Become a Patron!

New to vaping and RDA's. No flavor. Need some help!

Hi everyone! Three weeks ago I smoked my first ecig, a Blu disposable. Needless to say, I have made some progress. I've been building on RDA's for about a week now. Getting GREAT vapor, but not so much flavor. Would rather have flavor to be honest. This is my best build so far - twisted 28 dual coil coming in at .5ohm. But no matter what I do, I cannot get any flavor that comes close to what I am getting from my Kanger subox mini. My RDA is a Tobeco Plume Veil 1.5 (clone)...could that be the problem?? I've read a lot of good things about this clone, so I am pretty sure it's just a case of the noobs. Any insight would be helpful. Oh, and the coils and the cotton in the pic are brand new - and the bottom coil is not really as jacked up as it looks in the pic - vaping some tobacco flavored juice called Slartibartfast from Vapor Chef. Gonna have to rewick right after I vape it for sure.

36kl2EI.jpg

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Nice build, dude!

First thing I see is way to much cotton. that's a side airflow and you have the airflow coming from under the negative post blocked.
The other thing is the coil is below the airflow hole.
Not sure what diameter that is but try and go with a 2-2.5mm inside diameter and pull the coil out towards the barrel and up above the airflow hole when you wick it wick it with less cotton just have it through the coil and onto the ðcl on either side, no cotton under the coil and leave the space between the coild empty so the air can come through the negative post and get to vapor.

Set the coils similar to this in relation to airflow
20150330_005059_resized_zpskqmzaxgm.jpg

Wick similar to this
temporary_zpsdo4ni4p5.jpg

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My Subox mini doesn't seem to fire my RDA with gusto, it takes too long to ramp up and maybe that could be affecting your flavor? I'm assuming your pushing max wattage on that mod, some maybe something a touch more powerful could do better? These RDAs have so much airflow you really can take it above 50w and still keep the vapor cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you up the ohms on your build that will help with the slow ramp up time. I have a DNA 30 squanker that I keep a .8 ohm build in just so it preforms well at 30 watts.

@f1r3b1rd - my coils are 2mm. You can't tell from pic but the ends of the cotton are folded down just enough to touch the deck. There's space under the coil where the airflow is. The cotton next to positive posts are just small clouds I popped in there. With that said, I will try less cotton and try something like your pic.

@VapeRN - I am only firing around 30 watts. It gets too hot if I go anywhere higher. I think I am going to go in to the B&M and see about getting something designed for RDA's like this. Never even considered the ramp up time of the coil. Thanks.

@Oggy - I will try a higher ohm build. Never even considered the ramp up time. I actually used the 1.2ohm coils that came with Kanger last night and the flavor was amazing - until I forgot I had them in and cranked it up to 30 watts (it burned up). I guess it would work the same for an RDA?

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1.2 ohms at 30 wats is 6 volts pulling 5 amps.

The higher the ohms of a coil the less watts you need to use. For a 1.5 ohm coil at 15 watts you get 4.7 volts.
While I understand that most people use watts to gauge the power they are pushing, I prefer using volts. 4.2 volts is the same for a .5 ohm or 1.5 ohm atomizer.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I normally run .2-.3 ohm dual coil at around 70 watts 3.9 v for the dripper I use dailey. The 3 drippers I use most are the Troll, Velocity clone, and the Twisted Messes RDA.

jessejf1991

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
sorry i was just reading and some ppl might get mad who about saying "smoked" when its vaping and its actually steam but ya when i wick i use just enough that when u wick it and pull on it it moves with eas and doesnt pull on the coil out or make it get hot spots

VU Sponsors