Become a Patron!

New vertical coils for Kangertech Subox

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What's up everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I need some help. My Black Edition Subox arrived a few minutes ago and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the looks of it. Much smaller in size than I expected. I have yet to test it out, but I was wondering if anyone has spotted the new vertical OCC coils for sale anywhere? I purchased my Subox from www.myfreedomsmokes.com but they didn't have any of the new coils for sale.

I'll post my impressions a little later when I test it out, but want to get a head start on purchasing some of the new vertical coils, I've read / seen that they are much better than the old horizontal OCC coils.

As always, thanks for the help!!!

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vertical coils tend to favor cloud chasing... while horizontal coils tend to favor flavor more. So which is better will differ from person to person. Of the coils I've used... I prefer the horizontal ones.

I haven't seen the kanger vertical coils for sale separately yet... but I do hope they carry both. The horizontal coil is going to be much easier to rebuild, IMO. PBusardo takes one apart in his review video if you want a closer look

KillaB3E

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks @rdsok, I've been rebuilding the horizontal coils for some time now. I'll be curious to see how our fellow vapers go about rebuilding the vertical coils.

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've not seen any vertical coils (factory) for the SubTank line yet but I'll see if I can get any word on it from Kangertech. I think it'll be a challenge to get a good vertical build in the form factor their coils use.

What's up everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I need some help. My Black Edition Subox arrived a few minutes ago and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the looks of it. Much smaller in size than I expected. I have yet to test it out, but I was wondering if anyone has spotted the new vertical OCC coils for sale anywhere? I purchased my Subox from www.myfreedomsmokes.com but they didn't have any of the new coils for sale.

I'll post my impressions a little later when I test it out, but want to get a head start on purchasing some of the new vertical coils, I've read / seen that they are much better than the old horizontal OCC coils.

As always, thanks for the help!!!

Hey there, we live in GA. and were able to purchase the vert coils at a place called VaporRite. here's the link to their site. ;) https://www.vaperite.com/ the ones online don't specify if they are H or V but I'm sure you could call them to request the V's.

PickNic Basket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I didn't like them. I prefer the horizontals for pre-built, but I'm usually using the RBA or an RDA now anyway. Some people love the verticals. Give 'em a try.

MooseMan

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I didn't like them. I prefer the horizontals for pre-built, but I'm usually using the RBA or an RDA now anyway. Some people love the verticals. Give 'em a try.

Can I ask why you don't like the verticals? I just got a Subtank Mini and it came with the verticals. I've only used the pre-built 1.2 head and am getting good vapor but no flavor. Kinda frustrated.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In my opinion the only occ's worth a crap are the low ohm ones. The higher ohm heads use thinner wire which just doesn't provide enough surface area to allow the subtank to perform properly if you're lung hitting the thing. Maybe they're ok for mouth to lunging, but I think the subtank is a shitty mouth to lung device anyway. If you're flowing a decent amount of air through it, try the .5 head.

PickNic Basket

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Can I ask why you don't like the verticals? I just got a Subtank Mini and it came with the verticals. I've only used the pre-built 1.2 head and am getting good vapor but no flavor. Kinda frustrated.

I found the flavor was weak, the vapor production was weak, and they didn't wick well.
But maybe that's just me.

chuck.finley

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The horizontal ones spit like crazy and burn above 25 watts. With me atleast. I dislike them.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They sounded like a rocket launcher, or I was in an epic lightsaber battle...wasn't a fan for a few other reasons. I can make my own lightsaber noises kanger, thank you :)

My first and only is subox mini and so far I like the way it vapes. I'm VERY NEW all of vaping and mods. So I know jack shit about it. I have the standard .5 coil in it running it at usually 25-30 watts. Should I do anything different? I've been doing fruity flavors with a splash of menthol in it. I need all kinda of advice about anything to do with vaping lol

Joshua Iles

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If your settings are working good for u then if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't have any experience with that tank, but I do know that there are so many choices in eliquid that u can play around and find what u like, it's all personal preference.

I thought about using the rba that's included. But I know nothing about it. Is it just like the .5 coils? What do I have to do with the Japanese cotton? Like I said I'm completely new to this lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got the STM for my sister to use on her Provari with a box of the new 1.5 vertical coils.. She liked the 1.2 ohm horizontal coils more because of better airflow..and she's right..small ID of the vertical coil causes tighter airflow than the wide open horizontal coil..
Anyway, I had to get her a box of the horizontal coils, after all she's my sister and I want her to be vape happy, lol
c0b61f7c37fe3374f8661081cbd65363.jpg

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My first and only is subox mini and so far I like the way it vapes. I'm VERY NEW all of vaping and mods. So I know jack shit about it. I have the standard .5 coil in it running it at usually 25-30 watts. Should I do anything different? I've been doing fruity flavors with a splash of menthol in it. I need all kinda of advice about anything to do with vaping lol
If you have the vertical .5 ohm coil heads, they can handle more power than the old horizontal heads. My ex wife has a subox kit and runs hers with the air wide open and the mod at the max watt setting with no issues using a .5 vertical occ coil head. You might want to experiment with continuing to turn the power up until it's obvious you've gone too far or you max it out just to see how it vapes at higher power. If you haven't already of course. My fruity with a touch of menthol juice that I make tastes a whole lot better when the vapor is nice and warm. As the heat falls off, so does the flavor. Pretty dramatically actually. Knowing how a particular setup performs across the entire range from obviously too little power to obviously too much really helps you become familiar with it's performance range and find the point within that range you like best.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got the STM for my sister to use on her Provari with a box of the new 1.5 vertical coils.. She liked the 1.2 ohm horizontal coils more because of better airflow..and she's right..small ID of the vertical coil causes tighter airflow than the wide open horizontal coil..
Anyway, I had to get her a box of the horizontal coils, after all she's my sister and I want her to be vape happy, lol
c0b61f7c37fe3374f8661081cbd65363.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the .5 vertical has much more airflow than the higher ohm vertical. Certainly the higher ohm head is what you need for use with a 20w mod, just wanted to point out that the resistance and wire gauge used is different between the two types of vertical occ's, but so is the airflow. Someone that has both could verify, but I'm almost certain the coil diameter is significantly different between the two.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I'm not mistaken, the .5 vertical has much more airflow than the higher ohm vertical. Certainly the higher ohm head is what you need for use with a 20w mod, just wanted to point out that the resistance and wire gauge used is different between the two types of vertical occ's, but so is the airflow. Someone that has both could verify, but I'm almost certain the coil diameter is significantly different between the two.
Yeah your right...but my sister can't sub ohm on her low powered Provari V2.
She has stay above 1.0 or .9 ohm..so she prefers the 1.2 horz vs the 1.5 vert coil...my sister is still new to vaping and likes to tootle puff. ..over 4.3v the Provari errors out but its good enough for her, least for now...

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah your right...but my sister can't sub ohm on her low powered Provari V2.
She has stay above 1.0 or .9 ohm..so she prefers the 1.2 horz vs the 1.5 vert coil...my sister is still new to vaping and likes to tootle puff. ..over 4.3v the Provari errors out but its good enough for her, least for now...

Oh yeah, I got you. I know you know what you're doing. I was just trying to point out a few details about some of the differences between various occ's for others that might be reading this stuff. Hell, I get confused. I mean how many different occ's are there now? 5? More? I don't even know. The ridiculous number of tanks and coil heads out now almost makes rebuilding seem more simple.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I recently bought the Ni200 coils - they turned out to be vertical. Only problem with these is that if I don't lung hit they gurgle. Usually I use the RBA, and I alternate mtl with lung hits. But these vertical coils don't behave well with mtl:eek:

monstamat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
got the subox mini in black 16 days ago. started with the .5ohm coil and haven't had to replace it yet. it has the vertical coil and ive been vaping 70/30vg with no issues at 25 watts. went back to a 50/50 mix and still have no issues. im just wondering if anyone else has had the same expirence.

kwtony

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got bored and boiled my coils today....cleared them right up. Changed the water about 6 times, and kept stirring them.

BE08411E-839B-4489-A943-8264D795DDBE-30328-0000093791C77EB6_zpsx3giih6n.jpg

Cloudbursting

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have to say, the verticals are an improvement but not perfect.

They absolutely handle more power. The old ones really taste like burny rubber or scorchy cotton anove 30 watts; the new ones do take some time to break in to not do this, but once you use them at 30 for a minute, they go to 40 no problem.

Thing is, these coils spit like mad (as do any of these types of coils), and I personally have to cut back the airflow just a tad to get it to stop. They spit horribly. Kanger needs to invent some way to stop this as it can just ruin the vape.

In terms of flavor, I'm getting exactly the same, if not a hair better, especially because these do not taste funky upon startup in the least. I personally like them better but something needs to be done about the spitting. I also think that if the cotton was wound a hair lighter that you could really push these higher.

VU Sponsors