Become a Patron!

New TFV4 Vertical coil RBA

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
So. After quashing my treacherous assistant's attempt to join the Boilermakers Union, things in the lab are back to normal. For some time Igor has been whining about how with all of the options the TFV4 offers for coils and RBAs, there did not exist a vertical coil RBA. There was the brilliant dual coil RBA, and it's special needs little brother, the anemic and sickly single coil RBA.

Well, I'm pleased to announce, Its alive!!!!!

The transformation is complete. Dr.s Drill, and Dremel have worked their sinister magic, and here it is! The Frankencoil!

0.23 ohm, 4mm 22 gauge 304 stainless coil, on a slightly modified single RBA deck. Same airflow as the stock quad coil, but this monster can be chainvaped at 160 watts Max VG. Feast your eyes on little "Frankie"!

vc0928-22125101-jpg.30573

Attachments

• CM151010-21103301.jpg
    CM151010-21103301.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 370
  • CM151010-21134503.jpg
    CM151010-21134503.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 383
  • VC0928-22125101.jpg
    VC0928-22125101.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 630
Last edited:

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So. After quashing my treacherous assistant's attempt to join the Boilermakers Union, things in the lab are back to normal. For some time Igor has been whining about how with all of the options the TFV4 offers for coils and RBAs, there did not exist a vertical coil RBA. There was the brilliant dual coil RBA, and it's special needs little brother, the anemic and sickly single coil RBA.

The transformation is complete. Dr.s Drill, and Dremel have worked their sinister magic, and here it is! The Frankencoil!

0.23 ohm, 4mm 22 gauge 304 stainless coil, on a slightly modified single RBA deck. Same airflow as the stock quad coil, but this monster can be chainvaped at 160 watts Max VG. Feast your eyes on little "Frankie"!
Very nice!

Origin Vape

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That's one bad ass coil, I must say. Wow! I've tried all the TFV4 coils and none of them can take 160w, but this one certainly looks like it can. I applaud you.

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been inspired for the first time, to suddenly consider vertical coils after all.. Very, very nice!!! You should be proud!

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have been inspired for the first time, to suddenly consider vertical coils

I had the idea for it because I had re-buit Atlantis coils with varying degrees of sucess, and after trying the TFV4 quad coil, I began to try and see how it came apart. That coil just wouldn't die, and I can't bring myself to destroy such a beautiful coil. Then, having seen pics of the single RBA, I figured that a vertical RBA was possible. I went to the B&M I frequent, Vape Horizon here in Edmonton, and asked to see the single RBA, and explained what I was planning to do. They are great guys there, and they donated one to the cause. Possibly, they just wanted the local ranting mad monk out of their shop but in any event, they have always been very good to me, and anybody I've ssent there. The very next day, I watched a review of the Landmark RTA by the Vaping Bogan, a hilarious guy who has forgotton more about vaping hardware than I'll likely ever know.

The Landmark has a rebuildable vertical coil. I used his review to wick Frankie. Thae actual mod on the single RBA was very simple. All I did to the deck, was fill the massive juice channels with silicone, to prevent flooding the airhole. Thats it. Fully reversible. I used a Dremel to cut the slots in the RBA shroud. Other than the waiting for the silicone to dry, the whole process took under 15 min. to fill the holes, and cut the slots. The pics don't show the vertical slots in the RBA shroud, I couldn't decide whether to use vertical juice intake slots like Smok used on the tricoil,or horizontal ones like on the quad coil, so I decided on 2 of each. The coil was also easy to build, I used a 4mm screwdriver stuck into the airhole to wind it. The only tricky part, is how close the coil comes to the chimney,

The airflow is the same or perhaps even a little more than the quadcoil. I actually have to close the aircontrol on the tank to about 80%. The flavor is maybe even a little better than the quad, I think because there is a lot more wick soaking up the juice surrounding the coil, and also because the coil is so close to the chimney. I also attribute its ability ro run max VG at 160 watts flawlessly to the massive amount of wick. So far, it seems that the sweet spot is about 110 watts. The vape gets very warm at about 120 watts. My mod only goes to 160, but I wouldn't be suprised if you couls push another 20 watts into the coil. An intersting observation I made is that the base of the tank which gets quite warm around 70-80 watts with the dual RBA, remains quite cool even at max watts with the vertical coil. I suspect this is because the coil is well above the base, and surrounded by juice to cool it..

Juice guzzleage is at LEAST on par with the quadcoil, maybe more. Anybody who has used the quad will agree that it gobbles up the juice at a rate one has to see to believe. The quadcoil I'm sure is making many juice vendors weep because unless you have no problem paying as much for your juice per week as you do for fuel in your car, DIY is the only economicaly feasible way to sate the beasts ceaseless thirst.

I definatly would recommend trying this experiment yourself. I personally find the airflow on the dual RBA, more than enough, but if you want or need more, for the price of one or two factory quad coils, you too can have a vertical RBA for the TFV4.

The TFV4 I think, has become more than just a tank, its a platform. Hopefully, Smok will come out with a factory vertical RBA. But if they don't, and you want one, its very easy, and was a lot of fun.

Last edited:

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have about 50 different pre-made coils I have either never used, and/or some I used just a an hour or so, some Nickel for TC or several other non TC coils that I just threw into a sealed package, figuring since I rebuild 5 of my 7-8 /mod/atty combos going at all times...but this has inspired me to actually pull a couple apart perhaps, and see what its like to build them with such a coil as yours.

Have heard great things about the TFV4 but I went Uwell Crown at that time instead so I just never got around to buying the TFV4. I might consider picking one up but i already have so many attys and still have 3 new ones coming to me within 10 days.....BUT, it might be worthwhile picking this one up after seeing your pics....it really is a great one! :)

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, even with only dual coils, so far, im going DIY within a week or two. As soon as i get it together to figure out an actual order i want....good point though with a quad coil.....i have noticed though lately, there seem to be quite a few "new" web pages for juice companies selling much lower than ever before. I have always purchased about 4 of my fav juice from Jugheads, in Alberta on bulk order( only way to buy from him) and dont mind paying $59 for 250mls or $99 for 500mls.....and even saw a spot yesterday charging just $48 for 250mls.......so not sure whats going on but glad to see it....no one could possibly afford juice at $1 per ml

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That is bloody amazing. I also find chain vaping at 160W amazing too, is it a nice vape, or is it too hot at 160W?

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Its fairly warm, but not too hot. Gonna get it onto a bigger mod, and raise the power until it IS too hot, or the cotton incinerates. lol.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Update:
Smok has come out with an update for the X Cube 2 that raises the power to 180. I'm still vaping the hell out of the Frankencoil, and it is showing no sign of failure yet. We'll see shortly if it can take 180. BTW, Temp Control works really well on this coil.

Furrther update: Chainvaping max VG @ 180 watts now. No problem. Need to find a more powerfull mod.

Furrther update: Chainvaping max VG @ 200 watts. VERY warm vape, no dry hits.

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Was wondering if you could please post pics of how to wick it thanks

Believe it or not, I'm still vaping it, when I tear it down, I'll take some pics. Here is what I used as a guide:

Skip to 18:38

I'll be honest, the wicking was not too pretty,

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
How many slots did u drill??

2 horizontal, 2 vertical,

wicked it pretty much like the Bogan did in the above video.

0.23 ohm, 4mm 22 gauge 304 stainless coil, is whats in it now, I'm going to put a 26 gauge build in it next.

She Vapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
u wrapped it around a 4mm bit? Interesting. I have never gone higher than 3mm. May I inquire as to why 4mm, specifically? Thanks to you, as you know, I too am now converted to SS but still new so not yet sure how to work out how many wraps, in order to get what ohms, specifically, etc. In my case I dont have this atty but was just trying to get a feel for a good "spot" ohm wise, on SS. I am a 50/50 PG/VG lower wattage vaper but still interested in what u r doing

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Wicking is like making paper mache. I wet the cotton with VG, and wrap it clockwise ( because that is the direction the cover screws on), trim it at the top of the coil, and make the wick wide enough that you actually screw the threads of the cover down the cotton, until the cover threads meet the RBA base threads. It will need to soak up a LOT of juice. Start it off at about 50 watts, and as it starts wicking, slowly bring the power up to where you want it.

Attachments

• CM151023-00021901.jpg
    CM151023-00021901.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 169
  • CM151023-00033503.jpg
    CM151023-00033503.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 169
  • CM151023-00052004.jpg
    CM151023-00052004.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 166
  • CM151023-00073006.jpg
    CM151023-00073006.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As a newbie, I'm very interested in this, but wondering where you get the Silicone to plug those holes? I don't want to use something unsafe and I'm afraid with my luck I'll grab something that's totally not meant to be used in that way. I've rebuilt my Atlantis coils, not quite as well as I'd hoped but had enough success that they were useable, so the vertical thing interests me. The fact that you can crank it up has me very intrigued. So I'd be interested in replicating this now that I've picked this up as a full time hobby (the whole electrical thing is interesting as a computer geek, I've just been preoccupied over the last year and a half of vaping to really get too intense, rather throw the money than spend the time, but now I have time)

I am wondering if you could just fill it with cotton for extra wicking (I mean is too much a bad thing? yes I'm a noob) or should I just shut them off?

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am wondering if you could just fill it with cotton for extra wicking (I mean is too much a bad thing? yes I'm a noob) or should I just shut them off?

I'm using clear silicone sealant from a tube to block the juice channels.Silicone is used elsewhere in the TFV4 in many places for O rings. I decided to block them, as they are below the airhole, and the juice could drain straight down into it. You could try blocking them with cotton, if it did not work, then block them with silicone.

I don't normally vape at high watts, before this, I had never used more than 100. My next build on this, I think I'm going to use a smaller diameter coil, perhaps 3.5mm instead of 4. I don't know if it would be able to sustain 200 watts without burning cotton with the smaller diameter coil. I normally run the airflow control wide open on the TFV4, but on the Quadcoil and the vertial RBA, I close the airflow by nearly 50%, because there is just so much.

I made a Clapton coil without covering the holes or making any modifications to the cap. I was able to do 90 watts without a dry hit. 70 watts was nice... Was on a 3.5 rod. .95 ohm. I also leave all air holes open but put the base to half way because of all the added airflow. Ive since then went back to the horizontal coil I just seem to get better flavor.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    868.7 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    811.1 KB · Views: 102

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So from the get go on this forum I saw this and had the desire to replicate it. But, my order for wire has taken quite a while (yay fasttech). So I wanted to try some alternatives. I drilled out the post holes in the deck and got a 3 wire twist build of 24g Kanthal in there. Enough room for a 4 wire twist which I may try tomorrow. Anyways, it's EXCELLENT. Honestly beats the premade coils IMO. Sitting at 105w right now with .3 coil and it's a perfect temperature, warm but not burning. Cloud volume isn't up there with the premades but honestly who cares, the performance with taste and experience is far better.

Still contemplating adding more juice channels but so far it's not needed. It's a thing of beauty as it is. Beats out my dual coil 26g twist build which is impressive as that was as solid as I could ever expect. Certainly more dense than the premade coils, which is more to my liking. Nice and warm in my throat and just... ahh

Anyways, thanks for the inspiration. Think I have a new favorite build. Only cost $5 in drill bits (I was impatient) to drill the holes out, and I think it's money very well spent. I wish they would do that to start with.

I'll try and take pictures next time I rewick, but 3X wire twisted 24g Kanthal 5 wraps around 4mm reading .3 ohms, Chain vaping at 105w, but I haven't tried higher, might be able to do it but honestly more than happy where it's at.

To add for wicking, I just took a sheet cut it to the normal ~7mm, took off the backing and like 1mm of cotton leaving me with the other backing and about 3mm in cotton. Took the bigger piece, held some in one juice well, wrapped it around the positive side of the coil around and under the negative lead, around twice and tucked the remaining into the opposite juice well. Screwed the cap on and trimmed off the excess. It's wicking just fine so far plenty of cotton in there but not filling the thing (i'd probably wrap the remaining cotton sheet to fill it if I drilled extra juice holes).

At this point I have some of the premade quad coils on the way but I figure I'll only take those out when I want to put strange looks on my friends faces, for personal enjoyment this kills everything I've tried. The only downside is I think I've reached perfection and what will I tinker with now?!?!

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The only downside is I think I've reached perfection and what will I tinker with now?!?!

First, Congrats!!! Second, there is always something that needs its warrenty voided... And third, please put some pics up!!.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
First, Congrats!!! Second, there is always something that needs its warrenty voided... And third, please put some pics up!!.
Absolutely. And, I did end up taking one of the rebuildables and drilling hole in the hood. Figure I have more rebuildables than TFv4s right now I can always swap the hoods around. The holes seem to be needed for max or near max VG. So I got that done and now I'm up to 150w (max currently) and my ohh my. Why do I need the quad coils that are on their way now? :confused:

I'll work on the pictures (I'm a dumbphone user, so I need to track down a camera that'll actually work)

I guess coils will be my next thing but waiting on like 4 different types of wire to get here so I can play with them.

lownote2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Pretty ingenious onebadwolf!! Not sure I'm going to try it, but hats off to you. I picked up the Uwell Crown before the TFV4 and still love it. After the TFV4 I still trash talked it. It wasn't bad, but I liked the Crown better, mainly because I couldn't get the dual RBA to not leak all the time. Once I got the wicking down I now take back every bad thing I ever said about it. I absolutely love it with the dual RBA. I will admit the single one is the sickly cousin. I can't get decent flavor out of it like the dual. I do like the Crown with the RBA, (only a single option) and single rba to single rba it kicks the TFV4's butt. But that dual coil RBA on the TFV4 brings out better flavor than the Crown IMO. Both good tanks, but TFV4 is now my current favorite.

May decide in the near future to attempt your vertical build on the single RBA since I don't have much use for it otherwise. Would love to see a video if you ever decide to do that.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
shot0.jpg shot1.jpg shot2.jpg shot3.jpg shot4.jpg shot5.jpg shot6.jpg

So as you can see, first is it installed, second without the tank (nice big juice holes on the side), third is all the wick inside when I took the cap off, fourth is from the top (yeah it's a lot of cotton), fifth is the cotton around the coil without the extra filler, sixth is the coil on it's own (3X twisted 24g Kanthal, 5 wraps around 4mm rod .3Ω), and 7th is it cooling down after a dryburn.

The only bad thing about it is with that coil there's a bit of a ramp up time, but that's not necessarily a bad thing IMO, it also keeps the heat for a while. So first vape it takes a second to get going, but then I can vape it for a while without the ramp up due to it keeping the heat... not perfect but I love it. I have some SS wire coming in the mail soon (I hope) that I'll play with a bit and see if I can't improve.

As far as wicking I took a strip of cotton about 6mm width and 2mm thick and wrapped that from one juice well around the coil twice and down into the opposite juice well making sure to go under that longer lead. That forms the base then I took another strip of cotton and took the backing off and wrapped that around the coil tightly, while compression is usually a no-no with this much juice and this much cotton if you don't you'll end up with gurgling, and that's no good. So I wet it a little and tighten it. Then I wrapped the backing around the outside to finish it off trim off the top then put the cap back on, it's packed very tightly. Used probably close to a ml of juice to prime it up and stuck it in and fired it up. Few puffs at 50w to get it going then cranked it up to 100w and it's working fine so now back up to 150w and it's good to go.

For me this beats out the quad coil, denser vape, equal clouds, more flavor. Drains the juice faster though ;)

lownote2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Man that's a ton of cotton lol. Is the wick keeping up? It looks like you have holes in the side and left the bottom holes open too? Probably good with all of that cotton and with it being so tightly packed I can't see it flooding too easily. How big were the holes you drilled in the side?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
May have to try vertical coils...Ive just been using it as intended...kinda
20151112_083519-jpg.33611
20151112_092504-jpg.33615
20151111_103104-jpg.33560
20151111_112241-jpg.33566

Just got the TF-R2 in today and will be modifying the airflow and posts. I will try some Vertical Coils in both and report back afterwards

Last edited:

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Man that's a ton of cotton lol. Is the wick keeping up? It looks like you have holes in the side and left the bottom holes open too? Probably good with all of that cotton and with it being so tightly packed I can't see it flooding too easily. How big were the holes you drilled in the side?
Somewhere between 3.5 and 4mm, I'd have to go check the drill bit for exact sizing. But yes, lots of juice in that wick, but tightly packed so no leaking/gurgling. I vaped probably 5-6 tanks on what's shown there before dismantling it this morning for pictures. No charring at all, so I say that's a success. And I did change flavors without issue, I was worried with that much juice just resting in there it'd be a pain swapping flavors as there'd be a ton of juice sitting in there, but honestly I was surprised when it changed flavors pretty quickly after adding the new.

Also with the bottom juice wells still open I can drain a tank completely even after the side juice ports are no longer submerged as there's plenty of juice coming up and still in the massive wad of cotton.

I have run it without that extra cotton just with the stuff around the coil and an unaltered cap, this is actually better for thinner juices but I'm using some 80% vg stuff and I found with that I needed something more, 70vg and lower I was better off without the extra juice as it just flows through so easily. Easy swap though.

This thing just chucks the juice out though, richer flavor than anything I've had before, honestly too much for some flavors. I have a Lemon bar that's quite tasty, but with this thing it's a no go as it tastes like you're chewing on a mouthfull of lemon flavored sugar it's quite sickening. But, I really enjoy it with some of the Milk flavors I have and even the Strawberry Lemonade I have. I'll be trying some of my favorite signature flavor next and see how that goes.

@raymo2u, some nice looking coils you got there. I did one that looked just like your second picture, but i don't have the right wire to make clapton (I think that was your first picture) and certainly not the 3rd style.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u, some nice looking coils you got there. I did one that looked just like your second picture, but i don't have the right wire to make clapton (I think that was your first picture) and certainly not the 3rd style.
If you have some between 22g-28g and any between 32g-40g then you can pull of any of the builds above. They are very simple builds but effective and they are not power hungry so you wouldn't need more then 50w for a great experience with them. I will list what wire for each and method used if you would like. If you could take any of those builds and make them a Vertical build then it may increase the airflow traveling over the coil and wouldn't be loosing any flavor or warmth.

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
For me this beats out the quad coil, denser vape, equal clouds, more flavor. Drains the juice faster though

It does take a lot of cotton, and the juice consumption has to be seen to be believed. But IMO, it beats the quad factory coil, and is super flexible as far as power range.

lownote2

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hence the reason changing flavors comes through so quickly, the thing goes through so much juice! But boy is it yummy. I'm going to have to try the vertical build, don't like the single rba for much of anything else anyway. Thanks for all the info guys.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'd surely be interested. I have some 22g SS coming in, then 20, 26 and 32g Kanthal. Yes the 20g Kanthal is silly but I wanted to see how it worked and it was a couple dollars so why not.

Like I said my issue with what I have currently is the ramp up time, I figure from what I've read SS may be better with that... but on the flip side before i started twisting wires my issue would be too much heating as in by the end of my draw the vapor was burning my lungs (and not dry hit, just too hot). So I gotta figure out that issue.

And yes OneBadWolf it's really insane. I've rewicked the build and finished a tank while cleaning my room and took a shower since I posted those pictures. It's pretty nuts.

The vapor literally wets your mouth with juice, no not spitback, I know spitback from my many failures, this is just such a thick dense vapor in such quantity that it coats your mouth with each pull. God I love it. Obviously not for everyone, it's kind of intense and like I said depending on the flavor it's too much for me at times.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hence the reason changing flavors comes through so quickly, the thing goes through so much juice! But boy is it yummy. I'm going to have to try the vertical build, don't like the single rba for much of anything else anyway. Thanks for all the info guys.
Yup, I was just using it to play around with trying to get a perfect MTL type effect. I think a good one can be done but I'm pretty sure it won't be ideal, plus when you restrict the airflow it can have a very annoying whistle.

Anyways, yeah I figure if I screwed the thing up, no worries I'll just scrap it. The Dual RBA is solid using it normally.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'd surely be interested. I have some 22g SS coming in, then 20, 26 and 32g Kanthal. Yes the 20g Kanthal is silly but I wanted to see how it worked and it was a couple dollars so why not.

Like I said my issue with what I have currently is the ramp up time, I figure from what I've read SS may be better with that... but on the flip side before i started twisting wires my issue would be too much heating as in by the end of my draw the vapor was burning my lungs (and not dry hit, just too hot). So I gotta figure out that issue.

And yes OneBadWolf it's really insane. I've rewicked the build and finished a tank while cleaning my room and took a shower since I posted those pictures. It's pretty nuts.

The vapor literally wets your mouth with juice, no not spitback, I know spitback from my many failures, this is just such a thick dense vapor in such quantity that it coats your mouth with each pull. God I love it. Obviously not for everyone, it's kind of intense and like I said depending on the flavor it's too much for me at times.
Follow a a fused clapton tut using strands of 26g and clapton wire will be 32g. For a really nice vape experience try twisting 22g until there is 4-5 twists per inch, then clapton it with the 32g, afterwards take 2 strands of 32g and follow the twisted path (one on each side-Helix'ing the Twisted Clapton)
At the end it will look like this:
20151107_132929-jpg.33248

2 x 24g Twisted Then Claptoned with 34g and Helixed with 32g
2 x 24g/28g/32g Staggered Clapton
2 x 26g/32g Slightly Flattened Fused Clapton
2 x 24g/34g Fused Clapton
2 x 24g/Flattened 24g Clapton Then Flattened Afterwards
2 x 24g Twisted, Helixed with 32g and Flattened
20151106_130233-jpg.33208

2 x 26g Twisted Frames/4 x 24g Flattened with 34g Helixed (All by Hand/Pliers/Tape)
22g/34g Staggered Fused Clapton
24g/36g Fused Clapton
22g/32g Clapton
20151109_124313-jpg.33388

You got some wire that is useful for some nice builds, your imagination is what can hinder you from pulling them off :cool:

Last edited:

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just did this, works perfect I just used a 3/8 drill bit and drilled it out wicks great no leaking. Had it up to 200 watts no dry hits way to hot for me tho.

767cbd0587e6063c9f0272f2d3e6e272.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

PLANETGETLOW

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you guys tucking the wick down in the small notches on the sides?

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just packed them full of cotton so they won't wick.. the op said he filled them with silicone or something I avoided that just cause silicon and juice I'm vaping feels wrong.

PLANETGETLOW

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just packed them full of cotton so they won't wick.. the op said he filled them with silicone or something I avoided that just cause silicon and juice I'm vaping feels wrong.

Isnt that how the coils gets juice?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
They are drilling a sizable hole on the sides of the coil and then letting the cotton absorb through both the normal inlets and the sides

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can do the vertical coil without any modifications letting it wick through the juice holes (I do this for my higher ohm MTL setup). You just take a strip of KGD and start in one juice well wrap it around the coil once or twice and end in the other juice well, make sure at least one wrap is between the coil and that lead coming from the top of the coil.

No need to pack it super tight with the modified cap either, I do the exact same thing to start then I just wrap extra cotton to pack the cap full.

This picture is with just the single wrap from juice well to juice well (I took the pictures disassembling the build, so this is it after use and still quite juicy, looks different when it's fresh).

Jgasbs4.jpg

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can do the vertical coil without any modifications letting it wick through the juice holes (I do this for my higher ohm MTL setup). You just take a strip of KGD and start in one juice well wrap it around the coil once or twice and end in the other juice well, make sure at least one wrap is between the coil and that lead coming from the top of the coil.

No need to pack it super tight with the modified cap either, I do the exact same thing to start then I just wrap extra cotton to pack the cap full.

This picture is with just the single wrap from juice well to juice well (I took the pictures disassembling the build, so this is it after use and still quite juicy, looks different when it's fresh).

Jgasbs4.jpg
You can but your not gunna be pushing no 200 watts without a modification, I think that's what this whole post is about getting higher watts to your single coil rba.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Oh for sure, you need plenty of juice flowing to be able to get that wattage without just burning the crap out of your cotton.

My point was simply that you don't have to block off those holes. You can make a solid setup without any modifications, of course you can't push that to 200w, but you still don't have to block off the juice wells for the modified builds.

I took my standard vertical build then just went from there, put in some extra juice holes on one of the caps, drilled out my base for larger diameter wire builds and it's excellent, but I still start my wicking the same way, using the juice channels for additional wicking rather than blocking them off.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You can make a solid setup without any modifications, of course you can't push that to 200w, but you still don't have to block off the juice wells for the modified builds.

I have done it...
No mods and single deck, very possible 150-200w vaping, but once its hot its hot enough to fry juice down the cotton tails and isnt pleasant...but its best around 110w
26g 40g Fused Clapton  .jpg 26g 40g Fused Clapton   .jpg

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have done it...
No mods and single deck, very possible 150-200w vaping, but once its hot its hot enough to fry juice down the cotton tails and isnt pleasant...but its best around 110w

I'm no expert, but that seems to resemble a horizontal coil to me......

VU Sponsors