Become a Patron!

Nickel builds and RTAs????

Vapor_Citi1776

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hey guys so I have a question . I have a istick 40w tc mod and I just picked up a spool of 30 ni200 wire. I'm having extreme difficulty building with this. I don't really even know where to begin with a build. I don't want to keep wasting wire with bad builds. So where should I begin?

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nickel can be difficult, especially in the smaller sizes. It is very soft. Try winding your coils around a rod about 2.5 mm in diameter. You can wild the coil spaced. Give yourself 6 to 8 turns. After winding, gently compress the coil winds together and let go. They should spring back slightly giving you nicely spaced windings. With nickel, you don't want the coils windings touching each other.

Leaving the coil on the rod, place it on the build deck and fasten the wires in place to the posts. Use the rod to manipulate the coil into proper position. Then gently rotate and slide the rod out. Carefully pull cotton through the coil, not tightly or it will disturb coil spacing and alignment. Finish wicking, juice up and enjoy. Start at a lower temp and work up.

First caveat: With that tiny of nickel, your posts must have screws to capture the wire. The posts that have a hole and pinch the wire as the screw is tightened will not work very well. The soft nickel wire usually breaks before a really good connection can be made.
Second: The istick TC40w fires everything at 40 watts up to temp setting. It's gonna fire that 30 gauge up to hot real quick like. I would highly recommend going to a 28 gave minimum; I use 26 with that mod.

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
30g will be fine and actually give you more room to build without hitting the mods limitations.

What tank are you building on?

matthew.wallwork

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had the same issue so I started making double twisted builds with my 30g ni wire and it is much easier to work with and lasts longer. Twisting is pretty easy once you do it a couple of times and I am by no means an expert at coil builds..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neflhiem

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just did this for the first time last night on my Triton tank RTA. Its working but im worried about the screw holding the coil leg at the bottom is barely holding i think. I love the idea of twisting it.. Ive never twisted yet but i think that would work perfect on this. I have 28ga Ni200

VU Sponsors