Become a Patron!

New to Rba builds need advice.

Lucus86

Member For 1 Year
Hi guys im very new to the RBA scene and only been using rba squonk for over a week and any help would be appreciated.

Im using vandy vape 80w with The drop Rda.

Used to use Smok Tfv8 sub ohm tank but fancied a change.

Is there a maximum/minimum ohm coil i should use or a prefered general range that anyone could suggest.
Currently using 0.45ohm ALIEN claptons duel build with cotton bacom v2 cotton.
Vapes ok but i want more flavour. Would anyone be able to suggest anything or best videos to watch for newbies to this type of vaping

Many thanks

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi guys im very new to the RBA scene and only been using rba squonk for over a week and any help would be appreciated.

Is there a maximum/minimum ohm coil i should use or a prefered general range that anyone could suggest.
Vapes ok but i want more flavour. Would anyone be able to suggest anything or best videos to watch for newbies to this type of vaping

Many thanks

What is the wire material of the aliens you're using and what wattage are you firing them at? Any pics of your build would be really helpful.

Theres a lot of variables there which can be the advantage of rebuildables, or the problem, depending on your viewpoint.

Getting some good coils and then adjusting things like coil positioning, and wattage level are the most important three things to significantly boosting the flavor.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Welcome :)

I'm using the Drop myself right now! If your aliens are actually claptoned flat wire (most spools are) then you may have too much coil in there. Pictures are great for this sort of thing. The type of coil can make a big difference, ohms are hard to suggest because there are so many different coils/wire out there

I try to build between 0.1 and 0.3 ohms, you have a lot of leeway with your regulated mod - it will fire coils as low as 0.05 ohms

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Many thanks
The easiest way for me to explain how to get the most out of that mod is to keep your coil Mass down. Regular fused Claptons 26g-28 with a 40g wrap wire will give you great battery life, and a wonderful vape.

You don't want to run your mod at 80 and completely off put the mod because of battery life. Learn to use the mod you have at it's full potential.

Learn to make the mod give YOU the best vape possible.

Single battery squonking is an art form in and of itself. When you find that perfect vape you will probably use squonking most of the time.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
If you could state the brand of coil, as I suspect it's actually a clapton/fused clapton and not really alien wrapped. And all of the above.
I'm using this wire as I type, on asMODus C4 LP and the flavor is great and I'll be getting a spool since it will work well for a few of my atty's.
https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/...-lengths-10pk-316l-ss-fused-clapton-28gx3-36g

This is what I typically use, 2-4 core w/38-40g wrap, or handbuilt alien or fralien. There's a lot out there that say alien, but they're really claptons.

I also suspect you used .45 for the Drop because of what you were using in the smok? Try lower resitance.

Last edited:

Lucus86

Member For 1 Year
Hi guys thanks for coming back to me. See the attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20180516_151304-381x677.jpg
    20180516_151304-381x677.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180516_151341-362x511.jpg
    20180516_151341-362x511.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180516_151404-365x779.jpg
    20180516_151404-365x779.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180516_151425-450x600.jpg
    20180516_151425-450x600.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20180516-151447_Gallery-360x740.jpg
    Screenshot_20180516-151447_Gallery-360x740.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20180516-153506_Gallery-360x740.jpg
    Screenshot_20180516-153506_Gallery-360x740.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 9

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
There won't be any true aliens in that Demon Killer pack, but that's not to say your flavor can't be improved with them.
The outside wrap of that pic'd coil goes straight a cross, alien's is wavy.
Assuming coils are firing evenly and inside out, I still can't say about coil positioning lol, as I don't use Drop.
I would think you have more wick than needed. Looks overwicked.

Last edited:

Lucus86

Member For 1 Year
There won't be any true aliens in that Demon Killer pack, but that's not to say your flavor can't be improved with them.
Assuming coils are firing evenly and inside out, I till can't say about coil positioning lol, as I don't use Drop.

Thanks for your advice tbh i knew these wouldnt be the best coils and i dont want to mess around making my own coils just yet lol. Im in the UK and i cannot find any decently rated vendors of some decent pre built coils. Also is there any rules j need to follow to make sure i dont blow up the mod i know its regulated but i dont want to put the wrong coils in etc and blow up the mod. Like i said im a right novice used to just buy a coil screw it in and away i went but trying this method out.

Lucus86

Member For 1 Year
Assuming coils are firing evenly and inside out, I till can't say about coil positioning lol, as I don't use Drop.

Thanks for your advice tbh i knew these wouldnt be the best coils and i dont want to mess around making my own coils just yet lol. Im in the UK and i cannot find any decently rated vendors of some decent pre built coils. Also is there any rules j need to follow to make sure i dont blow up the mod i know its regulated but i dont want to put the wrong coils in etc and blow up the mod. Like i said im a right novice lol

Don29palms

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Try turnning up the watts. In my Drop right now I have a rectangle wire build. .24ohms at 70 watts. The flavor is spot on. I personally don't like Demon Killer wire. In my experience, the coils break down and develop hot spots.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for your advice tbh i knew these wouldnt be the best coils and i dont want to mess around making my own coils just yet lol. Im in the UK and i cannot find any decently rated vendors of some decent pre built coils. Also is there any rules j need to follow to make sure i dont blow up the mod i know its regulated but i dont want to put the wrong coils in etc and blow up the mod. Like i said im a right novice lol
For a regulated mod, it has safety features to help protect anything that's "out of bounds". Like if your resistance is too low it won't fire, and you can look at your mods specs to see what that resistance cut-off is. Of course the lower you go, the more power it needs and resulting lower battery charge life.
What brand/model batteries you using?

Last edited:

Lucus86

Member For 1 Year
Try turnning up the watts. In my Drop right now I have a rectangle wire build. .24ohms at 70 watts. The flavor is spot on. I personally don't like Demon Killer wire. In my experience, the coils break down and develop hot spots.

Aa i said above im in the UK do you know of any reputable vedors of pre built coils and also any suggestes coils. Also as VAPE FAN said i may be using to much cotton its hard to know how much to use im guessing everyone starts off trial and error lol some people say enough to pull through coils without moving their position is spot on.

Lucus86

Member For 1 Year
For a regulated mod, it has safety features to help protect anything that's "out of bounds". Like if your resistance is too low it won't fire, and you can look at your mods specs to see what that resistance cut-off is. Of course the lower you go, the more power it needs and resulting battery charge life.
What brand/model batteries you using?

Using efest at sec, but looking at these for better battery life

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_180516_161732450-756x1008.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_180516_161732450-756x1008.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20180516-161929_Chrome-360x740.jpg
    Screenshot_20180516-161929_Chrome-360x740.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 7

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
There are some threads here for vendors in UK. You must already have everything needed for premade coil, so all you really need to make one is the wire and a screwdriver of drill bit[easy peasy], unless you want to go ahead and get a coil jig and if your using rebuildable it's good to have one.
Use http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html to see what your resistance will be for given wire/id/wraps.

Mooch is the vaping battery guru of the vaping world. There's a link in my sig. He also has all his test results/info on Facebook.
And here's a link to your efest batteries true specs. Never trust what the wrap on the battery says.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...ts-just-another-rewrapped-10a-battery.736533/
It's about a 10 amp battery, as Mooch says at 15A it runs hotter than it's competitors. Not a good battery. I'm thinking about 30w max for that battery but there are some members that are more versed in calculating that. I wouldn't use that battery.
But that Vapcell Gold 20700 is a great battery, and look up Mooch's results on that one :)

The new VV 80w regulated squonker.

Lucus86

Member For 1 Year
There are some threads here for vendors in UK. You must already have everything needed for premade coil, so all you really need to make one is the wire and a screwdriver of drill bit[easy peasy], unless you want to go ahead and get a coil jig and if your using rebuildable it's good to have one.
Use http://www.steam-engine.org/wirewiz.html to see what your resistance will be for given wire/id/wraps.

Mooch is the vaping battery guru of the vaping world. There's a link in my sig. He also has all his test results/info on Facebook.
And here's a link to your efest batteries true specs. Never trust what the wrap on the battery says.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/t...ts-just-another-rewrapped-10a-battery.736533/
It's about a 10 amp battery, as Mooch says at 15A it runs hotter than it's competitors. Not a good battery. I'm thinking about 30w max for that battery but there are some members that are more versed in calculating that. I wouldn't use that battery.
But that Vapcell Gold 20700 is a great battery, and look up Mooch's results on that one :)

The new VV 80w regulated squonker.

Haha. I contacted mooch on fb great help and gave me the advice on batteries one being the one i said i will buy. Thanks for your help its really appreciated

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180516-162641_Chrome-360x740-90x185.jpg
    Screenshot_20180516-162641_Chrome-360x740-90x185.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 5

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Maybe @Pegleg Meg or other Drop user will let us know about wicking/coil placement and such.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

If you're squonking and like battery life, take one of those coils out and put the other one in upside down like this picture
Bend the legs a bit to get it in upside down, this way will squonk faster, get more air to the coils and one coil will get longer battery life - might also undo a wrap before you install it

IMG_20180516_100342-1209x1612.jpg

Be sure to close off the top row of air slots at a minimum, mabe cut off the second top row as well

IMG_20180516_105325-1209x1612.jpg

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
If you're squonking and like battery life, take one of those coils out and put the other one in upside down like this picture

May also take a wrap or two off

Bend the legs a bit, this way will squonk faster, get more air to the coils and thus more flavor (and longer battery life)

View attachment 111232

Be sure to close off the top row of air slots at a minimum, mabe cut off the second top row as well
Looks like coil placement is quite a bit lower than TS's?

Last edited:

advancedvapesupply

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So annoying that lots of Chinese manufacturers sell wires as aliens just to have the name when they have no relation to alien wires.

I agree with the posts above, you could do a large, heat dense kind of single coil to get good performance with the mod you're using. If you want dual you'll have to take a hit on the size of the wires and still have it perform well. Something like 28x2 fused or 30x3 fused would work well in dual, while with a single coil the sky is the limit there, whatever coil you want pretty much.

You'll want to make sure the cotton gives just the slightest bit of resistance when you pull it through the coil. If the coil moves as you pull the cotton through, it's too much cotton. And be sure to pay attention to the positioning of the coils so the airflow is positioned to directly hit the coils. As mentioned before other people with more familiarity with that RDA would be more helpful there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Looks like coil placement is quit a bit lower that TS's?

Not sure what TS's is, but yeah it's very low yet still tastes good! And soaks very fast since it's just above the squonk pin

This RDA is deceptively large, looks great at first glance for huge coils (and it is, for pictures or single coils - but there isn't enough room for air between dual coils if you go over 3mm diameter - 2.5mm if the wire is thick like yours

Less metal will also heat faster and save your battery life, so you might pull off your flat clapton wire with 2 coils if you cut it down to 2.5mm diameter and 5 wraps

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
TS = thread starter :)

Oh, right! :facepalm:

I built my Drop like that first, coils up top, and it's great for dripping and cloud blasting with the air open and a big mod, but with squonking it's a long path of cotton for the liquid to reach the coils

VU Sponsors