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I picked up the kangertech nebox..well it was a gift from my son for Christmas. .I smoked 2 packs a day and so far I have not had a cigarette since 7am Christmas morning my top 2 juice are cuttwood sugar drizzle and lost art kaptian peanut butter krunch...and I'm on 3mg of nicotine
Good for you keep it up. Them are deff good juices. But high. I can save you some money though if you like cuttwood. Slide over to doodlebugs and try there Umilk and doodle reserve. The cost difference alone will make you smile.
Keep up the good work on No more stinkies. Vape on. Have a great day

swh822

Member For 4 Years
Good for you keep it up. Them are deff good juices. But high. I can save you some money though if you like cuttwood. Slide over to doodlebugs and try there Umilk and doodle reserve. The cost difference alone will make you smile.
Keep up the good work on No more stinkies. Vape on. Have a great day

Any cupon codes

Scooter 72

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Any cupon codes
Not that I no of. Well first time buyers get something off. But compared to what you've been paying your gona feel like you don't need it with there prices

swh822

Member For 4 Years
Not that I no of. Well first time buyers get something off. But compared to what you've been paying your gona feel like you don't need it with there prices

Yeah I see the prices I just put 5 different 15ml bottles in my cart and with shipping it's like $33 ..that's some good prices

Scooter 72

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I see the prices I just put 5 different 15ml bottles in my cart and with shipping it's like $33 ..that's some good prices
Yeah try the blueberry crumble its on sale it is great

Scooter 72

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's 1 that I put in my cart...gonna place an order when I get home ..gotta see if the wife wants any too..
Your welcome injoy. They also have a contest running rite now jump in try to win

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's pretty much just the GS Air 2 coils/atomizer (?) that I have to replace regularly, correct? Or will I need to buy wicks or other things too?
Yep just keep getting coil-heads and e-liquid of course.The good thing is coil-heads will last anywhere between 1 week to 1 month.

VU Sponsors