Become a Patron!

Noob to RDA

FM696269

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
hey guys, currently have a IPV Mini 2 70w and using the kanger subtank mini.

only really running it between 15-20w and its great, flavours good, clouds are good... but now i want more.

want something fun to throw out some huge clouds.

from my understanding i need an ohm reader, some wire, thickness dependant on what ohm ill be trying to achieve? and some cotton (got some muji here that i use in my rba for the subtank.

question 1, what would you guys reccommend for a new rda user to use on my ipv mini 2 70w.

question 2, how do you fill these up, ive never seen or used an rda, ive always had glasstanks so i can see the liquid in them and top up when i need to, how do rda's work? do you just soak the liquid at the bottom and let it run out then resoak it when it dries up?

cheers all

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1. I'd recommend you do a little bit of research on your own, then give us 2 or 3 RDAs that catch your eye to help you do comparisons on. Inviting a free-for-all generally results in a lot of recommendations and little basis for any of them.

2. You just drip on the wicking media until it's saturated (usually 10-15 drops), vape, and repeat in a few tokes - more or less depending on your build, how hot you're running it, and how well you've wicked.

FM696269

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
all good mate, on youtube atm watching reviews, atm plume veil seems good and ive read the darkhorse is recommended on here? gonna go watch some more vids

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, specifics give me something more to comment on - I don't know the Dark Horse, but I rather like the Plume Veil - quad-post design makes dual coil builds nice and simple, airflow is adequate for some good clouds but the chamber is still small enough to produce on flavor. I'd call it more of a balance between flavor and clouds than a straight fog machine though, if that's what you're looking for.

One problem I've had with some of my Plume clones (I have like 6 between mine and the wife's) is the positive pin coming loose and wanting to spin while I'm trying to torque down my builds. Not sure if this is a complaint with the legitimate ones as well...

FM696269

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
stupid question. clones are counterfeit cheaper items from china or something? just not "official" products but same design, same material etc?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
all good mate, on youtube atm watching reviews, atm plume veil seems good and ive read the darkhorse is recommended on here? gonna go watch some more vids
I have plenty of RDAs (stopped counting when I reached 20). I don't recommend either of the RDAs you posted. The Plume Veil leaks a lot. The Dark Horse is lacking a deeper well. Depending, on what you want from your RDA, for flavor, I'd go with a Tugboat V2, TOBH V2, or a SwirlFish (similar to, but way better than Plume Veil). For clouds, CLT V3, Mutation X V3, Doge X V2, Royal Hunter, Bullet.

stupid question. clones are counterfeit cheaper items from china or something? just not "official" products but same design, same material etc?
Yes, but the material might not be of the same quality, as well as the quality of the clone itself. However, there are certain brands, that are cloning of same quality, occasionally even better than it's original counterpart.

FM696269

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
kk just looking at clone mutation v3's, they seem pretty cheap.

my IPV mini 2 goes upto 70w and can go down to 0.2ohm resistance, is this sufficient for throwing decent clouds?

what gauge wire will i need to get started and can anyone reccommenda simple to use ohm reader?

do i actually need an ohm reader? cant i just do a coil with the right thickness wire, put it in and if its lower than 0.2 my battery will say its too low to use anyway?

is there a key to getting 0.2-0.25ohm coils?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's enough new questions to warrant a link to my big thread, check out the section on wire and coils here:

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

Quick answers: yes, 28/26/24g is a good collection to start with, http://www.usaohmmeters.com/, yes, possibly but I wouldn't recommend it, and yes, however with a regulated mod where you can just increase watts there's no real need to go right to a device's safety limit when you could build higher and apply the same power anyway.

FM696269

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ah sweet, sorry missed that sticky ill have a good look over it, cheers bud.

ill watch some more youtube videos later but i do like the look of that mutation v3.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll vouch for any of the Mutations as certifiable cloud monsters...also nice easy builds with good-sized juice wells.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
That's enough new questions to warrant a link to my big thread, check out the section on wire and coils here:

http://www.vapingunderground.com/th...-sick-clouds-bro-thread-sticky-edition.78126/

Quick answers: yes, 28/26/24g is a good collection to start with, http://www.usaohmmeters.com/, yes, possibly but I wouldn't recommend it, and yes, however with a regulated mod where you can just increase watts there's no real need to go right to a device's safety limit when you could build higher and apply the same power anyway.
Nice compilation in that sticky!

martinelias

Silver Contributor
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The troll rda gives you crazy airflow for ccloud chasing but is lacking in the flavor department. Freakshow imo is the complete opposite. Doge v2 for me is superior than most rdas. Easy deck to build on. Excellent air options for clouds and flavor is great. Fairly inexpensive too.
I agree with what wss said on the plume veil leaking. You can control it once you get the hang of it but i dont recommend as first rda.
all rdas leak if you overdrip and/tilt them. Some are more proned to leaking due to design flaws.

Boshears

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What about the vertex v2? It will chuck some good clouds with great flavor. Or the mutilator v3?

VU Sponsors