Become a Patron!

new to RDA need advice

Been vaping for quite some time now. I just received my first mech as a gift and was wondering what gauge wire is best to use in a build for producing big clouds. I'm using a av m6 mod with a mutation x RDA.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd probably start with 24 gauge and a simple dual coil build. You have an ohm checker and the knowledge to build within your batteries limits?

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The gauge depends on the resistance yr aiming for and the min resistance depends on your battery amp rating.

I'm going to get a ohm checker before I do any sort of builds. Want to learn more about it before I go and start building. I'm using 35amp batteries that I was given with it. So that that brings the question what would b a good resistance to aim for?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't know why he said gauge depends on target resistance. That makes no sense to me. You can build 'x' ohm coil(s) with any commonly used gauge. Try 24 or 26 and shoot for .4 - .5 to start. You'll figure it out from there. Or maybe someone else will chime in with something better.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can build the same resistance with most gauges but i would still choose a gauge most suited for my chosen resistance in order to build an optimal coil.
35 amps you say, if you have the purple efests they are actually 20 amps.

VapedCrusader

Custard Junkie
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
26 is a perfect place to start imo.... I've noticed 24 takes a little too long to heat up for my liking.. 26 is always my goto

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Iv'e started with 28.
Now I'm using twisted 28, 26 and twisted 26.

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have an Istick and want to make it into a dripper. what all do i need to make an rba safely.

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
whats the ohm reading on that? i cant vape below 1ohm on the istick.

huston

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ok i picked up the helios clone running dual coil at 1.1 ohm. works great! 28 gauge wire with 16 wraps each side.

madmonkey

The Road Warrior
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I usually don't give out "new RDA' building advice because I sound like a crotchity old mad I feel like...rebuilding in one year has changed and moved at light speed and not too long ago we were building with 30-32 gauge and 28 was "pushing the envelope." So to speak...I still say start with 28 gauge wire...it's really easy to work with...grab some 26 and 24 and work your way down...it's ok to start out at .6-.7 and work your way down to a point .2 build...besides, I know a lot of people love it but I prefer a cooler vape and until I had the right atty...well lets just say the first time I build a .2x build I choked....that's a "nice" way of putting it :) . I don't care what anyone says, high wattage vaping takes getting used to.

Toyotaslave

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like 5 wraps of 22ga on a 9/64 drill bit with dual coils. Mostly because I have a bunch of 22ga. But the flavor and output are satisfactory. I'm no huge clouder, but I have to have SOME show for my vape. I was given a spool of 28ga and so far I like toying with twisting it up different ways; even with the 22ga. I even did a counterclockwise 4 strand 28 twisted clockwise with 22 - it looked like waves. Neat, but still like my first suggestion better. Just sayin'. Wire is cheap. Try some different gauges and play around until you find a good balance for you of flavor, heat, and cloud. Above all make sure you're safe with the battery limits. If you don't have an ohm reader, at the very least check the build specs to see that you're in the safe zone. Try this one: http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
depending on how low you want to go.
18650 this is going to be the min size, forget pulse amps go buy the lower amp limit.
If the battery has fire in the name it is not a name but a promise of what is going to happen.

Hot buttons on a mech means something is going to go fucky, stop doing it and find out why.

Well did dual triple twisted 26g and it worked great but the button started to get hot so I stopped using those coils and did a 9 wrap sleeper coil that ohm's at .63 haven't had any issues since I switched coils

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
26g is my most used gauge wire. It's very versatile, easy to work with, and can be used in MANY types of builds.

Desire

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
24 GA Kanthal wire + cotton :)

TwistedVaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If you're looking to chase the clouds, 20 gauge will be your best friend ;)

Browncoat

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Vape Media
Keep in mind when it comes to wire gauge (thickness): The thicker the wire, the lower the resistance. In other words, current travels easier through thicker wire.

For cloud chasing, you want a long pull so that you can fill your lungs with vapor. This is why single coil builds are pretty much out of the question, because they're usually around 5-6 wraps and made for short bursts. What you want for cloud chasing is a relatively cool vape that takes awhile to heat up, so you can take a long draw. This is just my opinion of course, but for me, the ideal cloud chasing setup has been:

• 3mm ID
  • 26 awg
  • 7-8 wraps
  • dual coil
This gives you a 0.4 - 0.5 ohm build with a wide open coil (3mm) for plenty of wicking.

JediTT

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Keep in mind when it comes to wire gauge (thickness): The thicker the wire, the lower the resistance. In other words, current travels easier through thicker wire.

For cloud chasing, you want a long pull so that you can fill your lungs with vapor. This is why single coil builds are pretty much out of the question, because they're usually around 5-6 wraps and made for short bursts. What you want for cloud chasing is a relatively cool vape that takes awhile to heat up, so you can take a long draw. This is just my opinion of course, but for me, the ideal cloud chasing setup has been:

• 3mm ID
  • 26 awg
  • 7-8 wraps
  • dual coil
This gives you a 0.4 - 0.5 ohm build with a wide open coil (3mm) for plenty of wicking.
This is a very common build that I use a lot. You can also do it with 2mm ID and 6 wraps if you're using an atty with a smaller chamber which I think comes out to 0.2 - 0.3 ohm.

VU Sponsors