Become a Patron!

New to it all... Need some help...

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Seems like a great community, thanks for the account!

So, Im new to vaping and DIY juicing. I havent smoked a cig in two weeks, baby! #wootwoot

I just ordered about 40 TFA flavors, 100mg nic, PG, VG and some basic equip. Cannot wait to get started. Here are a few of my initial concerns...

I use a iTazte MVP with several different clearomizers (T3D, T3S, Aspire CE5). After using clearomizers for the last couple weeks, I cannot imagine tasting my DIY juice with a clearomizer. I stopped into a local ahop and bought a 510 drip tip. It doeant seem to work quite right. Are there other options for tasting juice? Something that's a bit more accurate from each drop? (i.e. disposable wicks like cotton balls or something)

Any help would be much appreciated!

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can use a cheap dripper Like an igo L or W That works great for me.
But you will need to learn how to build coils. If I can do it you can too.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The short 510 atomizers are a good pick for most people. Or you can use just the coil part of your clearos for one or two drops.

Good luck with your DIY efforts! My best advice is to take notes, and start with small batches. Other than that, don't be scared to experiment! Some of the weirdest things taste delicious! <3

Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Edit: Welcome to VU!
Sent from the Otter Box around my Galaxy S4.

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I would love to learn to build custom components. It just seems so overwhelming right now. Ohms, Watts, Voltage, Resistance... I should have paid more attention in science class.

Matthew Zarzecki

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! I would love to learn to build custom components. It just seems so overwhelming right now. Ohms, Watts, Voltage, Resistance... I should have paid more attention in science class.
It's okay, you'll learn it all in time. The MVP goes from 6 to 11 watts at 0.5 increments. Also goes from 3.3 to 5 volts at 0.1 increments. The MVP has a 3 amp limit. If you do end up getting an RDA, try consulting Youtube videos to learn how to build a single micro/macro coil and an Ohm's Law Calculator for vaping. Try entering different values for resistance between 1-2 ohms and different wattages and volts to find a build that does not exceed 3 Amps. Just know you cannot enter more than 2 values at a time. I've had the most success with two different builds :

1.7ohm single macro coil I think, 8 wraps around a 5/64" drill bit with 28 gauge A1 kanthal running at 5 volts should hypothetically be pushing around 15.5 watts at 3 amps.

Also a 1.3 ohm micro coil, 8 wraps around something a little smaller. I personally use the stick part of an incense stick. A toothpick may also work. Using 28 gauge kanthal again and I run that build at 11 watts.

As you become more experienced, you'll find a build that suits you best. Good luck!

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks everyone!!! Incredibly helpful! Im going to pickup one of those drippers.

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I had never built coils before either. So after using this dripper for a week I bought a second one in case I couldn't get a coil to work. LOL It doesn't take long to get the hang of it.

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How does the Smoktech Dripper ($7) compare to the IGO-W ($15)? Can they both be used on my iTazte MVP without jeopardizing my battery? Which one should I get. Until @Ld3441 mentioned the Smoktech, I planned to pickup an IGO-W.

Found an incredibly helpful video on coil building (start it at about 7:55).

Honestly, it stirred up even more questions in my brain but did answer a lot.

1. Why couldn't I just use organic cotton balls for wicks? They're cheap and I wouldn't have to worry about cross-blending when trying to perfect a recipe. Obviously any cotton balls that have been bleached would not work due to the chemical composition.
2. Why wouldn't you wrap the coil like 100 times to get even more vapor?
3. What factors play a role on battery drain?

(I apologize if I am nerding out too hard here. I just want to get started so badly).

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Ah... the smoktech is small much smaller than the IGO-W.
It was just something to try out to see if it worked for me without investing $$.
They will both work on your MVP, no problems there.

Wicks are a subject you will get lots of varying opinions on. A LOT of people love cotton but I am not a fan. It has a nasty taste to me and I can't get past it. I have tried more than once but it's a no go.

It takes awhile trying various things to figure out what works best for YOU. We are all different and just because someone loves it, there will be others that hate it.

Get an ohms reader first thing if you decide to do coils. And a calculator. This is where ohms law come in play and I won't even try to explain that. How many wraps in a coil plays a BIG factor. Good luck to you, you have your hands in lots of different things. It's fun but can be frustrating starting out. Don't let it get to you and enjoy!

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Ld3441 you and I are going to be great friends, LOL. Seems like we have/are taking similar paths...

Ok, good to know about the heads. So in your opinion, should I just get the IGO-W?

In terms of wicks, I'll try it out and see. I'm sure the cotton balls are cheap but it's good to know that there is a taste involved.

Oh goodness! Words of wisdom - LOL. Thanks again bud - really appreciate your time!

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Ld3441 you and I are going to be great friends, LOL. Seems like we have/are taking similar paths...

Ok, good to know about the heads. So in your opinion, should I just get the IGO-W?

In terms of wicks, I'll try it out and see. I'm sure the cotton balls are cheap but it's good to know that there is a taste involved.

Oh goodness! Words of wisdom - LOL. Thanks again bud - really appreciate your time!
Make sure that you do alot of research. I drilled out the holes on the igo W as they are tiny. I only use it with 1 coil to test liquid. I generally make a micro coil, wrapped around a 2mm screwdriver using 28 Guage kanthal for 1.3 ohms. I either use japanese cotton or rayon. These work out very well to test my recipes. Watch alot of videos. Make sure you use an ohm meter. Have fun! Not a blast!.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Make sure that you do alot of research. I drilled out the holes on the igo W as they are tiny. I only use it with 1 coil to test liquid. I generally make a micro coil, wrapped around a 2mm screwdriver using 28 Guage kanthal for 1.3 ohms. I either use japanese cotton or rayon. These work out very well to test my recipes. Watch alot of videos. Make sure you use an ohm meter. Have fun! Not a blast!.
What she said.
If you just want a cheap atty for flavor testing the 306 atties are a dream for instant gratification.

OK my 2 copper pieces in this.. less is more when dripping on the nic, less is more on flavorings..
Mix a batch and set it aside.. shake and vape for a for a few impressions and set it aside.
Some TFA flavorings like coffee clear, kona coffee and double chocolate clear are best at max 1 drop per bottle until you get a good grounding on how you want to take your flavorings.

kelli

Vapid Vapetress
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hi bart, i have nothing helpful to say....just wanted to welcome you to VU and congrats on quitting stinkies. :)

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@chickenmonkey - No idea what kayfun and taifun are, lol sorry... I will probably go with a rebuildable tank, as I cannot see the clearomizers I use doing well with high VG bases (could be wrong). What do you mean about new heads? and THNX!

@BigNasy - I will look into 306 atomizers, and thank you!

@kelli - Thanks and a friendly welcome is certainly helpful - ;)

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@chickenmonkey - No idea what kayfun and taifun are, lol sorry... I will probably go with a rebuildable tank, as I cannot see the clearomizers I use doing well with high VG bases (could be wrong). What do you mean about new heads? and THNX!

@BigNasy - I will look into 306 atomizers, and thank you!

@kelli - Thanks and a friendly welcome is certainly helpful - ;)
Kayfun and taifun are rebuildable tanks.

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So are you saying I should just get something like that, rather than getting a drip? Forgive me, I just don't follow...

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thnx - I think that's the same on I linked from Amazon...

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So are you saying I should just get something like that, rather than getting a drip? Forgive me, I just don't follow...
I was just saying that I use a dripping atomizer to test recipes and a rebuildable tank for all day use, which are the kayfun and taifun. Sorry to confuse.

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, well thats easy!! :) Thnx. How does the kayfun do with 100% VG? Or 70% VG?

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Also, if I may ask, where do u buy your cotton balls?

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
ATM using white cloud brand.

I picked up a GIANT bag for 2 bucks at walmart and boiled a shitload of them and they work fantastic

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
#woot - thnx

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm in the process of getting a buylist together of all the stuff I need. I'll post here first, just to see if anyone has other suggestions - thanks again everyone. Couldn't have asked for a warmer welcome.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh, well thats easy!! :) Thnx. How does the kayfun do with 100% VG? Or 70% VG?
I use 50/50 as I can't do more than that in vg. So I am not sure about high vg content sorry.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The first cotton I used was what I had in the bathroom, probably just a walmart special. I use japanese cotton that I found at amazon now. It is very good. I also use the rayon which is really cheap in a massive box from sally beauty supply. I do rayon in drippers and the cotton in tanks.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use 50/50 as I can't do more than that in vg. So I am not sure about high vg content sorry.
Ya 50/50 40/60 pg vg is about the max you honestly want to go in a kayfun, the wicking and juice channels do not keep up witht he monster thick liquids.
If you venture into 100 vg you will want to cut your vg with distilled water. again a little goes a long way to thin out vg.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I use the same Smok dripper Ld posted, also on an MVP. If I kinda like a flavor in that, then I'll really like it in a tank. It's good for sampling, imo. I use 100% cotton yarn that I got from Hobby Lobby, called Sugar and Cream. Walmart also has some called Peaches and Cream. Get the Ecru "color", if you go that route. It's the natural color, not dyed or anything. I boil it to remove any sizing or handling since it sits on a shelf. If you use Organic or Sterile cotton, you'd rather have something "bleached" with HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, not the other stuff. I've tried cotton, once you get several vapes in, the cottony flavor goes away, but it's there in the beginning. Most places will carry the right cotton, organic or sterile. Some use plain ole cotton balls.

I also use a very similar Ohms reader that I got from Discount Vapers. My Kanthal is 32 gauge, wrapped around a 5/64 drill bit. I like a 2.2 ohm +/- so I wrap 4 full wraps (5/4).

With DIY liquids, definitely do a lot of research, like Vaping Junkie said. Lots of flavor companies, learn the safety of nic handling. And have fun!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I boil some have used some out of the bag no difference in taste just a difference in hassle.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use the same Smok dripper Ld posted, also on an MVP. If I kinda like a flavor in that, then I'll really like it in a tank. It's good for sampling, imo. I use 100% cotton yarn that I got from Hobby Lobby, called Sugar and Cream. Walmart also has some called Peaches and Cream. Get the Ecru "color", if you go that route. It's the natural color, not dyed or anything. I boil it to remove any sizing or handling since it sits on a shelf. If you use Organic or Sterile cotton, you'd rather have something "bleached" with HYDROGEN PEROXIDE, not the other stuff. I've tried cotton, once you get several vapes in, the cottony flavor goes away, but it's there in the beginning. Most places will carry the right cotton, organic or sterile. Some use plain ole cotton balls.

I also use a very similar Ohms reader that I got from Discount Vapers. My Kanthal is 32 gauge, wrapped around a 5/64 drill bit. I like a 2.2 ohm +/- so I wrap 4 full wraps (5/4).

With DIY liquids, definitely do a lot of research, like Vaping Junkie said. Lots of flavor companies, learn the safety of nic handling. And have fun!
I second this.. gloves and ventilation with 100mg nic. Honestly 100mg nic is nothing to get sloppy with you can cause some issues if you do.

One thing I should suggest.... once you find your pg/vg ratios you can premix base and nic for storage.
I personally don't since my mother vapes 50/50 40/60 in 9-12mg strength and I vape 20/80 10/90 in 3-6mg.

Bart

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LMAO - dying laughing re: potatoes...

OK, so here's what I am looking at:

Russian 91% - Polilshed RBA Tank -> $93
IGO-W RDA -> $17
28g Kanthal A1 Wire -> $2
Koga Japanese Cotton -> $6
Digital Ohm Reader -> $18

About $136

I already got my base mixing supplies and a crapload of TFA flavors in 8mL bottles.

I did hear about the distilled water cutting - heard it works well.

I don't plan to use the nic until I get the taste down. That stuff is way to expensive and dangerous to use, until I am absolutely ready for it.

Thoughts on the buylist?

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LMAO - dying laughing re: potatoes...

OK, so here's what I am looking at:

Russian 91% - Polilshed RBA Tank -> $93
IGO-W RDA -> $17
28g Kanthal A1 Wire -> $2
Koga Japanese Cotton -> $6
Digital Ohm Reader -> $18

About $136

I already got my base mixing supplies and a crapload of TFA flavors in 8mL bottles.

I did hear about the distilled water cutting - heard it works well.

I don't plan to use the nic until I get the taste down. That stuff is way to expensive and dangerous to use, until I am absolutely ready for it.

Thoughts on the buylist?
Wow that russian is high.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I just picked up some of that Koga the other day. Still trying to decide if I like it, honestly. Clean taste, for sure, but pretty finicky. I'm only using said dripper and a Protank 2 or mini, though. It'll last a while, even at 5 sheets. I've been happy with yarn.

One thing, though. Adding nic can sometimes change the flavors a tad. I always make a base of nic at 300ml. I make a lot of 5ml samples and a few ADV.

VU Sponsors