Become a Patron!

New E-Juice Killing my Throat

SecretDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys, I'm pretty new here and this is my first post, so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I've been vaping for a little while now and I've been using the Sigelei 150W TC mainly.
I prefer to use an RBA to a tank so I drip all of my liquids on my Freak Show RBA.
Today I got my new E-liquid, the Gentleman's Reserve, and I wanted to give it a try on a .25 ohm coil, I always use the 'Scottish Roll' wick method.
After the first few goes on the new liquid I noticed it was giving my a very harsh, dry feeling at the back of my throat, so I rebuilt a .8 ohm coil, again using the 'Scottish Roll' technique, and still, every time I vape it I get this horrible feeling at the back of my throat.

Anyone else had anything like this before? If not has anyone else used this Gentleman's Reserve E-liquid made by The Steam Co.?

The problem seems to get worse the lower I have the wattage, but it remains on all wattages.
Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place!

SecretDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Sorry, I forgot to add that all of my other E-liquids vape on this coil without giving me the same harsh, dry hits.
(Element - Zen, Key Lime Cookie, Frost and the 'Dark Passenger' liquid)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No I think you are in the correct place.
A few things maybe happening.
1. the scottish roll may be to tight not allowing juice to flow.
2. the flavoring in the juice maybe way to high, not hard on commercial juices.
3. hot spots, rewick and juice up let it sit and fire it without the cap on to see if a glowing spot shows up.

SecretDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3. hot spots, rewick and juice up let it sit and fire it without the cap on to see if a glowing spot shows up.

I know for sure that there are no hot spots, so I won't need to worry about that.
I'm going to re-wick normally now and see if that fixes the issue, if not the flavouring in the juice may be the cause of the issue.

SecretDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

It just occurred to me that if my other juices were vaping fine on the same coil, it has to be a problem with the juice. I've just re-wicked with a small amount of cotton and I am leaving it to soak up for a minute.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Does it have a higher ratio of PG? Certain flavors will do that to me. I like throat hit, but some citrus and strawberry flavors hit me like needles to the throat.

SecretDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So after a couple of re-wicks and no luck, I've decided to build a titanium coil and give adjusting the temperature a go, I'm hoping this will resolve the issue I'm having as the online store doesn't accept E-juice returns!

SecretDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
TitaniumCoil0.25Ohms.png

Apologies for the incredibly bad image, whoever is still here.
This is the most recent coil I tried the E-liquid on and still no luck, I have tried an 80:20 VG:pG liquid on the same coil and it gives me nowhere near as much of a throat hit.

Any more tips on how I can reduce the throat hit?
Am I doing anything wrong?

SecretDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
View attachment 38191

This is the most recent coil I tried the E-liquid on and still no luck, I have tried an 80:20 VG:pG liquid on the same coil and it gives me nowhere near as much of a throat hit.

One thing I have noticed while using this latest coil is that the harshness only comes on the exhale, when I inhale the liquid the taste and throat hit are fine.

chrisjtown33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
View attachment 38191

This is the most recent coil I tried the E-liquid on and still no luck, I have tried an 80:20 VGG liquid on the same coil and it gives me nowhere near as much of a throat hit.

Try getting the spacing on your coil a little closer together. I have mine just barely apart and I get great hits w/o burning.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

chrisjtown33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
53c085c950b3d515ef05232cc21bfa05.jpg

I'm using ni200 if you can't tell.

SecretDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
53c085c950b3d515ef05232cc21bfa05.jpg

I'm using ni200 if you can't tell.

Is that a quad coil?
Also, I think it's to do with the juice.
Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some prebuilt .5 and 1.2 ohm coils for the kanger subtank mini, I'm assumung it'll work in the 1.2 just fine although the flavour will be lacking.

chrisjtown33

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is that a quad coil?
Also, I think it's to do with the juice.
Tomorrow I'm going to pick up some prebuilt .5 and 1.2 ohm coils for the kanger subtank mini, I'm assumung it'll work in the 1.2 just fine although the flavour will be lacking.
No its duel. Nickel takes extra wraps since it has little to no resistance.

SecretDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If this is still going at all, I think the issue might be with the juice I'm using, after building my own 1.3 ohm coil it did not fix the issue.
Thanks for the help guys.

VU Sponsors