Become a Patron!

Newbie needs help please!

Hi all just need some help. Feel a bit stupid as I'm struggling to get my head around this sub ohm thing. I was a heavy smoker for 35 years,managed to quit using the off the shelf tesco or asda cheap e pens. Trouble is they not longer satisfy my need to puff lots of smoke. So decided to buy myself the cool fire 4 after a little read up. I am now sitting here not having a clue what to do with the settings. I really can't get my head round the ohms stuff etc and don't just wanna be puffing away putting myself at risk. I've set it to 10 watts as anything above that started getting hot. Any help appreciated,Andy.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sub-ohm refers to the resistance of the coil and you haven't said what tank and coil your using so it's hard to give you good advice.

The coolfire is a good mod but it's not a TC mod so you can only use Kanthal wire no Ni or Ti. The coolfire only goes down to 0.3 ohms so you need a coil between 1.0 and 0.3 ohms to sub-ohm and some coils have a wattage range printed on them. I don't know what tank you have but to blow big clouds you'll need ether a sub tank or a drippier. To blow big clouds you don't need to go sub-ohm, a Kanger subtank with a 1.5 ohm coil will blow some big ass clouds at 15 watts or so and bigger clouds with a 0.5 ohm coil at 30 watts. There are many good choices for a sub tank and hopefully some else will offer a few suggestions.

If I've helped good if not just treat this as the nonsensical musings of a mad man.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Sorry bit stupid of me to not say what I'm running. Cool fire 4 with isub tank and 0.3 coil. Doesn't help that I've put 16mg fuel in it so that's not gonna help. Just want to know if there are actual settings I should be running with that combination or is it just a preference thing with the wattage etc. Thanks,Andy.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I say it's always a preference thing. Vape wear it works best for you and don't get too bogged down in what the "right" settings are.
Play around until your happy and vape away. It's a preference thing for all of us no matter what we use.

Oh ok so to clarify, with the setup I'm using I could be set at 15 watts and 3.2volts and that's OK if I'm liking the vap. Oh and thanks for your time with this,much appreciated.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Oh ok so to clarify, with the setup I'm using I could be set at 15 watts and 3.2volts and that's OK if I'm liking the vap. Oh and thanks for your time with this,much appreciated.
Exactly

Thanks for that and sorry to bother you again. Can I use a 2.0ohm coil on the cool fire 4, I've just ordered innokin ones. I'm really not understanding the whole ohms, wattage and voltage thing so a bit worried about messing it up and getting into bother. Thought I would try the standard coil and presumed it would work as it listed for the isub tank I've got. Many thanks again for all your input,Andy.

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
2 ohm coil will be much better with 16mg nic. typically 6mg is as high as you should go with a sub ohm coil

2 ohm coil will be much better with 16mg nic. typically 6mg is as high as you should go with a sub ohm coil
Thanks, I've got the new 2.0 coils on the way and ordered some 50/50 ape juice. Hoping that will give me more cloud than I'm use to. Not going sub until I understand things a bit better. This vaping is like a science lesson to me at the moment and that wasn't my strongest subject. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for that, helped a bit till now. I'm currently using a lowsy tesco clearomizer which my CL4 tells me is a 2.9ohm. Running at 6W/4.2V I'm getting a nice vape but clouds obviously none existent although taste is great. To be expected with the 2.9 I guess. Trouble is I received the 2.0ohm coils for my isub tank and no matter what settings I use from the calculator or any I've messed about with all I get is some serious snap crackle and pop. I'm aware that stepping down to a 2.0 is going to be a more violent affair but is it supposed to be so harsh. I'm using a 50/50 nic free,maybe that's too runny for the coils as I'm getting major leakage too. I primed the coil and it's fitted correctly as far as I'm concerned. I know it's a preference thing with settings but everything I try seems to be a volcano erupting. As a newby it's kind of off putting but want to stick with it cause really want to get some clouds going. Any help would be great.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Sounds like you need lower resistance coils and a better tank.

VU Sponsors