Become a Patron!

Newbie vaper, strange symptoms! PG or flavourings?

After 25 years of 1.5+ packs a day of Marlboros I slowly transitioned to vaping a month ago. I started with an Ego Aio and 70% PG liquids. The taste of my first juice was exactly what I wanted and I thought all was well until I started getting dizzy even after a few short puffs in the morning (11mg/ml juice). I changed to a different juice (70% VG, still 11mg) and it seemed to get better. Mixed both juices for a few days and it seemed fine. Only used tobacco essences for the first couple of weeks. Then, I got the dreaded vapers tongue and switched to desert flavours in an attempt to taste something! And started using 6mg/ml juices on a Vaporesso Veco solo at 0.4 ohms. It felt like HEAVEN! No issues at all.

After a while I got sick of the desert- like tastes and went to Tobacco Trail by cuttwood (still 70% VG, 6mg). Got this intense pressure all over my head, horrific. Back to the desert juice, no more problems. Tried a 70% VG tobacco juice by Joyetech, intense head pressure back. All of this was at 6mg/ml.

In my experiments I also tried a 70% pg juice by halo at 3mg. Same headache and a little short of breath. Didn't help to narrow down the problem as it's both high PG and tobacco.

Now, is it possible tobacco juices have some sort of flavouring that is causing these reactions? If it's the PG and not the flavourings, would it make any sense that 70% VG desert juices are okay but not if it's a 70 % tobacco juice? I just can't seem to figure it out but I thought it Would be unlikely for tobacco flavourings from different brands to cause this. Any ideas? Thanks!!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Now, is it possible tobacco juices have some sort of flavouring that is causing these reactions?

Entirely possible - some people react differently than others to ingredients and there are a few members here who are highly sensitive to certain flavorings.

@The Cromwell knows a lot about this, and I trust his experience and judgment 100%

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
yes some have bad reactions to the contents of some flavorings.
I have been 100% DIY for over 3 1/2 years because it was either try making my own or go back to smoking as I could find only 1 commercial ejuice that I could vape. I toss around 80% of the flavorings that I tried because of sensitivity/allergic issues.
Several got tossed because they were just horrible anyway taste wise.
some taste extremely chemical to me. Melons and some fruits and such primarily.
And any V2 flavoring tastes of bile to me. And all doughnut flavorings that I have tried taste of Play Dough to me.

A Gas station ejuice Clayton tobacco flavor ejuice. It is actually a pretty good tobacco flavored juice too. Flavor wise. High PG though if that is a problem.

I am NOT PG sensitive. However many/most flavorings I have tried cause me issues ranging from somewhat mild oral and throat irritation to severe oral, throat and lung irritation.

And yep my ADV is Cap Vanilla Custard V1 with some CAP Vanilla whipped cream. 50/50 PG/VG

I learned that for me a bad flavoring will get my lips tingly after a few hits. If I keep on vaping it it gets worse.

I suspect that in 5 years these sensitivities may be well known. But for not not so much.
Juice manufacturers tend to deny the existence of said sensitivity to some flavoring ingredients.

For myself I found that DIY using Hangsen Desert Ship tobacco flavoring is both good and causes me no issues.
When I first started vaping I tried a few store bought tobacco juices and most caused me issues or were pretty pithy.

Last edited:
Thank you both!

I just went out and bought a 70% tobacco juice from the manufacturer of the juice I've been using without any problems, again 6mg. Three puffs and I'm short of breath and a headache. It happened with the joyetech tobacco, the joyetech premium tobacco, a local Brazilian brand tobacco and a Halo one. It's only the tobacco ones.

I guess I'll have to keep trying until I find one that I can handle. I can handle fruit, custard, what have you, but not vaping tobacco is making me feel like a cigarette!!

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
If tobacco is a must, you might try to see if a NET juice is available locally.

NET stands for Naturally Extracted Tobacco. It is made by soaking actual tobacco in PG or VG or whatever, then strained repeatedly. Gives you all the taste but none of the nasties. Some are real coil gunkers - but if you really need tobacco, it can be a great alternative to tobacco-flavored juice if flavoring is giving your problems and others can't stop the craving

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All you can do is keep on trying.
No real way to find out what ingredient is getting you and which juices contain it.

If tobacco is a must, you might try to see if a NET juice is available locally.

NET stands for Naturally Extracted Tobacco. It is made by soaking actual tobacco in PG or VG or whatever, then strained repeatedly. Gives you all the taste but none of the nasties. Some are real coil gunkers - but if you really need tobacco, it can be a great alternative to tobacco-flavored juice if flavoring is giving your problems and others can't stop the craving

That sounds like something to try. Yes, I love tobacco and do feel like smoking without it. Thanks for the tips, both of you.

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I love the smell of Black and Mild cigars. If I soak the tobacco from 2 in 20mil vg and 20mil pg for 30 days I get 30mil of B&M concentrate. I mix it 50-50 with vg and it tasts exactly like a B&M smells. Good stuff but coil killer. Sometimes I add nic but not always. When I do it is to the tank by drops.

VU Sponsors