Become a Patron!

Newbie and wondering what to get

afternoon guys n girls,

Am a newbie to Vaping so to speak had a play with a few realistic looking ecig's and a few variable voltage pen like cig's but neither do any justice for me, I have been looking down the mod box route with tc and vv/vw as eventually I would like to be able to make my own coils. Any and all info and suggestions would be great

Cheers
Jammo

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU, Jammo, glad you signed up and congrats on finding vaping, Our members will be along with suggestions for you, in the mean time , have a look around the forum for some great info and ideas:)

MASSIVE

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Can't say enough about the eVic VTC Mini... Everything you're looking for plus on-board charging (not the most efficient way, but it doesn't hurt to have it). First one I've had that made me want another just like it. Small, lightweight, firmware upgrades...

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Welcome to VU!
Ditto on the Evic VTC Mini. With upgraded Firmware (currently V3.0), you'll have a 75W mod, and additional features. As far as I know, it also comes as a kit (w/ a tank included). IMO, best bang for the buck.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What kind of budget do you have to spend on a complete set up?

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I agree with others on the Joytech Evic Mini. I love mine and carry it with me when I am on the go. I have the Cubis tank on it and due to the new software update it is extremely simple to use. I think you can buy the two together as a kit. This setup will give you an idea of whether you think a box mod is the answer without costing you a lot of money. I am sure you might be able to find something cheaper but the Evic Mini is a great device for the money. If you are determined to spend more money or need more battery life, take a look at the DNA 200 devices. They are the best temp control devices out there in my opinion and they are fully customizable to your vaping needs. I have the HCigar VT133, VT200 x2, and the Reuleaux DNA 200. There are also other DNA 200 devices that are really nice. It basically just depends on how much you want to spend. For an inexpensive quality Temp Control device the Evic Mini is hard to beat.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm guessing you mouth to lung. Don't let anyone talk you into getting an atomizer designed for direct lung hitting. You need something designed to be used the way you're gonna use it.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, @BoomStick has a valid question. Are you looking for mouth to lung (more like smoking) or an easy breath in direct to lungs? This will have an influence on the atomizer (to a degree). I agree totally with the recommendation of the eVic VTC Mini as a single battery 75 watt mod with TC. What amount of use will you be giving it? What is your expectation for battery life? Do you have any size limitations? For a single cell Mod I don't think you could go wrong with the eVic VTC Mini. If you want to go with a two cell Mod I would suggest a Cuboid. For a three cell Mod I would suggest the Wismec Reuleaux RX200. The previously mentioned Mods are reasonably priced and have a ton of capability. Batteries/cells I would go with 2,500 mAh Samsung 25r5s. Atomizer, well that is where you will need to provide more information.With you indicating that you would eventually like to build I would select one that comes with a RBA section. You may want to consider the Kangertech (Kanger) Subtank Plus if you want to have a lot of e-juice capacity. The Kanger Subtank line has adjustable air flow so you could choke it down, run higher ohm coils, and do mouth to lung or open it up and do direct lung with lower ohm coils. Replacement coils can be found rather inexpensively for a 5-pack. You can also get Ni200 replacement coils and Clapton replacement coils. I would have a tendency to go for the Plus so you would have a good sized RBA deck (although it isn't large) for you to start building on when you get other things like an ohm meter and the like. I would save going for a DNA200 device until you have time to get experience under your belt as well as you need to interface it with a computer with Escribe software on it to take full advantage of that type of Mod.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
See. A sub ohm tank recommendation. Taking a big chamber, big air atty and trying to make it mtl well results in shit performance. You might think the adjustable airflow and custom coils would allow it to work well for mtl, but if you try it you see it sucks. Telling mtl'ers to get a dl atty is the number one piece of terrible advice commonly given on here.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Actually I was thinking a Nautilus would be a good starting point but without more information it is difficult to make a good recommendation. I have friends that started with a Kanger mini kit and love it with the 1.2 ohm coil. So if you want to blast away after I started out with saying "Well, @BoomStick has a valid question. Are you looking for mouth to lung (more like smoking) or an easy breath in direct to lungs? This will have an influence on the atomizer (to a degree)" then go for it. I suggest you look at the post in it's entirety!

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I read the whole thing. You suggested a sub ohm tank for mtl use. I think that's terrible advice. A nautilus is a great suggestion, but the rba for it is a joke and OP wants to build. And I wasn't blasting away. Just strongly disagreeing. I participated in this thread because I knew sub tank recommendations would come. Didn't take long. My opinion has been expressed. Have a nice day.

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I agree, the Nautilus RBA that can be purchased for it is less than what I like. OK... so what is your suggestion? Personally I think the OP would be best served if they were to get with some friends that have a variety of atomizers or a shop that has atomizers the OP can try to see if they can find something that fits what they are looking for.

IMO they will need to eventually get multiple atomizers to satisfy all of the areas with optimum performance in each area. For example MTL-Nautilus, Nautilus Mini, Triton Mini (have not tried but has great potential and I plan on purchasing); MTL: RTA-Kayfun Lite; DL: Sub-Tank-too many to choose from but Uwell Crown is a leader but RBA has to be purchased separately, I am personally using a FreeMax Scylla and Kanger Subtank on a regular basis; RTA-Geek Vapes Griffin, Aromamizer, or Bellus (all are good); RDA-again, there are a lot out there but Velocity comes to mind for ease of build and inexpensive quality clones are available.

I started my vaping journey 15 months ago and I still have a Nautilus and Kayfun Lite Plus clone (with modified air flows) for MTL.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm guessing you mouth to lung. Don't let anyone talk you into getting an atomizer designed for direct lung hitting. You need something designed to be used the way you're gonna use it.
I was thinking the same about the OP being a MTL hitter. However, I remember seeing a review of the VTC Mini kit. In this review the guy tested, whether the included tank was good for MTL closing the airflow control. He did say it was good for that. As a DL tank, he mentioned the airflow is slightly restricted, compared to the Crown.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was thinking the same about the OP being a MTL hitter. However, I remember seeing a review of the VTC Mini kit. In this review the guy tested, whether the included tank was good for MTL closing the airflow control. He did say it was good for that. As a DL tank, he mentioned the airflow is slightly restricted, compared to the Crown.
Sounds like something that does both ok, but neither very well. I've yet to see an atty that does both really well. Since there are so many options for cheap, I don't know why someone would want or recommend a versatile device that provides sub par performance or worse, a device meant to be used in a manner different than how the user is going to use it. One capable mod, a good mtl atty and a good dl atty cover it all without sacrificing quality of vape. My view anyway. Others can recommend mediocrity or worse if they want.

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Welcome to VU. Been here only couple of months. There is way too much info on here for us newbies which is a good thing but also a hinderance at times lol. Best advice I can give you man is to take it slow. First learn how you like to vape. MTL or DL. Figure out all those words these guys throw out and are accustomed to using in which we have no ******* clue what they are saying. Plenty of links to videos to watch if reading isn't your bag. Don't get discouraged with some of those grumps that post their language may be offsetting at time but they really do care some of them at least. Last but not least, just because someone gives you advice you don't have to take it. Still on you man. Heed the advice but make up your own mind. Welcome to the world of vaping make it into what you want and you will not regret what you chose.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i quit on a sub ohm tank with direct lung hits and 12mg juice. it took a day or so to get used to 'smoking' differently, but it worked great for me. i had a pen style mtl setup as backup if something happened to my sub ohm setup, and one day i had to rely on it for the whole day and it didnt work at all. i almost bought smokes. completely useless for me. everyone is different.

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would actually recommend going to a local shop if you have one. They can show you what you need to get started, as well as options depending on your budget and goals. You will pay a little more by not going online, but It is nice seeing everything in the flesh the first time, and they can show you pros and/ or cons of different setups. You can also try a bunch of different juices to see what you like. The guys at my local shop set me up for what I needed initially, but also made sure it was something I could grow into if I ever decided to try other options. I'm glad they did, it wasn't long before I started playing with coil rebuilding and dripping.

Welcome aboard!!

thedogofdoom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Kbox's are pretty awesome for newbies. But I agree with @Flightmedic76 . Go to a local vape store and buy it there. Tell them what you want, and they'll show you what it is, how much it costs, and how to use/fill it. Pay attention when they show you how to prime the coils (put little drops of juice on them so they don't burn your throat on the first hit).

Skullzz

Blonde disaster
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello and welcome...I am relatively new myself. I tried the pen types and hated them. I picked up a Joyetech eVic VTC mini and love it. I would go with a different tank than what the set up comes with though. I put a Herakles on mine...works great.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What I'm seeing if you want to get into coil building, you'll want an RDA. One currently seeming to be the rave is the Velocity rda. You can get affordable Velocity clones that from reviews seem on par with authentic. As a bonus the Velocity and the mini of it can use a bottom feed pin if you decide on trying squonking.

haleysdadda

AKA BILL
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Wow! Talk about getting loaded down with info! My head is spinning & I know what they're talking about! My first gear after I got off the eGos was a Subtank Mini on a 30w vv/vw box mod! IMHO any of the Kanger suboxes would be the place to look & read or watch reviews of! I also prefer mods with interchangable batteries because it's alot easier because you can carry spare batteries & don't have to wait for the mod to charge! Also since you are new to vaping it would be best if you stayed away from mechanical mods until you have alot more experience building coils and know about battery safety! Vape safe!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
afternoon guys n girls,

Am a newbie to Vaping so to speak had a play with a few realistic looking ecig's and a few variable voltage pen like cig's but neither do any justice for me, I have been looking down the mod box route with tc and vv/vw as eventually I would like to be able to make my own coils. Any and all info and suggestions would be great

Cheers
Jammo

Really, if you want to get off on the right foot, get yourself a nice Istick (40W is plenty to begin with) and a nautilus tank. Then, look around here, youtube, etc. for the type of RBA you'd like. There is a learning curve most folks have to overcome before successfully building.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Really, if you want to get off on the right foot, get yourself a nice Istick (40W is plenty to begin with) and a nautilus tank. Then, look around here, youtube, etc. for the type of RBA you'd like. There is a learning curve most folks have to overcome before successfully building.

AGREE 100%
after much research and personal recommendation that is what I got the iStick TC40W and a Nautilus Mini

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
A great starter setup and one that I recommend for anyone just quitting cigs would be an Eleaf Istick and a Nautilus mini tank. You could go with an Istick30w or even the newer Istick Pico for under 30 bucks and the tank is under 30 as well. The Nautilus mini is still probably the best flavor mouth to lung tank on the market. This will be a great starter for you until you decide to move on the RBA.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
A great starter setup and one that I recommend for anyone just quitting cigs would be an Eleaf Istick and a Nautilus mini tank. You could go with an Istick30w or even the newer Istick Pico for under 30 bucks and the tank is under 30 as well. The Nautilus mini is still probably the best flavor mouth to lung tank on the market. This will be a great starter for you until you decide to move on the RBA.

/\ Agreed. Best investment I made in vaping.So happy with the Nautilus Mini bought a second 2 days later for flavors

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
/\ Agreed. Best investment I made in vaping.So happy with the Nautilus Mini bought a second 2 days later for flavors
Oh you did end up getting the Nautilus mini. Its amazing huh? I rebuild and subohm vape mostly but I always have a mini loaded up within reach. Glad you are enjoying your vape now!!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yes, I had recommendations from forum members on the other shit hole forum and the guy at the Vape Shop. I was looking into the rebuild-able deck for the Mini but decided against it after reading up and hearing first hand reviews. I wanted a RBA for my DIY testing but right now just buying coils. Online they are like $11 buck and shipping will be $6 or more so i buy them for $18 at the vape shop tax included.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Since I started DIY I now have 12 30ML bottles to the right of me and one tank is tobacco the other is flavors. I have some fruits that I do straight or do a tank mix to fit my taste at the time.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
After shipping I do not save. I found them for 10 bucks and after shipping it doesn't pay. I have 7 in stock right now. Ever bought from there? If it is free shipping hell then I will order 10 but I doubt it. Appreciate you trying to save me money!

:vapemail:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I also may be going to a dripper for testing my DIY mixes but I do not want to test with something that is a major Cumulus Cloud maker because it will not be the same as my every day tanks so why test with something that produces a different taste?

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
After shipping I do not save. I found them for 10 bucks and after shipping it doesn't pay. I have 7 in stock right now. Ever bought from there? If it is free shipping hell then I will order 10 but I doubt it. Appreciate you trying to save me money!
They are 9.95 and 3 bucks for shipping and yes I have used Sweetvapes many times. SHipping is fast and customer service is great!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So that is $13 and that would be a savings but how long to ship? Now you have me curious and will have investigate further I do have a set in my cart if i could get 2 sets for $23 that is a significant savings. but I am too tired and my hands are killing me from the work I was doing this afternoon.

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
So that is $13 and that would be a savings but how long to ship? Now you have me curious and will have investigate further I do have a set in my cart if i could get 2 sets for $23 that is a significant savings. but I am too tired and my hands are killing me from the work I was doing this afternoon.
They usually ship same day before 2pm takes 2 or 3 days tops. I must've ordered about 20 packs from them over the time I had my Nautilus mini.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Is it still $3 shipping when you order 2 packs? Or is it shipping and handling? When I found them for $10.95 I went to order them and it was $6 and change for shipping so I said screw that. But if what you say is true to ship to New york then I wil definitely be ordering a couple of packs for sure.

I use the 1.8 Ohm and they have 1.6 Ohm. Which do you use?

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Is it still $3 shipping when you order 2 packs? Or is it shipping and handling? When I found them for $10.95 I went to order them and it was $6 and change for shipping so I said screw that. But if what you say is true to ship to New york then I wil definitely be ordering a couple of packs for sure.

I use the 1.8 Ohm and they have 1.6 Ohm. Which do you use?
I have always used the 1.8 coils unless they were out of stock and only had the 1.6, Honestly there isnt enough difference between them to even notice it. And no.. its $3 whether you buy 1 pack or 50

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I was not happy with the Nautilus until I put the Triton Mini coil in. The first one, a 1.8 Clapton, is still good nearly 4 weeks later. I will also try the 1.2.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So what it the difference of the Tritons? I just bought a package of 1.8 Ohm BVC Atomizers but I can go thru a shitload with DIY at times.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The Triton Mini coils have in my opinion, better flavor, more and denser Vapor, and you can vape the hell out of them without burning them out. I also don't get flooding or leaking with them. They are not hard to find, and cost difference is minor.

These are not the same as regular Triton or Triton 2 tank coils, which are much larger and fit the Atlantis compatible tanks like Herakles, Starre, and others.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Triton Mini coils have in my opinion, better flavor, more and denser Vapor, and you can vape the hell out of them without burning them out. I also don't get flooding or leaking with them. They are not hard to find, and cost difference is minor.

These are not the same as regular Triton or Triton 2 tank coils, which are much larger and fit the Atlantis compatible tanks like Herakles, Starre, and others.

I will look into them maybe from the seller Vapin 4 Real supplied. I have 7 or 8 in stock right now but with the volume of e-Liquids I am pounding through these days because of DIY might be a good idea to stock up some more. With my 2 Nautilus Minis I have never had a leak only get e-Liquid on my hands when I refill.

:ejuice::cloud::ejuice::cloud::ejuice::cloud::ejuice::cloud::ejuice::cloud::ejuice:

Last edited:

Vapin_4_Real

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I will look into them maybe from the seller Vapin 4 Real supplied. I have 7 or 8 in stock right now but with the volume of e-Liquids I am pounded through these days because of DIY might be a good idea to stock up some more. With my 2 Nautilus Minis I have never had a leak only get e-Liquid on my hands when I refill.
Yea you will prolly blow thru some coils doin all that testing. I usually got at least a good solid week out of mine.. sometimes 2. What ratio are you mixing your juices at? Higher VG will be doom on those coils but a 50/50 would be ok. And I just ordered a few things from Sweetvapes friday and it will be here Monday. Recommend them for anything you may need.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My DIY is mostly 70/30 or 80/20 VG/PG but not having problems with my own stuff. The store bought stuff fries coils at 80/20 because I am assuming they use sweeteners. On my Tobacco I got a month on one

VU Sponsors