Become a Patron!

New to RDA builds, does my mod support them?

Hello im new here and i'd appreciate some insight on this..
I have a evic vtc mini and just got a kanger dota rdta. The mod goes up to 75w but im not sure what type of coil is recommended for this setup or how much ohmns should i be building to get a nice flavor?
Thanks in advance

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp
build to around 50W, so you can go up or down to suit your taste. Like, no sense building a coil that runs 75 watts if the vape is still to cool. 300 mw/mm2 (give or take 30 or so) is a fair vape range, but your tastes may be a lot different.
I can say, you will likely be wanting to use 26 or 28ga Kantal or Nichrome. (28 if you want to build a clapton coil, 75 watts isn't much to push wrapped wire)

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Did you try the coils that come with it? Thinner gauge wire (28ga) heats easier than heaver gauge (22-24ga) and uses less power to reach temp. Learn to use Steam Engine it's a builders best friend. On my VTC mini I usually use 24ga SS316L 0.22Ω single coil in TC mode or 28ga SS316L 1.5Ω dual coils in power or TC mode. I think you'll find there's a lot you can build for a 75 watt mod as long as you don't get to fancy.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Did you try the coils that come with it? Thinner gauge wire (28ga) heats easier than heaver gauge (22-24ga) and uses less power to reach temp. Learn to use Steam Engine it's a builders best friend. On my VTC mini I usually use 24ga SS316L 0.22Ω single coil in TC mode or 28ga SS316L 1.5Ω dual coils in power or TC mode. I think you'll find there's a lot you can build for a 75 watt mod as long as you don't get to fancy.
Just to add.. Stainless Steel is a good conductor, so takes more power to heat than kanthal or nichrome (which are resistance wires). But yea, 26-28ga stainless should work ok. Kanthal is cheaper to learn on. I find stainless steel gives a bit better flavor, but I have to recharge my batteries more often, due to the extra power needed to heat the coils (vs Kanthal or NiChr)

My personal recommendation, to someone new to building coils, is keep it simple. Kanthal to start, then NiChrome, and use 32ga to 34ga stainless steel when you start doing claptons. (Single core is better for low wattage mods, otherwise your core wires will be to thin and a lot harder to work with)
There are vids in the coil building section.

Yes i've tried the coils it comes with but i dont know why they produce no flavor at all (Kanthal A1 claption .30Ω each one)... i've tried them single and dual, i'll try what you guys told me, thanks everyone

Klove1337

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hello im new here and i'd appreciate some insight on this..
I have a evic vtc mini and just got a kanger dota rdta. The mod goes up to 75w but im not sure what type of coil is recommended for this setup or how much ohmns should i be building to get a nice flavor?
Thanks in advance

I get awesome flavour at 80 W... it only depends on how you build.
Clapton for flavour, i would go with SS. It lasts longer, and taste gets better, IMO.
Dont go super sub ohm, go more like .8 - .4 ish and see how it is.
More wraps = more ohm
Bigger diameter = more ohm :).
The only thing is that with 75 w, you have a better vape, with a little higher ohm's.
But if you find a nice build, it will taste amazing, as it does with a rda :)
I wish you good luck, and welcome to VU my friend :)

Edit: give an update when you try it out :-D

Last edited:

VU Sponsors