Become a Patron!

New Warning on Chantix

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety...ivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

<<<
FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA updates label for stop smoking drug Chantix (varenicline) to include potential alcohol interaction, rare risk of seizures, and studies of side effects on mood, behavior, or thinking>>>

There is more on this, at the link I provided. Please share this with all of your friends that still smoke.

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I took it once, and it didn't bother me, nor my friend. But it gave her husband weird nightmares. I just posted this in here, because I wasn't sure where it should go. But I thought people would want to know this regardless.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tried Chantix twice to quit. It worked in the sense that while I was on it I didn't want to smoke but when I was off of it for a week or so the cravings came back worse than ever. Plus I had horrible vivid nightmares the entire time I was taking it. Would never, ever recommend it to anyone.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unfortunately vivid dreams and/or nightmares are a side effect of most smoking cessation products. The two weeks I was on the patch (quit smoking attempt #3), I had very strange, disturbing, vivid dreams but one of my friends tried them and had night terrors. His wife woke him out of a cold, screaming sweat one night while standing at the edge of their bedroom balcony. He stopped using them after that.....:eek:
I was trying to get in to a clinic to get Chantix that I could afford - a ludicrous idea - when I decided to start vaping. I definitely made the right choice. ;)

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Unfortunately vivid dreams and/or nightmares are a side effect of most smoking cessation products. The two weeks I was on the patch (quit smoking attempt #3), I had very strange, disturbing, vivid dreams but one of my friends tried them and had night terrors. His wife woke him out of a cold, screaming sweat one night while standing at the edge of their bedroom balcony. He stopped using them after that.....:eek:
I was trying to get in to a clinic to get Chantix that I could afford - a ludicrous idea - when I decided to start vaping. I definitely made the right choice. ;)

Yeah I had tried nicotine patches and gums before chantix and got some minor nightmares once or twice but I swear the shit that I saw while on Chantix left permanent scars. I would wake up and not be able to go back to sleep and I am not a person who is easily scared.

The VA was handing out chantix like candy to me and all my buddies. I don't have PTSD but I knew guys who had PTSD, were taking anti-depressants and shit and still getting prescribed chantix. A couple of them did some reeeeeeeeeally stupid stuff while they were on it, I won't go into details but at least one of them was dishonorably discharged for things he did while taking chantix that he still can't explain. It's bad.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow....I'm glad I didn't get into the clinic, for sure....I was diagnosed with PTSD right after my second husband died five years ago, so it's probably in my best interests that things worked out like they did.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
That crap depressed the heck out of me and the Mrs. ended up flushing it.

I really liked this part............

" In clinical trials, Chantix increased the likelihood of quitting smoking and “staying quit” for as long as 1 year compared to treatment with a placebo, an inactive treatment."

Vaping does one heck of a lot better than that crap!

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
You watch the tv ads and that list of possible Chantix complications just goes on and on and on. It sounds like a parody!

How disgusting that the medical establishment endorses a drug with these possible side effects, yet (far too many) refuse to endorse vaping. The almighty dollar is long-reaching, and neither the gov't nor big pharma (nor insurance companies!) will prioritize your actual HEALTH above the kind of $$$ this crap generates for them.

All the more reason to publicize the benefits, cost-savings, and safety (relative to this crap, for sure!) of vaping. Keep it visible. Especially vape around smokers - they'll often ask questions. Many WANT to quit. They just don't want an unscheduled psychotic break as a result.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
YES!! I started a new job on Tuesday and already have FOUR people wanting me to help them start vaping! I have a friend who already worked there and I set her up over a month ago and am now making her juices by requested flavor and they're trying my stuff and hers ( I have to carry tip covers now....haha!) and really starting to think about it. That thrills me!!

Kkay

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow, it seems trouble with this is more frequent than I had imagined. Some of the comments here surprised me. My friend's husband had terrible dreams with it, and it scared him. I guess that is the least of your worries. It does help many quit though. But, I think that vaping is the way to stop smoking. That is just my personal opinion. Since I started vaping, I haven't smoked one cigarette. I quit smoking the end of October.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You watch the tv ads and that list of possible Chantix complications just goes on and on and on. It sounds like a parody!
[...]

Yes, but if you watch TV or read the local rag in my area, they keep repeating that studies show vaping is even more dangerous. So, the choice for the general, unknowing public is either suicide by Chantix or addiction+cancer+psychosis+TB+Ebola+Spanish flu+whatnot by vaping. Hmm, the agony of choice...

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Yes, but if you watch TV or read the local rag in my area, they keep repeating that studies show vaping is even more dangerous. So, the choice for the general, unknowing public is either suicide by Chantix or addiction+cancer+psychosis+TB+Ebola+Spanish flu+whatnot by vaping. Hmm, the agony of choice...

If they could find a way to control the supply of ecig materials and tax the crap out of every aspect, suddenly it would be touted as the safe, new, approved alternative. As long as profits are not in their pocket, vaping will be demonized. It's unconscionable but certainly not the only example of $$ controlling health care.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used that crap for a few months, I had hallucinations, Dinosaurs were fighting in my back yard. Scared the shit out of me.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never seen studies that said anything about vaping being dangerous...truth is they don't have anything to back up that statement, vaping is still relatively new....but I did try Chantix from the VA..It not only make me have vivid dreams but exceptionally bitchy and violent as well....got into a fight after taking it at a bar and wound up going to jail facing aggravated assault charges...Vaping makes me feel good all over when that sought after nicotine buzz takes effect, and with no side effects other than my juice never tasted so good...Chantix Sucks!!

sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never seen studies that said anything about vaping being dangerous...

Me neither. That doesn't prevent the media from interpreting results and carrying on their disinformation campaign though...

bwent

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
o'god the dreams man, the dreams!!!!!!!

DarthVaper419

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I too tried chantix (and the patch and gum and cold turkey) and it caused me to have these nightmares that were so so realistic I wouldwake up and not really know if I was asleep or awake and in danger etc etc. awful stuff

wasteyrself

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Chantix is in the same fucked up class of drugs as I am a spammer ban me where otherwise normal and healthy people start taking it and then out of the blue they shoot themselves in their car or do something really fucked up to someone else, I think it's really dangerous.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If they could find a way to control the supply of ecig materials and tax the crap out of every aspect, suddenly it would be touted as the safe, new, approved alternative. As long as profits are not in their pocket, vaping will be demonized. It's unconscionable but certainly not the only example of $$ controlling health care.
Exactly. Untaxed booze, beer, and wine is a health hazard because it is untaxed. In the future, I see tax grabs at nicotine bases and the devices themselves, but it will be difficult to tax a flashlight tube with an old style audio connector (510). Either way, the tax man cometh soon. That's one of the reasons why I DIY.

Larry J

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
"Exactly. Untaxed booze, beer, and wine is a health hazard because it is untaxed. In the future, I see tax grabs at nicotine bases and the devices themselves, but it will be difficult to tax a flashlight tube with an old style audio connector (510). Either way, the tax man cometh soon. That's one of the reasons why I DIY."

Booze, beer and wince are ALL taxed, and pretty heavily. At some point the nicotine we buy for DIY and the juices that contain nicotine WILL be taxed. Be prepared.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
"Exactly. Untaxed booze, beer, and wine is a health hazard because it is untaxed. In the future, I see tax grabs at nicotine bases and the devices themselves, but it will be difficult to tax a flashlight tube with an old style audio connector (510). Either way, the tax man cometh soon. That's one of the reasons why I DIY."

Booze, beer and wince are ALL taxed, and pretty heavily. At some point the nicotine we buy for DIY and the juices that contain nicotine WILL be taxed. Be prepared.
Yep, Booze is heavily taxed, but any booze that isn't is considered to be a health hazard. Hence my comparison to vaping gear and ejuice. Once the government gets its tentacles around vaping supplies, it will suddenly be a better alternative to smoking as HIC postulated.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Yep.....that's why I'm buying a small bottle of nicotine every week. Good thing we have an extra freezer. ;)

Number3124

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've tried it once (quite smoking attempt #4). Let's just say, after reading this thread, I'm glad it just acted like knockoff LSD for me. If I want to trip, I can think of safer ways.

Anyway, it didn't work at all for me, and I flushed it after a week of tripping at least once a day without warning.

Attempt #1 was will power after two years of smoking at 1.5 packs a day. Lasted three days.

Attempt #2 was gums and lozenges. No nightmares or anything for me, but this was after I fail attempt #1 and shot up to 2 packs a day. It made me nauseated and gave me a sore throat. I quite that after 5 days.

Attempt #3 was patches. They gave me a horrible rash on the application site after three days of use, and I gave up after a week.

Attempt #5 was my first attempt at vaping. I had an nJoy that I used for a couple of days before I just couldn't stand it anymore.

So, this is attempt six, and so far, with some, mild bumps (like after a really rough day at work, I'll have to bum one off of a co-worker) it's been a whole lot more successful than anything else, especially Chantix.

The bad thing about Chantix is that it didn't even stop me from wanting to smoke. I still had cravings just like normal. Any gains I made were from trying to work with it. It didn't help that I had dancing, rainbow stripped zebras doing a barber shop quartet behind my car once.

Zamazam

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It didn't help that I had dancing, rainbow stripped zebras doing a barber shop quartet behind my car once.

At least you didn't have a Tyrannosaurus Rex and a Triceratops in a MMA Cage match in your back yard. When I used the patch, I got contact dermatitis, my entire arm swelled up. That Chantix crap is just plain bad medicine. With all the bad side effects like tripping and hallucinations, you'd think they would have pulled that shit by now.

VU Sponsors