Become a Patron!

Newbie Seeking Advise

DocDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok so I'm going cut straight to the chase here. I've been vaping for alittle over a year, started with a basic battery we all know the one; that crappy POS shops push to the "I'm not sure guys" that comes in the $20 - $30 starter kits. Upgraded to the MVP 2.0, love it, broke it, ordered a new one last night while the black friday deals were sweet. I'm rocking the iTaste VV 3 right now and I still have my busted MVP and all the parts minus the stupid little metal disc that goes behind the power switch. Also I'm going to be ordering the Sigelei 100 watt Box Mod off 101vape in a few months when I get back from deployment. So my questions for the experienced builders/modders out there that are willing to help me out are these......

For a guy with minimal experience messing around with an RDA what kind of equipment am I going to need to start cloud chasing? I mean the real basic must have items cause all I have is a cheap no name dripper that sucks and I don't have any tools for electronics at home.

Since I have this busted ass MVP thats currently in pieces cause I started taking it apart to check out the guts (figured since its broke anyways why not) are there any upgrades I can do to make it rip harder? I would've repaired it but I'm deployed so I'd have to order tools, wasn't sure if the disc was entirely necessary or not and plus picking up a new MVP for $35 plus shipping was too sweet of a deal to pass up on.

Last thing I promise lol, I'm working on a completely custom epipe design at the moment its still in the infancy stage of just research and sketching out ideas but I'm going to be making the pipe from scratch since I have experience in wood work so that I can center it around the idea of the illusion of being a tobacco pipe. I'm planning on hiding every electronic component so that at first glance people just see a plain smoking pipe. Are there any suggestions ya'll have for such a complete customized job?

Thank ya'll in advance for any help that ya'll are willing to give me, I know its kind of a pain in the butt to answer so many basic questions again and again as I'm sure ya'll have but after two days of searching the web and this forum I couldn't find very many straight answers for these questons.

Last edited:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Checkout fasttech.com or angelcigs as they're US based. I say them because of your limited budget (if I read your post correctly). A mechanical/unregulated mod can be $10 and a dripper which offer plenty of airflow for a couple of dollars - you can always drill an extra hole or 3 in it.

Buy or build your coils low ohms to draw more power output from the battery to get the heat. You'll most likely get best results by making/buying a high vg juice. Hope that advice is a starting point for you.

DocDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't really have a limited budget anymore because me and my wife FINAL got most of the bills paid off lol, so we have an extra $500 a month now and I guess I'm still in the frugal state of mind. But thats why I'm getting started into the more advanced stuff now is because we can actually afford for me to pursue such endeavors now. Thank you for the sites I'll definitely check them out, I've never had a mech mod before so getting a cheap $10 one that I'm cool with playing with until I finally break it from messing with it to much will be a great learning point for me. But what about the Sigelei I thought that was an awesome mod for such things? Thanks again @Hobby Kid

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You're welcome. Well I have to go now but hopefully others will chime in.

If you've got plenty of cash then I'd say yeah, get a regulated device. It's less haste e.g. no need to be so accurate on the resistance of your coils as the variable chip will take care of that. Sigelei have a good reputation currently. But there are plenty of others.

And there's a 'little' less concern on battery safety. *Someone, do please correct me on that or at least say it in a more informed way*

Choosing the right mech takes time and research. Else some do tend to be problematic - to name but one issue - something you eventually learn the more you read and buy.

Good luck and bye for now

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Checkout fasttech.com or angelcigs as they're US based. I say them because of your limited budget (if I read your post correctly). A mechanical/unregulated mod can be $10 and a dripper which offer plenty of airflow for a couple of dollars - you can always drill an extra hole or 3 in it.

Buy or build your coils low ohms to draw more power output from the battery to get the heat. You'll most likely get best results by making/buying a high vg juice. Hope that advice is a starting point for you.
I thought FastTech was in China?

DocDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I thought FastTech was in China?
fasttech is China based, I think he meant as fasttech because they are really cheap or angelcigs because they are US based. I've been checking out 101vape alot here lately, some really good deals there.

Laurel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
fasttech is China based, I think he meant as fasttech because they are really cheap or angelcigs because they are US based. I've been checking out 101vape alot here lately, some really good deals there.
Just checked out 101Vape. I'm liking it a lot!

whitepony1986

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok for cloud chasing you might want to check into a mechanism mod with low voltage drop....also proper 35 amp batteries a ohm meter and a good rda right now I'm favoring the stingrayx mod with the dark horse rda at a .12 ohm coil

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The other thing to check into is battery safety. If you are sticking with a regulated mod they have the built in protection. But if you are going to look at mechs make sure you read through some of the battery safety info. If you are going to use RBA's then you need an ohm meter also.

DocDrake

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you everyone, ya I'm definately going to be getting a Mech Mod to go with my Box Mods just cause they seems to be really highly thought of. I really appreciate all the advise and pointers I can get :)

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A mech is a great backup since they're simple and have no electronics. Not a bad idea to have one and know how to set it up even if its not used much.

VU Sponsors