Become a Patron!

New Vaper, help with coils (Smok R40 TC mod)

Elessdee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Hey everyone, I bought a Smok R40 TC Starter Kit from a local e-vape shop about two months ago. The coil it came with (0.6ohm CLP2 Fused Clapton Dual Core) is still running strong after almost 2 months. I thought that the coil would have burned out by now, since I use it a lot (100 puffs per day average, avg 4-5 second hit @ 25 watts) but the kit also came with a back-up coil (1.2ohm Micro MTL Clapton Core) which I thought was odd because it's COMPLETELY different from the one inside the mod right now.

I looked online for replacements for the .6 ohm CLP2 coil, but I've found very little results matching the EXACT coil in my mod to ones in the picture. Also, the manufacturers website has the coil listed, but there is no "Buy Now" link for it, which I have e-mailed them about. I have also asked one eBay seller who had the coil listed in a drop down menu, but not in the ad itself, if they have this exact coil.

I'm very new to vaping, this is my first mod and my first coil. My question is what coil(s) can I use in my mod without things blowing up or not working? I'm not much of a hardware person, I can barely build my own PC without some help from a friend, but I can easily write code and edit many OS/programs/apps. So if someone could maybe explain a bit about how these coils/atomizers work and what I should be looking for, that would be fantastic. I know different coils provide different effects like bigger clouds or more flavor, but I really don't care that much, because what I'm using right now has got my to quit smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day. I will try the other coil that my mod came with, but I'm just not sure if I should wait until the current one gives out, or if not then how should I store the coil while its not in use?

If you need any other information, about the mod, the juice I use, or anything of the sort, I will be quick to respond. I've googled my heart out for the last 24 hours, and I've gone from "Guess I'm going to have to buy a new mod, because they don't sell the coils" to "Oh I can use any Micro CLP2 Smok Coil and I'll be fine!" and now back to a state of "WTF?"

Sorry for such a long post, I just wanted to get the whole story so you know where I'm coming from, and what I have. Thank you for any help you can provide, I'm going insane over here lol.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
smok_r40_40w_tc_starter_kit_tank_top_fill.jpg

Is this the tank???

Elessdee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That eBay seller is the one that I messaged, as their ad doesn't list the .6 ohm resistance one, however those sites do indeed have the one that I am looking for! So thank you for that!

Can you or anyone explain why I was given two different coils, and also what coils I can use (if not just the two I have)?

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
http://vapenw.com/micro-tfv4-coils-by-smok
$11.89 for 5 x Micro TFV4 Coils
Micro CLP2 (Clapton Dual Coil)
Micro STC2 (Stainless Steel Dual Coil)
Micro R2 RBA (Dual Coil RBA)
They provide different coils for different experiences.
They have no way of knowing what type of vaper is going to buy these.
MTL or DL
So by providing both types, no matter your style of vaping you at least get one coil that suites your needs.
For the Smok Micro TFV4 my preference of coils is the 0.3 Micro CLP2 (Clapton Dual Coil)

Elessdee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
http://vapenw.com/micro-tfv4-coils-by-smok
$11.89 for 5 x Micro TFV4 Coils
Micro CLP2 (Clapton Dual Coil)
Micro STC2 (Stainless Steel Dual Coil)
Micro R2 RBA (Dual Coil RBA)
They provide different coils for different experiences.
They have no way of knowing what type of vaper is going to buy these.
MTL or DL
So by providing both types, no matter your style of vaping you at least get one coil that suites your needs.
For the Smok Micro TFV4 my preference of coils is the 0.3 Micro CLP2 (Clapton Dual Coil)

A lot of people are saying (in the reviews) that these coils don't last long (some people even said they only lasted one day, or only a few days) and I consider myself a heavy vaper, but maybe I'm not...I've went through a bottle and a half (about 45ml) of juice so far on this one CLP2 .6 ohm coil...Guess I need to try the other coil and see what happens...

What does a "burnt" hit taste like? Will it be very obvious for someone who just started?

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On the Smok Micro. The .6 coil only comes on the rebuildable coil head. No idea why that is but you can get them at fasttech.

The reason they give you different coils is so you can try different ones to see what you like best. :)

Yes. A burnt hit will be very noticable. It's nasty.

Elessdee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
On the Smok Micro. The .6 coil only comes on the rebuildable coil head. No idea why that is but you can get them at fasttech.

The reason they give you different coils is so you can try different ones to see what you like best. :)

Yes. A burnt hit will be very noticable. It's nasty.

Thanks :D -- I'm thinking of using the other coil tonight, should I store the other coil in a special way if I plan to use it again (since it's not bad yet)? Like should I put it in a container so it doesn't dry out, or should I run water through it and then store it?

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I usually just set them aside or rinse and set aside. Keep in mind the flavor in there now is what will be in there for the first few hits when you put it back in. If the cotton is black, toss it.

And don't forget to reprime that coil (get it wet with juice) again before you use it. It will dry out.

Elessdee

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I completely forgot about priming the coil, thank you! That wouldn't have been good lol

VU Sponsors