Become a Patron!

New Smok TFV4 Coils

firemandan26

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello fellow vapors!

So I just wanted to do a quick write up on the a couple new Smok TFV4 coils I purchased to see how they perform. Of course I have the triple coil and quad coil that came with the tank. My personal favorite is the triple coil. Seems to have better taste, and produces awesome clouds. So i ordered a 5 pack of the triple coils. Something weird happened here. For some reason, BOTH coils that came with my tank had an extremely tight draw. I didn't think anything of it at first, but I popped a new triple coil in and it was crazy airflow. Anyone else feel like they're getting a very tight draw from the coils that came with the kit?

Anyway, while shopping around for the coils, I came across the sextuplet coils, and duel nickel coils. So i bought one of each to see how they performed. I'm not a huge fan of temp control and it gave me troubles. Im using the Smok X-Cude 2 and the coil just couldn't keep up. It produced no huge taste difference and it just seemed like it didn't want to heat up. Not going to buy any nickel coils anymore.

I put the sextuplet coil in, primed it really good, and waited probably 10 minutes to vape it. I believe I was at around 65-75 watts. The first draw I took was absolutely disgusting! It literally tasted like burnt rubber. After about half a tank the taste started to leave but there was still a lingering and disgusting burnt rubber taste. I hope it was a faulty coil, because this coil looks promising. Its the triple coil with a duel build in each "chamber". I am going to buy another from a different vendor and see of I get the same results.

So thats pretty much my experience with the TFV4 coils. I love the triple coils for now. Hopefully, if your looking to buy some different coils you have a better experience and please comment if you have any of the newer coils and let me know if your getting the same results as i did. I love this tank, i would definitely buy another if I had to. I hope this might help someone out in researching the TFV4 tank and coils. I'll post some pictures in a little while. Just got a new computer and moving all the files around.

Let me know what you guys think! Would you like me to get some of the other coils and share some thoughts here again?

-Dan

yasaboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just pre ordered the black version (full kit) today so any input is awesome man thanks

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the information on the new coils you tried. I'm thoroughly enjoying this tank and I currently prefer the quad coil but I just received the dual ni200 coils and will be trying them soon. Based on your description of the included coils, I may have to get some triple coils to try again. I'm anxious to hear your report on the second try on the sextuple coils, especially on the difference, if any, from the triple. I agree, this is an awesome tank!

firemandan26

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll be ordering some more sextuplet coils on Friday. Im going to buy them from a different seller as well just to be absolutely sure. Let me know what you think of the i200 coils. Like I said, mine just have me nothing but problems.

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I put in the dual ni200 coil this morning and the initial taste was like your experience with the sextuple coil...it is a HORRIBLE burnt rubber taste! I stuck with it and after about a third of a tank it went away. I'm on my second tank now and it is doing great! I'm running it on my sig 150tc at 60j and 520F!

So far I've enjoyed all three coils but my current order of preference is 1) quad 2) dual ni200 and 3) triple. However, I will try a pack of triples and, depending on your feedback, I may try the sextuple as well.

firemandan26

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's good news that the taste went away. After about 2 tanks of mine, I couldn't take it anymore. Ill throw it back in to see if I can get that nasty taste to go away. With my ni200 coil there was hardly no vapor produced. I really don't care for temp control to much anyway. So I'll through that sextuplet back in and see if I can get rid of that taste. Thanks!

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well that was bad news, good news then bad news. The second day I went through the same crap with the ni200 coil, horrible taste then went away again but never got very good. Today is the third day and it was horrible from the start and never got better!!! I may try another one down the road but I'm going to throw a quad back in an try to get rid of that bad taste in my mouth. I do have some triples on order and I hope to replicate your experience with those coils. Thanks!

firemandan26

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well that was bad news, good news then bad news. The second day I went through the same crap with the ni200 coil, horrible taste then went away again but never got very good. Today is the third day and it was horrible from the start and never got better!!! I may try another one down the road but I'm going to throw a quad back in an try to get rid of that bad taste in my mouth. I do have some triples on order and I hope to replicate your experience with those coils. Thanks!
Sorry to hear about that! I hope that's not gonna be a trend! I've got some good news though. My sextuplets coil is rockin. Taste and vapor production is on point. I'm vaping it with the Smok X Cube 2 at 76-82 watts. That nasty burnt rubber taste went away after about a good tanks worth of vaping. I'd suggest starting at the lowest wattage and saturating the shit out of the coil. Don't be shy about it. Soak these coils before you vape. That's what I did to the sextuet coil the second go round and I think that helped it a lot! So let me know if you notice a difference in airflow with your new triple coils. The ones I bought were 100 times better than the ones that came with the tank, at least for me so I'm really curious to see if it was mine, some, or all the coils that came with the kit. Thanks for the post!

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't notice a difference with airflow but did get the rubber taste that went away after a tank of juice as well. this is with the quad but niether of the factory coils had this flavor and now the ones you buy have that burnt rubber flavor to start .

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@firemandan26 how goes it with your TFV4 coil experimenting? I got some new triple coils and the air flow is better than the one that came with the tank but it still is only good on flavor. I'm experiencing the burnt rubber taste on all of the coils and it takes a tank or so to go away. I wish I could find a way to skip over that part and I do soak the crap out of the new coils then let them sit for 30 minutes before vaping. My opinion of this tank is fading rapidly. :( Any feedback would be appreciated.

firemandan26

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey @woodyt74 I've been kinda debating on buying the newer coils or just sticking to the tri and quad coils. An update I forgot to post was I did buy some more quad coils and had a much more pleasant experience! Just like the tri coils so I'll be sticking with them. I haven't had that burnt rubber taste since though, sorry to hear your having a bad time. However! I did purchase a Uwell Crown and holy cow....it kicks the TFV4's ass...at least in my opinion. Comparable vapor, but flavor is just unreal! My ADV that most might be familiar with would be Unicorn Milk by Cuttwood. Another version of a "milkman". I tried them next to each other and I got sooooo much more flavor from the crown. I didn't think there could be much of a difference but there is. The only other place I can get this flavor is from my Kennedy. So I'd put the crown up to against the best flavor Dripper anyday. Incredible! If you have the means, pick one up instead of new coils for the TFV4!

I'm using it on my IPV3 Li @ 65.5w. Using the .25ohm dual coil. I just ordered more to see if I still get the same experience as I did out of the box so once I put the other coils to use as well as the ones I ordered I will post it up here for you. Glad to help out! And thanks for the reminder @woodyt74 . When I get some time with this tank, about 2 weeks or so, I'll put a review up just like I did here.

I've got a couple other things I was thinking of posting as well. Some RDA's, the crown, wires, cotton, ect... If you like how I explain or review things let me know and I'll keep at it! Also, any pieces of vaping equipment you would like to hear me review, let me know and I'll do my best to accommodate!

woodyt74

Obsessive? Who me?
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey @firemandan26 thanks for the response. I've had the Crown tank longer than the TFV4 and love it with all three coils although they do require some break in. The flavor and clouds are terrific, especially the .25 with the TC coil very close. I get 3+ weeks on those coils before the flavor starts to drop off. I use it primarily on my Sig 150W TC @ 60 - 80W depending on the juice and 480 - 520 degrees in TC again depending on the juice. I still like the quad coil in the TFV4 but it is an occasional tank now with the Crown as my primary. I look forward to your review of the Crown and any others as well, let me know when. :)

PremiumVapeSupply

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
What's your go to build and wicking for the r2 deck?

I'd definitely go with a standard build around .2 to make sure your cotton gets wicked well, as well as maintains vapor and flavor production.

so i've had me tfv4 for about a week now and i have very mixed feelings. to start of with the tank was awesome... vape about 10 tanks worth on the preinstalled tri coil and it was awesome. mind you this was about to days worth and i was being frugal after seeing the first tank vanish before i made it to the beltway. then i started getting a terrible burnt taste on day 3 at 90w. then i went down to 80w and it was fine as long as i kept my tokes under 6s or so. then that started tasting burnt. theen i went down to 70w and i can take about 7s pull before the burnt taste comes. so i switched to the quad coil and pretty much the same exact pattern happened. im put the quad in 3 days ago and now its just terrible...even at 70w a 4-5s draw is all i can get even with both air flow wide open...the vape aint near being to hot but it just tastes burnt. to top it of i even primed the quad AND let it soak for an hr while taking about 3 dry pulls every 5 min. yet day 3 and its just done. i mean its a 140w coil for gods sake. i ran it at 90w. it shouldnt be burnt on day 3. 2 coils in 6 days is rediculous. meanwhile my HERAKLES with .2 kanthol has no problem running at 80-90w for a week. im REALLY hoping i just got some shit coils with the package ( which is bullshit considering it was $50.00) and that this new pack i just grabbed will have more than 2 decent coils in it... for the amount of dough these fucking things cost i expect to get 5 PERFECT coils. but the guy at the vape store told me he bought a pack and 3 were shot...

side note: im rockin the TFV4 BLACK ON THE SNOWWOLF 200W LIMITED EDITION

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love the RBA's for the TFV4 but the stock coilheads suck, the only one that didnt have wicking issues was the Q4 for me. After letting them sit in a small container of liquid for 15 minutes the T3 still gave a dry hit the second and third draw, the Q4 never had a hiccup and would be the only prebuilt head I'd buy for it...

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I love the RBA's for the TFV4 but the stock coilheads suck, the only one that didnt have wicking issues was the Q4 for me. After letting them sit in a small container of liquid for 15 minutes the T3 still gave a dry hit the second and third draw, the Q4 never had a hiccup and would be the only prebuilt head I'd buy for it...
Have you tried the clapton coil? I only vaped one tank through it, but it was solid. It's honestly the only prebuilt I'd recommend. The quad was a bit too much air for me, it's solid, huge cloud, but the density wasn't there. The flavor was simply due to the amount of juice consumption but overall I wasn't all that happy. It's good enough that I bought some cheap heads just to have in a pinch (if I screw up a RBA deck) but the clapton is solid as far as I can tell so far.

I haven't tried the sextuple, the TC options or the higher ohm options yet though, so still 6 coils left to try. So far all the RBAs are solid for me, though the clapton RBA is a bit more fickle on wicking, which is saying something as they're all a bit that way. You really gotta learn how to handle them. (single/dual I have down, and single vertical is my go to).

yasaboss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Will say I had good luck with my triple coils never had a dry at 80+ vg and I chain vape, 70 85watts was a good sweet spot last about 2 weeks for me. Since I aquired the dual rba never bought or used a prebuilt coil since

Last edited:

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Have you tried the clapton coil? I only vaped one tank through it, but it was solid. It's honestly the only prebuilt I'd recommend. The quad was a bit too much air for me, it's solid, huge cloud, but the density wasn't there. The flavor was simply due to the amount of juice consumption but overall I wasn't all that happy. It's good enough that I bought some cheap heads just to have in a pinch (if I screw up a RBA deck) but the clapton is solid as far as I can tell so far.

I haven't tried the sextuple, the TC options or the higher ohm options yet though, so still 6 coils left to try. So far all the RBAs are solid for me, though the clapton RBA is a bit more fickle on wicking, which is saying something as they're all a bit that way. You really gotta learn how to handle them. (single/dual I have down, and single vertical is my go to).
I havent tried the new gimmick coils as I havent heard much good from them...the Q4 and RBA's are the way to go so far for me.

firemandan26

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Clapton coils are my favorite now. I know I haven't posted in a while but I put some coils to the test and in my opinion the Clapton blows them all out of the water. One huge thing I forgot to mention is the damn drip tip, I hate it! Cannot stand it, and what sucks is most other tips look dumb as hell on that big ass tank. Kind of over it, just placed my order for a herakles plus. I have high hopes!

skt239

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was looking at TV mini the other day and considered the full size for a while but the price of coils makes me very hesitant. Considering all these issues I'm reading, I'll probably continue to pass. I did order a Herakles Plus that will be here today, hoping that one lives up to the insane amount of hype.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Because of the high cost of premade coils I really feel that the TFv4 should be considered more of an RTA than a pure tank. If you're not building your own coils it's probably not worth it, unless money is no concern at all. But, the RBA decks are great.

crazysgt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just my $0.02 worth, none of the issues described here on my TFV4 mini. Trips, quads, sexs, claptons, RBA, none give any burnt taste. It sits on top of a X Cube II @ 70 watts. Guess I got lucky.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just my $0.02 worth, none of the issues described here on my TFV4 mini. Trips, quads, sexs, claptons, RBA, none give any burnt taste. It sits on top of a X Cube II @ 70 watts. Guess I got lucky.
The mini fixes the issues of the fullsize...thats the one people are having issues with with leaking and more...

djj624

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The sixtuplet coil is amazing. Smooth as can be. If you haven't tried it yet definitely give it a shot, you won't be disappointed. That's all I buy now!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
CLP2 Clapton was amazing for flavor, right from the first draw. Not as much cloud as the quad, but much better flavor imho. Just received the one Clapton quad that I ordered but not yet tried. Others in waiting are the TF-R2 and TF-RCA decks, plus the Coral 0.2 ohm coils. I got a 5 pack of Corals from Max Vaping for $9.95, though I see they are sold out at present. ZPal is selling them for $25, a bit spendy.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I need to find more coils for my Micro TFV4...havent seen any place with them yet and Ive used the 2 coils up already that came with it...I find the SS coilhead was much better then the Fused Clapton head, both taste and vapor were much better..

VU Sponsors