Become a Patron!

New here, and to diy eliquid. can someone double check my calculations?

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi, I just ordered my supplies to start making my own ejuice. I've been going broke on buying bottles of it at the store so I'm hoping I can figure this out and save some money. Like most newbies I'm sure, I'm worried about the calculations to make a safe ejuice. I've read a lot about it and I think I have an idea but wanted someone to double check for me. Please no criticism I'm new and at least I'm trying haha. So I want a 30ml bottle of 9mg ejuice. The nicotine base I got says it was 36mg/ml and100%VG. I like heavy VG mixes, So I was thinking, 7.5ml nicotine, 5ml PG, 13ml VG, and 4.5ml Flavoring. Would that work out to a 30ml bottle of 9mg ejuice something like 80%vg 20% pg? Be gentle guys.... Lol thanks!

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I did use one but it didn't take into account the nicotine base mixture. Which is 100% VG. And it just said add 18ml of VG/pg. Not how much of each to make a certain percentage of VG/pg juice. I kinda tried to figure that out on my own. But I'll take a look at that calculator u sent. Might be a more precise one than what I was using. Thanks!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There's a spot to put in the percentage of pg/vg in your base nic!

P-A

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
"7.5ml nicotine" this sounds like a one way trip to the ER !!

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Plz don't use 7.5 Ml off nic try using 1.8 Ml and go from there what are you vaping it on or in.if using dripper you can go down on amount of nic you use. Or if using the new subtanks.

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Plz don't use 7.5 Ml off nic try using 1.8 Ml and go from there what are you vaping it on or in.if using dripper you can go down on amount of nic you use. Or if using the new subtanks.
Im dripping, but before dripping I was using 18mg juice, so I've already gone down. I just want a safe 9mg recipe that would be VG heavy. And the whole 100% VG nic base is also throwing me off

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's the milligram of the nic in your store bought juice? For myself, I do 12? nic, which is 1.2ml per 10ml bottle using 100ml strength. EJuiceMeUp has a spot for every measurement percentage, just pay attention to each one. Click the "Website" tab at the top of the chart and there are step by step instructions on how to use the calculator for any doubts. There are also tutorials on YouTube. I'd rather see someone use those as risk hurting themselves.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That was 12%, not 12?.....

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It should come out something like this:

VU test

Ingredientmlg%
Nicotine juice 36 mg (100% VG)7.59.4625
PG dilutant1.51.565
VG dilutant16.520.8155
flavor4.54.515
Totals3036.33100
Strength: 9mg/ml
PG/VG: 20/80
Flavor total: 4.5 ml (15%)
Remember to rate it at e-liquid-recipes.com!

Last edited:

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank for going through the trouble! I really appreciate that, but the nic base I got was 36 mg/ml

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll just have to get on the computer and check out that program everyone is talking about when I get home.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I tried to show you above the recipe using 36mg/ml for a juice of 9mg/ml - for some reason I'm having trouble with copying the code - give me a few!

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is what I originally had found tho

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-30-09-24-38.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-30-09-24-38.png
    227.2 KB · Views: 13

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I tried to show you above the recipe using 36mg/ml for a juice of 9mg/ml - for some reason I'm having trouble with copying the code - give me a few!
No problem I really appreciate all the help! I know it must be pretty annoying trying to explain this stuff to clueless ppl like me lol

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Iv just checked on my juice calc and for 9 Ml nicotine from 36 Ml nicotine base it is 7.5 Ml just sounds a lot.
OK great!!! Lol so if that 7.5 ml of nic is 100% VG then the 13 ml of VG and 5ml of pg with 4.5 ml of flavor would make a 30ml 80% 20% VG pg juice that was 9 mg?

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank u!!!!! Sooooo much!! Lol I have 2 more quick and easier newbie questions haha. So if I were to make a 15 ml bottle i instead if the 30ml bottle I would just cut all those in half right? Like 3.25ml of nic and 8.25 ml of VG etc. And as long as I have the 7.5 ml of nic in a 30ml bottle I'm free to expirement with different combos of VG/pg and flavor and it'll still be 9mg juice correct? As long as it ends of being 30ml with 7.5ml of it being nicotine.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank u!!!!! Sooooo much!! Lol I have 2 more quick and easier newbie questions haha. So if I were to make a 15 ml bottle i instead if the 30ml bottle I would just cut all those in half right? Like 3.25ml of nic and 8.25 ml of VG etc. And as long as I have the 7.5 ml of nic in a 30ml bottle I'm free to expirement with different combos of VG/pg and flavor and it'll still be 9mg juice correct? As long as it ends of being 30ml with 7.5ml of it being nicotine.

Exactly!

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you use a juice calculator? If you plug in the numbers it'll make your life much easier! There are quite a few, but this is a popular one: http://ejuice.breaktru.com/
THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE OF HOW TO US THE CALCULATOR
aljf4y.jpg

Last edited:

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
This is what I originally had found tho

Like most everyone, I ran your mix thru the Breaktru (e juice Me Up) calculator and was pleasantly surprised to see for a 9mg nic juice, 7.5ml is correct. I like the Calculator you used, when I have more than 7 concentrates in a recipe. Less than 7, which is almost all the time, and I use the Juice Me Up calculator. Simply, because it is more straight forward, less cluttered. AmandaD provided a link for you. Have fun.

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You have 4.5% of flavoring - he wanted closer to 15% flavoring, which explains the discrepancy in the PG!
I was not trying to be accurate in this I was just trying to show how to enter things in the calculator. In the first post
kevinpackers44 mentioned 4.5% flavoring so I just used that as an example to show the placement.

I don't think that anyone should just guess at what to mix, they should use a calculator and get it right. Learning to use a calculator is paramount here.

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was not trying to be accurate in this I was just trying to show how to enter things in the calculator. In the first post
kevinpackers44 mentioned 4.5% flavoring so I just used that as an example to show the placement.

I don't think that anyone should just guess at what to mix, they should use a calculator and get it right. Learning to use a calculator is paramount here.
UPDATE MY POST TO REFLECT THIS.

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I was wanting to use 4.5ml of flavor not 4.5%.

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was wanting to use 4.5ml of flavor not 4.5%.
Sorry my mistake!! But I think you get the picture.
You may want to use 4.5ml of flavor but you have to enter in % of flavor in the calculator, you can't enter ml's. The calculator will change the % to ml's for you, so your total ml's will be 30ml as you stated in your first post.

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most people go by % that they want to mix in not by ml's. But here is the same example hitting your target of 4.5ml's . That is the hard way of doing things but it can be done. You would have to play with the % to get the mil's.
Does this help you any better or am I just confusing you ??

2wozz8x.jpg

Last edited:

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I think I get it I'm not too picky so if I can find a recipe that will give me the VG heavy 9mg then I won't stray from it. And with the help from all u guys I think I've found one. So thank u again everyone!

Bobx

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think I get it I'm not too picky so if I can find a recipe that will give me the VG heavy 9mg then I won't stray from it. And with the help from all u guys I think I've found one. So thank u again everyone!
I don't think you are really understanding. You don't have to look for a recipe that is VG heavy 9mg. that will be hard to find. The VG heavy 9mg is what you want to make your mix's at. Those are your own personal settings. You would enter those settings into the calculator the same way always. In the first pic I posted in Post #28 you would fill out #1 #2 #3 & #5. These are the ones you want to achieve. These are your base settings always. #4 is the flavor or flavors you want to add. When you spot a recipe that you think you will like to try, 9 times out of 10 it will be like this only:
EXAMPLE ONLY:
Butterscotch 10%
Vanilla Bourbon 5%
Maxx Blend .5%
You would take these 3 flavors (example only) and their percents and add them in the #4 slot. These are what will make you base different and come up with your flavor your trying to get.
Just remember that #1 #2 #3 and #5 are your personal settings and must always be used.
#4 is someone else's idea of a certain type of flavor. They may have made this at a high PG and High nic level, but that means nothing to you. Your just interested in the flavoring percentages.

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That makes sense. And I can see what ur saying in ur pics, but I think I'll understand better when I play with the calculator, I don't have a computer now I'll have to wait till I get home. Thank u! They need to turn that calucator into an app!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That makes sense. And I can see what ur saying in ur pics, but I think I'll understand better when I play with the calculator, I don't have a computer now I'll have to wait till I get home. Thank u! They need to turn that calucator into an app!

There are various apps - do a search and see what you find!

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lol OK will do! I am starting to feel more and more stupid Lol. Thank you everyone for ur patience with me haha

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are on the right track. Welcome to DYI and saving yourself some money.

The tendency is to over think it but I like to keep it simple. It looks to me like you have it figured out for the most part.

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Found an app and I am understanding batter. But is there a flavor percentage that is most common? It was present on 10% I will only be using one flavor for now.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Found an app and I am understanding batter. But is there a flavor percentage that is most common? It was present on 10% I will only be using one flavor for now.

For single flavors it varies widely by manufacturer and then by flavor. If, say, you were using a Flavor Art flavor, you might start at 2% but for a TFA flavor you might start between 5-10% depending on the flavor. Best thing is to find a recipe you want to make and then get the flavors for that recipe.

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do yourself a favour and get some gloves for when your mixing you don't want to be getting nicotine on your skin and you say you drip do you have an understanding of ohms law.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do yourself a favour and get some gloves for when your mixing you don't want to be getting nicotine on your skin and you say you drip do you have an understanding of ohms law.

36mg nic isn't going to hurt anybody.

kevinpackers44

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ya building I'm pretty seasoned on, just this ejuice stuff makes me feel like I did when I started vaping Lol. And I ordered a banana cream and a pins colada from ejuice4u.com Ill grab some gloves anyways tho. I like to be overly cautious haha

VU Sponsors