New Coil Jig, What Do You Think?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, seeing as I already saw a wooden version about 3 months ago, I'd say he's not that pissed.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A wooden version is not his device and do you know for certain that , that person is selling tons of em , my guess is he never knew about the version you speak of (if it does exist) at all. Ever think he may of come up with his based on that wooden version ? Lots of possibilities , surprised you didn't mention you saw an identical device .

If he is the one responsible for the design and someone else is getting rich off it i don't know how someone could not be pissed , unless he already is mega rich.

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Or these which, like most, imitate the same awkward clamp-up configuration like the green one.

easy-coil-jig-500x500.JPG maxresdefault.jpg
71I2XpGGdBL._SX425_.jpg

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dont have a need for winders.. I just grab a toothpick, wind, and go... easy, cheap. :D

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't think any of those remind me of your device , yours is different in being made of a cool material with special hand grip and positioning of the metal parts etc...

Until i see the wooden one that looks like yours i'm saying yours is the nicest .

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know you weren't bashing , would like to see it though . Would like to know if WP did indeed copy this or just got the idea from the above pics and came up with his own version .

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Im fairly sure this one is silly :)

F7_D72966_6_ABA_43_F3_9_DB6_9_B078_CE28_AA4.jpg

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And, if you have a mini clamp

kvoe53968fyk.jpg

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know you weren't bashing , would like to see it though . Would like to know if WP did indeed copy this or just got the idea from the above pics and came up with his own version .
I'm sure he came up with his own version using memories of what he had seen and/or tried in the past and improved upon it.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
BAH! Cant locate it ATM... It looked like this, but a clamp screw where the button is, and a coil rod where the 510 is..

Capfdfsdture.JPG

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Trying to locate it again... Never said it wasn't cool or nice, btw. Not bashing, @TheWestPole

You guys seem to think I'm proud or something. :rolleyes: That's a laugh. I simply had been winding a lot of coils lately on precision screw drivers and it was tearing up my fingers. Thought it might be nice to have a coiler, but the typical cheapo coilers did not look comfortable in the grip hand and had clamps sticking up into the path of the winding hand. After an hour in the garage I had the one I posted, tried it, liked it, shared it. Nuff said.

I challenge you (I think it was) @VH fan or anybody else for that matter to go out and "get rich" on any rinky-dink vape accessory. There is margin only in the lowest volume enthusiast market, and at higher volumes, which are still not very high, little to no margin (China) to be had. And, as you all know, there is no defensible barrier between the two.

Even if I came up with something that qualified as an invention in legal terms in this area of manufactured stuff (and I haven't) I would cool my heels pronto on any fantasies about making a killing on it. There just ain't no Frisbees, Hula Hoops or Pet Rocks in these here parts. :)

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't think any of those remind me of your device , yours is different in being made of a cool material with special hand grip and positioning of the metal parts etc...

Until i see the wooden one that looks like yours i'm saying yours is the nicest .

Thanks, friend. :)

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm sure he came up with his own version using memories of what he had seen and/or tried in the past and improved upon it.

The one I made is the first one I have ever tried, so I can only imagine what the others are like to use. One look though and you can see which you might like and which you might not. The cheapo retail winders looked like a "not like" to me.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The one I made is the first one I have ever tried, so I can only imagine what the others are like to use. One look though and you can see which you might like and which you might not. The cheapo retail winders looked like a "not like" to me.
Yep.. I have always wondered how they are suppose to be 'better'..? The handgrip version like yours always seemed like the only 'right' way to do it..

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You guys seem to think I'm proud or something. :rolleyes: That's a laugh. I simply had been winding a lot of coils lately on precision screw drivers and it was tearing up my fingers. Thought it might be nice to have a coiler, but the typical cheapo coilers did not look comfortable in the grip hand and had clamps sticking up into the path of the winding hand. After an hour in the garage I had the one I posted, tried it, liked it, shared it. Nuff said.

I challenge you (I think it was) @VH fan or anybody else for that matter to go out and "get rich" on any rinky-dink vape accessory. There is margin only in the lowest volume enthusiast market, and at higher volumes, which are still not very high, little to no margin (China) to be had. And, as you all know, there is no defensible barrier between the two.

Even if I came up with something that qualified as an invention in legal terms in this area of manufactured stuff--and I haven't--I would cool my heels pronto on any fantasies about making a killing on it. There just ain't no Frisbees, Hula Hoops or Pet Rocks in these here parts. :)

Exactly what i had originally thought and why i posted the below on the proceeding page , Lighty is the one who thinks it marketable and is willing to go in on it with you.

Problem is i don't think the OP thinks it's genius , i think he thinks it's very cool and a great idea as most of us do but if he really thought it was a game changer he definitely would have not revealed it for anyone to steal the idea , just my opinion of course.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No problem at all friend , it's all in good fun. Would like to see what else you come up with or if you improve it even further if thats possible.

TruSound

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The RBA Supplies site says the Sidewinder will wrap coils in all the sizes I've listed, so the question is…will the kit come with multiple caps drilled to match the corrasponding shaft diameters, if it doesn't I don't see how it'll wrap a uniform coil.
5/64”,1/16”,7/64”,3/32”,9/64”,1/8

Troy Brown

Member For 4 Years
That looks cool!!! And since I can't build a decent coil to save my life.....I will need to buy one of these soon!!

Sahsah

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
It's a nice concept and I like how it works, but I wish that it didn't have a dedicated wrapping id. That just kills it for me, like it's that expensive and you can only wrap 2mm coils with it or whatever the other two options are

KeepItSimpleStupid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The first pic was the first set up I used for the Tobeco Coil Jig, and it has since upgraded to the second picture, with a couple different set ups inbetween, but the reason I like it mounted is cause I like to keep MAX tension on the wire while im wrapping, I use a small set of vice grips to hold it while I'm winding so this is was my solution and this jig has also had to be rethreaded a couple times and had another hole drilled and threaded so I may custom making one here soon as this one may not hold up much longer
20141114_203348_36815.jpg 20141228_192716.jpg

havok333

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The first pic was the first set up I used for the Tobeco Coil Jig, and it has since upgraded to the second picture, with a couple different set ups inbetween, but the reason I like it mounted is cause I like to keep MAX tension on the wire while im wrapping, I use a small set of vice grips to hold it while I'm winding so this is was my solution and this jig has also had to be rethreaded a couple times and had another hole drilled and threaded so I may custom making one here soon as this one may not hold up much longer
View attachment 11803 View attachment 11805
Keeping the wire under tension is why I like the Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo. I have one of this exact jigs but keeping the tension can be a challenge.

TruSound

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 11803 View attachment 11805

I wouldn't call that contraption to wrap a simple coil keeping it simple, pretty rediculous actually...c-clamps, vice grips etc etc, LOL.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I wouldn't call that contraption to wrap a simple coil keeping it simple, pretty rediculous actually...c-clamps, vice grips etc etc, LOL.
May not be simple for some, but to wrap coils all thats necessary is to have the jig C Clamped down, the other C shaped piece of medal was for holding a spool of wire while i clapton'd some wire, the jig just so happened to fit on top, before that it just clamped to that table

sohkis

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
kuro's got a great idea/concept, however the price seems to me a bit much since they are sold individually.. now that i have seen the allen screw that holds the post in place, i think they could have just provided all 3 posts in 1 kit.

sidewinder seems to have done it, although i still wouldn't spend that kinda money on a coiler..

the DIY cork version seems to have disappeared from the interwebz, but this one is still up - http://imgur.com/a/SYfjq

i made something similar w/an old clutch alignment tool & some stuff i had laying around the house
DIY_coiler.jpg

L

Lighty269

kuro's got a great idea/concept, however the price seems to me a bit much since they are sold individually.. now that i have seen the allen screw that holds the post in place, i think they could have just provided all 3 posts in 1 kit.

sidewinder seems to have done it, although i still wouldn't spend that kinda money on a coiler..

the DIY cork version seems to have disappeared from the interwebz, but this one is still up - http://imgur.com/a/SYfjq

i made something similar w/an old clutch alignment tool & some stuff i had laying around the house
View attachment 12066

Your right! But take a look at this, so much for paying 60 bucks for all 3, now you can pay $6.82

Check this out http://www.fasttech.com/products/2066300 Kuro Coiler at Fasttech for $6.82 for all 3.

VU Sponsors