Become a Patron!

Newbie needs advice on Nic PG or VG

SpaceCadet

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've been vaping for 2.5 years but only mix occasionally with mixed results. I don't know much but I'm sick of wasting money on juices I don't like so wanna start DIY.
For starters I plan to get 36mg PG Nic. But I read few times that VG Nic is better for newbies, why would that be? I think PG mixes better and last longer stored but really not sure.
Any other real basics advice on the starting is welcome. Just reading the forums, everyone say something else and that's confusing. Thanks

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I think it mostly depends on your PG tolerance, as a lot of people can't vape any PG, so they use VG nic to keep the PG to a minimum.
PG nic will store longer, and flavors tend to meld in with PG faster than VG IMO.
I normally run 70/30VG, as I don't have any issues with vaping PG.
Some even vape without any flavoring, and it's still cheaper than buying pre-mixed.
Try some FA flavorings, it doesn't take as much as some of the others to flavor your juice.
VZ-SC are also quite potent, and some are even alcohol based.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I second getting nic in PG, not VG - VG is very thick and can be harder to work with. I think the only people who get nic in VG are those who vape mostly VG or avoid PG altogether!

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I know DIY can be confusing because everyone has different preferences. If you like PG in your juice than PG Nic is a good way to go. DIY is totally trial and error. Some simple advice would be to start with very small batches (5-6ml) until you find the pg/vg/flavor ratio you like best.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It will have to be trial and error as per your taste preferences....Pg carries flavors more and VG makes clouds more. I only vape 50/50 blends myself, I can handle both pg and vg just fine. I have noticed that cloudchasers prefer the vg max stuff, and those looking for throat hit like max PG....its all subjective to taste and preference. Don't worry, we have some really good DIY folks here that will help you along your way, I suggest even sending a message to @HeadInClouds , he puts up great DIY recipes and lots of info here, seams to be a really good member here.

Bold Vapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@SpaceCadet, Welcome to VU and keep us up to date on your DIY progress, I'll continue buying my juice as long as it's available. I can't help but think that the writing is on the wall for the vaping community and someday we'll all be DIY.
Not sure if this is a viable source for supplies and is offered FWIW
https://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/c-110-accessories.aspx

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
But I read few times that VG Nic is better for newbies, why would that be? I think PG mixes better and last longer stored but really not sure.

Neither VG nor PG nic is "better" for noobs or anyone else. Honestly, it's just personal preference, unless you have some allergy or sensitivity to one or the other. You've been vaping store-bought for a while, so you'd know if that were the case.

You said you'd be buying 36 mg/ml nic strength. Will you be diluting that, or is 36 your target? If you'll be diluting it anyway, I'd get PG-based nic for one reason: it's thinner so it's easier to pour. You can mix it with plain PG and/or VG to achieve any PG/VG ratio you want. Why not start with the ratio you've been vaping (does the vendor say the ratio?)

Lots of people here will help you figure out what to buy, once you decide nic strength and PG/VG ratio. Then you can move on to the fun stuff: flavors!

SpaceCadet

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks a lot for the tips. I vape 12mg so I dilute the 36mg and mix 30PG/70VG. Any more VG and I get some reactions, I think it's allergies.
I'll post couple of my simple recipes later maybe you notice if I'm dong anything wrong. I can't say that I like my mixes much but working on it so in the future hopefully I can be self sufficient. Who knows what the future holds for us.

VU Sponsors