Become a Patron!

New Toy

ProlineVaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
Just got this little hybrid Mech mod in the mail today. This is my first Mech ever. I have "basic" knowledge of Ohms Law, but don't know if I am ready. I don't quite understand how to achieve the ideal style of hit that I like. I don't like running hot hits (high wattage) on my regs. Is there a way I can control this with the type of build I use? I will most likely be using a Samsung 25R (20A), but haven't decided on a build yet. Probably will use a premade coil for the first build. Any advice from someone more experienced?

I think I am really going to like this postless deck! First one of those too.
ed53a62c44698b58f5658e87f2e503ec.jpg
296b946697b9f2e5e705159ca4983131.jpg

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well you know enough to ask the right questions and I personally think it is great you have not fired that puppy yet~! Good luck but sorry I can't be of more help maybe someone like @jwill will be kind enough to offer some assistance.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just got this little hybrid Mech mod in the mail today. This is my first Mech ever. I have "basic" knowledge of Ohms Law, but don't know if I am ready. I don't quite understand how to achieve the ideal style of hit that I like. I don't like running hot hits (high wattage) on my regs. Is there a way I can control this with the type of build I use? I will most likely be using a Samsung 25R (20A), but haven't decided on a build yet. Probably will use a premade coil for the first build. Any advice from someone more experienced?

I think I am really going to like this postless deck! First one of those too.
ed53a62c44698b58f5658e87f2e503ec.jpg
296b946697b9f2e5e705159ca4983131.jpg

Welllll...yeah, always put your atty on a regulated mod (or 521 tab) when you build, check the resistance, use ohms law calculator to estimate what resistance will give you the wattage you want

Here's an example from Steam Engine's calculator

0.2 ohm build, I put in 3.8 volts because there is some "voltage drop" when you pull current from a battery, as well as along the path the current takes through the mod

Screenshot_20180530-175248.png

Between 0.2 and 0.3 ohms is nice if you don't want a very strong, hot vape

Remember to use a regulated mod or ohm reader every time you install a coil to check its resistance and discover any shorts, put the cap on the atty and everything when checking for short circuit

Even if you use premade coils - check your ohms

Keep your batteries' wrap in perfect shape - it's also the insulator

ProlineVaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
Welllll...yeah, always put your atty on a regulated mod (or 521 tab) when you build, check the resistance, use ohms law calculator to estimate what resistance will give you the wattage you want

Here's an example from Steam Engine's calculator

0.2 ohm build, I put in 3.8 volts because there is some "voltage drop" when you pull current from a battery, as well as along the path the current takes through the mod

View attachment 112588

Between 0.2 and 0.3 ohms is nice if you don't want a very strong, hot vape

Remember to use a regulated mod or ohm reader every time you install a coil to check its resistance and discover any shorts, put the cap on the atty and everything when checking for short circuit

Even if you use premade coils - check your ohms

Keep your batteries' wrap in perfect shape - it's also the insulator
Would running this .18 be cutting it to close to the battery's 20A rating?Screenshot_20180530-191711.jpeg

ProlineVaper

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
VU Patreon
I'm going to order some better batteries before I start playing around with this thing!

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Would running this .18 be cutting it to close to the battery's 20A rating?View attachment 112589

Remember that you can't set your voltage on mechanicals, it all depends on your battery's charge and a fully charged battery is 4.2 volts

So yes, in that case, 0.18 ohms would probably be over 20amps from a charged battery

That being said, I would not build below 0.3 ohms when I started using mechanicals - then 0.2 was my limit a Year Later. I'm not saying that has to be your limit, too, but be careful, k? Take it easy, practice building and pay attention to the numbers on a regulated mod for a while - numbers like watts, volts, and amps especially, and how they all interact with resistance

Papachaz

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I run .3 to .4 ohm coils on my mechs. Simple claptons or two strand fused clapton. I run mostly Samsung 25r batteries. Check mooches battery list. Great info there on how a specific battery actually performs in the real world.

Carpe Nidor

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
.3 (24g 3.5 ID NI80 coils) is a sweet spot on a single battery tube mod for a nice cool vape that still provides satisfying clouds (IMHO). You can get more coil surface for more cloud by not spacing the coil, and it would still be very satisfactory for flavor on that particular RDTA with that build. You will get a fast ramp, so you don't have to stay on the button and it will cool quickly as well, keeping the mod from getting hot as fast, which your hand could conceive as hot battery.

Since you have some experience vaping take it slow and monitor your usage, since you have no battery indicator you have to feel when the battery is "going limp".Thats what my wife calls it, you can figure the reference. A full charge and warm coil it will hit in a couple of seconds, as it starts draining out you will find yourself having to pump the button a couple of times to get what you want. As you learn the run time you can started dialing down the ohms until it feels good and gives you a reasonable run time.

Ive had pretty good luck with those 25r's, there are better higher amp batteries out there but for a modest build they will server you well as long as you don't push them. if you want to go with low builds you will need some stronger batteries (IMO).

Also when wicking that particular RDTA it seems to like a little bit in the tank, maybe a mm or so fluffed out to make a good seal. You don't have to pack it full to where it gets choked. You are going to like that thing.

As an aside, am I the only person that thinks "RDTA Mod" is weird labeling on that tube? i cant stop looking at it wondering why its there?

VU Sponsors