Become a Patron!

New to vaping brand new

theisel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey there as the title says I'm new to vaping I found this forum yesterday and came to my final decision to get the pico mega I only got the starter kit as money is a bit of an issue I discovered that the pico is a decent mod starter that I can kind of grow into....

now a bit about me I was in the military(army infantry man) I was originally about 12 a day then once I joined jumped to a pack a day then my deployment came and became a 2pk a day once all was done I got out and the va rated me 100% and can't work so income will not change :( and returned to about a pack a day..I'm in Houston tx 27 and I've now been off and on smoking making a pack last a couple days I only smoke during the week as I can't smoke around my wife....

Now I have looked over the beginners stuff and plan to go over it again as i wasn't able to take it all in my question is is there anything special I need to know I don't have a battery charger not sure where to look or what to get and I'm unsure if there is anything extra I should look at getting
I'm currently with a 15ml bottle with 6mg?? Of nicotine my coil ohms I believe is what it is called is at .27 was supposed to be .3 I went from 25w yesterday to 27 today not sure if I can increase my body still wants more nicotine but after a small period with what I have now I kind of goes away but quickly returns.

I'm literally brand new and learning everything I know now from this forum

Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theisel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not sure how to edit my post but unfortunately I started with vuse and then once I discovered this site yesterday looking for coupons for it I discovered the truth of vuse cigarette company behind it and yes they don't last for a pack not even close for me

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi there Theisel and welcome to VU, Your posts were fine, but to let you know, to edit, look at the bottom of you post and you will see where it says edit , just click on that, Enjoy the forum!!:wave:

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Welcome to the Underground. The Pico is a good starter kit I still love mine. (using it with a Baby Beast)
Here is a good reliable place for batteries and chargers. https://liionwholesale.com/ Jon is a member in good standing and runs an honest company with good customer service. Stick with Sony, Samsung or LG batteries as any others are re-wraps and you never know for sure about there quality.

theisel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Awesome thanks whiskey and angrygod

theisel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Another question which I'm confused and not sure if I need to worry about it yesterday when I got my pico the coil is .3. Then it dropped to.27 and now it's reading.33 what is going on

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to VU!

Those are such tiny variations I doubt there is trouble - as long as you are still enjoying the vape :)

theisel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ya I noticed the difference on one puff it was all burnt and I tried checking everything and made sure everything was secure that's when it went to .33 and has been great so far thank you juicy!

Also I'm looking at getting external 26650 batteries for it but is there any specifics I need to look for when ordering one? And until I get an external charger would anyone happen to know how long it takes to charge it

Last edited:

theisel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
LG HG2 18650 BATTERY GENUINE & TESTED - 20A 3000MAH - FLAT TOP good one? Does a 26650 last longer? Or is the 3000mah what makes the lg on better?

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to the VU! :D

26650 usually has a larger mah as compared to 18650, 26650 is a much heavier battery and takes longer to charge. Whatever you choose stick with genuine Sony, LG and Samsung. Many members use and trust Liion Wholesale for batteries and chargers.
Here>>>>https://liionwholesale.com/

theisel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
New question vaping in the rain....any rules for that I can only think the main rule would be to not let rain fall down to the coil but unsure

11B

The Vape Crusader

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
New question vaping in the rain....any rules for that I can only think the main rule would be to not let rain fall down to the coil but unsure

11B

Hey Thiesel, lemme see if I can address your concerns.

-Don't worry about the 0.27 reading. Yes, your coil is rated to 0.3, but like any other mass produced product, not every single coil is exactly the same. Your device is merely reading the resistance of the coil that's in there... the coil itself doesn't "know" that it's an 0.3. I happen to be running 0.3 coils on two of my devices right now, one is reading at 0.29, and another at 0.28. Not a huge deal. That said, the lower that number is, the more wattage you'd need to accomplish the same result (and vice versa). So if you change the coil and the new one reads 0.35 (for example), you'd need slightly lower wattage.

-As for rain... well it's an electronic device, so protect it like you would a cell phone. if you get water down the center of it... it's not the WORST thing in the world... you might hear a little crackle in your tank, as the coil will essentially "boil" the water in there... but it's not dangerous. I've experienced this by washing my tanks, not completely drying them, and then vaping immediately with a little water residue in there. Not particularly pleasant, but it's not gonna explode on ya :).

-You don't need a battery charger. Nice to have one if you want to charge spare batteries... but your device charges via USB with the battery still in there. That said, it couldn't hurt to try a 26650, because they are bigger batteries that tend to hold higher mAh. And yes, you should be looking at mAh - a 4000 mAh battery by definintion will last longer than a 3000 mAh battery. But 3000 mAh is pretty darn good if you can't afford a new battery right now.

That said - DEFINITELY make sure it's a reputable brand. There are a ton of knockoff 18650 batts out there that claim to hold "5000 mAh," and it's total bullshit. LG, Panasonic, Sony, EFest, Samsung... these are popular names that tend to produce batteries with mAh ratings that are actually accurate :).

At this moment, you really don't need anything extra. Dude, you were a 2-pack smoker... that's a lot. It will take time psychologically to release yourself from the desire for cigarettes. I tell people to start by limiting themselves to (5,10,15 whatever) cigarettes a day, and slowly lower the cig numbers while increasing vaping. Hopefully, you'll be cig free before you know it.

Reply anytime, always here to help!

Murray_B

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
[...] is there anything special I need to know [...]

Hello, Theisel, and thanks for serving.

One thing that is rarely mentioned on vaping forums is that it costs much more to vape low nicotine juice at high power levels than higher nicotine juice at low power. In my experience it was at least ten times more expensive to vape 6 mg/ml at 25 watts than 24 mg/ml at 4 watts. Now I vape only at 8 watts [ practical minimum for my Aspire Nautilus minis] or less. And loving it.

An added benefit of low power vaping is that all serious researchers agree with what was written in a famous letter to the NEJM just over two years ago, "At low voltage (3.3 V) [5.2 W], we did not detect the formation of any formaldehyde-releasing agents [...]." Sadly, this good news was mostly drowned out by the loud and angry shrieking of the power-vaping Flap-jaws.

Unfortunately, as time goes by it is becoming more difficult to buy gear that is rated to operate at low power levels [between 4 and 8 watts]. Most newer gear is made to vape lower nicotine juice at much higher power levels than before. This is confirmed when the researcher, "Jacques le Houezec mentions that there is currently a movement among e-liquid manufacturers and among the vapers, themselves, to reduce nicotine strength. The obvious issue is to get exposed to more toxins but the tobacco expert recalls that the risk is also to relapse into smoking."

See http://www.vapingpost.com/2016/10/07/what-do-scientists-think-konstantinos-farsalinos-at-vapexpo-2016-paris/

As far as cell charging goes there is no reason to buy an external charger. All of the major mod manufacturers use charge controllers from the same family of devices that are also used in the stand-alone chargers. Your Pico will probably use a 6 or 8 pin version of the 40-pin device used in some of the better chargers. All the devices in the same family use the same charge procedure but the larger device can usually charge multiple cells and at higher power levels than the tiny controllers. A few fancy controllers can even balance-charge cells connected in series if there are taps wired between the cells.

One last thought. An important thing to avoid with power cells is touching the cell terminals with your fingers. The acid in your fingerprint will oxidize the metal and metal oxides do not usually conduct electricity very well. If you do contaminate an electrical contact with your fingers then wipe it clean with a lint-free cloth moistened with 99% oil-free isopropyl alcohol or similar solvent. In the old days we used to use a "Pink Pearl" pencil eraser for cleaning electrical contacts but I don't know if those erasers are still available.

Happy vaping.

DevAuto

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Vape Media
Welcome @theisel !

There is a lot of great info in this thread, but I would strongly urge you to get a separate battery charger and NOT charge your battery using the USB port, unless it is an emergency. The reason for this is that it is one of the cheapest components in most mods, and if it fails you will be doubly screwed if you don't have a charger. Not only won't you be able to charge the battery, but you won't be able to use it at all if you don't have another way to charge them. I would recommend either an Efest charger or a Nitecore charger, and at least 2 battery sets so that you can vape on one while charging the other.

With regards to batteries, you will find hundreds of opinions on which batteries are better, but since this is the most critical part of any setup, ensure you stay with good quality batteries. For now, I highly recommend LG, Samsung, or Sony batteries, but even then you have to be careful to get them from a trusted source, otherwise you may end up with counterfeits which are more likely to have catastrophic failures than authentics. As @Angrygod50 said in post #4, Jon is an exceptional supplier for batteries and I can personally attest that if you have questions, he provides great information.

With regards to battery specs, 18650 vs. 26650 is a size rating, mah is effective capacity and amps is effectively the rated power output limits, and it's all important. The lower ohms for your coils the more important the amps are. If you over draw a battery it will aggressively vent. In some cases it happens so quickly that the mod turns into shrapnel like a grenade. As a general rule though, with a regulated mod these types of catastrophic failures are very unusual. Be aware at all times what is going on with your mod so that you can identify when something is not right. If it seems "off", or is suddenly too hot to hold, etc, then immediately stop using it and get the batteries out if you can safely do so, if not then put it as far away as possible, or drop it in a toilet.

HTH!

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Hey there as the title says I'm new to vaping I found this forum yesterday and came to my final decision to get the pico mega I only got the starter kit as money is a bit of an issue I discovered that the pico is a decent mod starter that I can kind of grow into....

now a bit about me I was in the military(army infantry man) I was originally about 12 a day then once I joined jumped to a pack a day then my deployment came and became a 2pk a day once all was done I got out and the va rated me 100% and can't work so income will not change :( and returned to about a pack a day..I'm in Houston tx 27 and I've now been off and on smoking making a pack last a couple days I only smoke during the week as I can't smoke around my wife....

Now I have looked over the beginners stuff and plan to go over it again as i wasn't able to take it all in my question is is there anything special I need to know I don't have a battery charger not sure where to look or what to get and I'm unsure if there is anything extra I should look at getting
I'm currently with a 15ml bottle with 6mg?? Of nicotine my coil ohms I believe is what it is called is at .27 was supposed to be .3 I went from 25w yesterday to 27 today not sure if I can increase my body still wants more nicotine but after a small period with what I have now I kind of goes away but quickly returns.

I'm literally brand new and learning everything I know now from this forum

Thank you in advance

First, for your charger you will probably want a nitecore charger. 2 cell charger is cheaper, 4 cell will save you money later. I recommend the 4 cell. Xtar is even better than nitecore more expensive with a lot of frills you won't ever use. Why pay for something you wont use, right?

I looked up the mod you purchased. Never used one, but I see a lot of people and they like them.
So for 2pk a day, you probably want at least 18mg nicotine ejuice. 24 might be even better, but try a 15ml at 18mg, see how that goes. If it isnt enough, go to a higher mg level. If it is, great!
I started at 18mg 11 months ago, now I vape 3mg in all my attys. (tank and rda)
When you want a smoke, sit down for a 5 minute vape session, just like taking a smoke break, until the urge passes. If you feel queezy, stop vaping for a bit (nic od). Not serious, just a bit unpleasant.
Once you find the nic mg level you like, 30ml, 50, 100 and 120ml bottles of juice are WAYYYYYYY cheaper!

Don't worry about your watts. Set your watts to where you like the taste and cloud and that is your sweet spot. There is a very good reason behind this.. you don't want to burn out your coil. Burnt cotton is... well... image rolling a smoke using a dirty sweat sock as "tobacco".. something you never want to do twice... EVER.

My wife likes to play in my vape cloud.. "oooooooooooo----FLUFFY!!!---giggle giggle) *I think she is having just a little to much fun with it.... but oh well*

Vapor tricks.. like blowing rings and jellyfish are a good way to distract yourself from thinking about cigarettes. I can't blow a ring to save my life, so i did clouds instead. LOL. Its a hobby.

I still have and use the first tank I owned, kanger toptank mini. Got it because I could rebuild the mini rba coil to save money on factory made coils. But coil building is for when you are ready to have a go at it. I made my first coil at around age 5, when i figured out how to straighten a paper clip and wrap it around a nail to make a spring. It isnt hard. LOL. (monkies do it with their tail to grip branches).. how hard could it be?

Make sure you have a change of batteries, so you can swap them out if your battery runs low and a couple extra coils and extra juice (buy more than you need until you know how much you need) Running out at 11pm SUCKS... HARD!

NOTE: NEVER cheap out on your batteries. Use ONLY Samsung, Sony or LG. Even a regulated mod like the one you have can short. These batteries heat up slower than the cheap brands, and will vent out rather than blow up. Your mod has vent holes to allow for this.

RubenAlonzo

Member For 4 Years
Hey man welcome, I myself am new to these forums and an Ex-Navy Corpsman from the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing and here is my two cents. Since you smoked 2 packs a day for a while, try starting out with 12mg nicotine because you are likely going to be puffing often, I smoked Reds and Camels for over 30 years, and its easy to overdo it a bit because unlike tobacco, e-juice comes in truly delicious flavors and you may forget to stop and just keep puffing because you like the flavor so much (I know I did my first day with my SMOK AL85). Buy a battery charger as gbalkam suggested, I bought the Nitecore i2 with a couple of 2500mah 20A 18650 Samsungs and they rock.

Keep us posted on how you get along.

VU Sponsors