Become a Patron!

Next Generation MTL tanks Part 2

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@MercuryVaper, just be aware the kf mini v3 plus doesn't fit on the Pico, it's too chubby. FT has a kf mini v3 plus v1.5 (go figure ) that is supposed to be 22.5 mm and should fit on the Pico. I should have it in 3 weeks or so.
I just received my tobeco kf5 and the fountain v2. I gotta go play. ...
Yeah I am aware of that. I'm going to get her another V3 and pico set up... I looked at the plus V 1.5 and opted to pass it up. It has no real support items I am aware of such as tank glass...

F

fckaugust8th

I did see that but I figured I could always get a taller glass of same diameter and cut it to size.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reporting back on trying the Serpent mini (in Black), great tank, no leaks, I changed out the drip tip to smaller bore , air flow shut almost completely off....Vapes MTL very nicely, I like it just a tad better than the Nectar, in comparison they both vape alike and are simple to build a single coil on!

thumbnail_IMG_20160717_1313208091_zpsupifhl7c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160717_1337263771_zpswk8ftt5i.jpg

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Reporting back on trying the Serpent mini (in Black), great tank, no leaks, I changed out the drip tip to smaller bore , air flow shut almost completely off....Vapes MTL very nicely, I like it just a tad better than the Nectar, in comparison they both vape alike and are simple to build a single coil on!

thumbnail_IMG_20160717_1313208091_zpsupifhl7c.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20160717_1337263771_zpswk8ftt5i.jpg
I really like the serpent mini. I run mine full open for restricted DL and find the flavor to be outstanding. I found that for me it was a bit too airy for a closed down MTL. So easy to build and wick, zero leaks. I'll get another for backup.

F

fckaugust8th

I have no worries for the glass, if I really need to, I can get the pyrex tubing and cut and fire polish a replacement for myself. I just ordered the Calix v2 and 2 glass/metal replacements for it. We shall see....

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have no worries for the glass, if I really need to, I can get the pyrex tubing and cut and fire polish a replacement for myself. I just ordered the Calix v2 and 2 glass/metal replacements for it. We shall see....
Looking forward to your impressions BB and if it fits your style.

F

fckaugust8th

I can hardly wait for it. I am finding out the fountain v2 is a nice atty but squonking is not for me. The kf 5 is nice but even at it's tightest af setting is still a little bit loose. The af on the kf mini v3/plus is more my speed.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I can hardly wait for it. I am finding out the fountain v2 is a nice atty but squonking is not for me. The kf 5 is nice but even at it's tightest af setting is still a little bit loose. The af on the kf mini v3/plus is more my speed.
Kfv5 is on my short list and I keep hoping to see one that comes w m2l kit or as a separate add on.

F

fckaugust8th

FT carries replacement glass for the "regular "kf mini plus, the one we are looking at is the mini plus v1.5. This little guy is 22.5 mm diameter so the glass from the other ones should be just big enough to not fit it.

KingLouie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Wow is there a difference between the kayfun mini3 & the kayfun mini3 plus? i mean on fasttech

Because that clone looks really nice compared to my authentic. Also it looks logo-less, nice touch:D

Edit- nice purchase @Brewbear -If i hadnt seen your interest in the Gem 2 before me, i was checking my bank as well lol. Great buy let me know how you like it

F

fckaugust8th

Thanks @KingLouie, I thought the Gem v2 would look nice on the Triade.
There is a difference between kf v3 mini and kf v3 mini plus, the plus is a little chubby at 23-24 mm vs 19 and holds a little more juice. There is also a mini plus v1.5 :confused: that is 22.5 mm diameter and I have high hopes it will fit on the Pico and the Tesla Stealth. This thing is an oddball size and the glass isn't available so people are a little skiddish about buying it. I don't have a problem with that, as long as the damn thing works well, doesn't leak and fits on the intended mods.

F

fckaugust8th

Ever felt like using a dripper around the house but didn't want all that air? The Magma and Veritas not quite your thing?
Welcome to my world :wait: I just put a simple kanthal built in the narDA and you can actually enjoy a dripper and mtl too. Granted, is is still too early to be definite but for now I'm liking it. I will need a couple of days to put it through it's paces, but at least for now I'm having a lot of hope for it. It does whistle when wide open (like the Petri v1 clone) but it is pretty good for a single coil rda.

F

fckaugust8th

A few words about the kfv5 clone by tobeco. ..very clean, nicely machined. The air flow is a bit more than I like for MTL but with some perspicacity and creative thinking, I believe I can make it work. There is a very slight wobble but that is inherent to the design. The more you open the juice flow, the more wobble you will have. Again, this is about the kfv5 clone, I don't know if the authentic has this ailment. The Presa 100 doesn't like it, ohms jump around a bit, or it doesn't read it at all. The problem seems to reside with the mod since this is not the only atty it does it with and the tank itself works flawlessly one other mods. I should receive a FT clone in a couple of weeks. ...maybe....and I'll be able to compare the two.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, what is the best kayfun mini v3 clone? Is it the Tobeco? The Tobeco at vapenw is not much more than the highest rated FT clone and I won't have to wait 2 months for it to get to me.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
So, what is the best kayfun mini v3 clone? Is it the Tobeco? The Tobeco at vapenw is not much more than the highest rated FT clone and I won't have to wait 2 months for it to get to me.
They show OOS. I hope they get more in. Black would be nice.

F

fckaugust8th

I have the FT "El cheapo" brand. They are both pretty good . Through v3 mini plus is a "China brand" different from v3 mini by being a little chubby and shorter with the same function and slightly increased holding capacity.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not too worried about the capacity, I have no problem getting time to refill. I don't care if it's fat or skinny as long as I get the best performance

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm not too worried about the capacity, I have no problem getting time to refill. I don't care if it's fat or skinny as long as I get the best performance

Wait.... What are we talking about again?:bliss:

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
IMO, you can never go wrong with a Tobeco. Every one I've had has been a really decent clone.

That said, I have the FT KFMV3 and it performs great. I may have replaced the deck screws, I can't remember.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/4284500

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I ordered this guy SKU: 4422000 from FT

Pretty sure it's the black version of the one with all the reviews. Just needs a bit of sanding on the back plate of the 510.

F

fckaugust8th

CDrover was asking which of the miriad kfv3 mini clones is the best.I had replied that there is a kfv3mini plus as well, just to muddy the water.

KingLouie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
hahaha hey thats my thread! it is a really sweet setup- that topcap. It might even kick the juice capacity up a little bit, im not sure. Their website sucks.

You guys have convinced me to get a clone or 2 of the kayfun mini3. They all look really good & a desirable price. Replacing the screws on the mini3 would be clutch, i have the same problem on the authentic. Those damn little screws do love to spit out the wire when im tightening it down, even when i use 28/29 gauge, my favorite for the kayfun. I look past it though, because of the performance.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
hahaha hey thats my thread! it is a really sweet setup- that topcap. It might even kick the juice capacity up a little bit, im not sure. Their website sucks.

You guys have convinced me to get a clone or 2 of the kayfun mini3. They all look really good & a desirable price. Replacing the screws on the mini3 would be clutch, i have the same problem on the authentic. Those damn little screws do love to spit out the wire when im tightening it down, even when i use 28/29 gauge, my favorite for the kayfun. I look past it though, because of the performance.
I bought a pack of replacement screws way back when on FT for Kayfun lite and use those.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My Kayfun mini showed up today. Who said the Goblin Mini had a small deck? I had to put my glasses on and still wished I had a magnifying glass. WOW that's tiny. Had a minor wicking issue, but seems to be going ok, now.
Had wicking issue at first also. I now tuck the wicks in "waterfall" style and use a safety pin to run under the wick to nudge it off the base so doesn't block the juice holes. All good now.

KingLouie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
The deck is tiny. I have found that the optimal build diameter is actually around one of those little blue screwdrivers you probably have a ton of.

Also, you want to use enough wick where the tails completely touch the bottom of the deck when tucked, (touching the little holes juice comes out of) but no more than that. Its trial and error, ill tuck them down & see if i have extra, and remove them and trim them very slightly, if you can picture that. Once you get the hang of it, its a breeze!

Use too little wick and it will leak

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
LOL I can picture that, actually. And can ya believe I have ONE blue screwdriver? How'd that happen??

I use rayon, so I figured the wicks touching the base, and then a touch more would be fine. So far, that's working great. It shrinks up, instead of expanding, so I didn't think it would clog up the juice flow. I had that one issue, re-wicked and so far, so good. I wish I'd put a different juice in it, but the flavor is definitely good. Just not crazy about the juice. Meh, it'll vape up.

It's a teeny little thing, for sure!

KingLouie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I really like the size of it. Im going to rewick it later today, so i could take a picture. I only have 1 blue screwdriver as well, i usually toss them, but because of the size of the deck a micro coil around the blue guy works great for me, 6-8 wraps depending on what im feeling usually comes to 1-1.2 ohms, 28 gauge mainly.

Im sure depending on the wire/build/wick everyone's results may vary, but ive found if i use a little extra wick (tucking it results in an 'M' sort of shape) that it just gunks up more quickly, ive got very few burnt hits overall.

Similarly, ive found if you use too little wick where it doesnt touch the bottom of the base & juice holes fully, ittl gurgle. Ive yet to have serious leaking issues, but i hate the gurgle. It just performs so flawlessly otherwise that its pretty noticable, and annoying when out & about, and worrying about that in my pocket.

I pretty much do a upside down U wick, by lifting the tail up first- then pushing the ends of it downwards, so it doesnt clump up down there & is even. I usually start with what i know will be too much, so that i dont accidentally cut it too short in the beginning. Then ill tuck it down, usually making that M shape, pull it out and cut it accordingly.

It seems @ToolmanTexas has had success when his wick doesnt fully touch the juice holes, but mine will gurgle if the wick isnt sat down there completely.
Or maybe he meant he uses a safety pin to slightly separate the wick from the building deck near the wire horizontally, i do as well, just once ive set the wick and place, and sometimes after i juice it up first.

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The deck on the kayfun v5 is bigger, but it is a big tank too, I don't have problems building on the kayfun mini either though, have 2.5mm 1.5ohm clapton coil in mine, 1st kayfun I have put clapton coils in :)

I had wicking problems to start with, and was actually not putting enough wick in, if wick too short then won't suck the juice up to the coil, I tuck my cotton in pretty thick, but I make sure one juice hole is clear of wick.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The deck on the kayfun v5 is bigger, but it is a big tank too, I don't have problems building on the kayfun mini either though, have 2.5mm 1.5ohm clapton coil in mine, 1st kayfun I have put clapton coils in :)

I do 2.5mm coils in mine also, kanthal but fits great.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I used a 2.4mm (yellow screwdriver you see all over the place), and my wicking is much like KingLouie described. Reading what everyone's saying, we seem to do this quite similarly.

@Brewbear, there is no way in hell I'd be able to work on the Nautilus RBA. I was determined to NOT let Kayfun win, but man that was a battle. Made my eyes hurt, LOL.

VU Sponsors