Become a Patron!

not all 18650 are the same size?

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I recently bought a sxmini from yihi.
It says it takes an 18650 battery. So while at the store I decided not to buy batteries since I have 18650 batteries at home.

Took it home and popped in my battery, and it's too long!

Sorry I don't have closeups of the battery but here it is charging.

How should I buy batteries in the future to prevent this?

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What kind of battery is that?

They can vary in length by a few mm - I only use trusted, original manufacturer flattop (not button-top) cells from Samsung, LG, and Sony...

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It is a battery for my flashlight.

I guess I'm still obvious to these things, i assumed an 18650 was an 18650.

Ordered a green samsung battery. Hopefully it fits haha.

Thanks guys!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
25R?

Protected batteries will be longer than 650mm because of a pcb on the bottom of the battery.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Several Samsung INR about. The model number is very important. It can.mean thebdifference between having a safe cell and one that simply doesn't have the capabilities needed to power your device. Over discharging even a "safer chemistry" cell can be disastrous.

The Samsung 20R, 25R 25R should both be sufficient for an sxmini. You'll need a 20A + cell.

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Perfect. The green are a revised composition, longer cycle life.

Got four the other day of the blue variety. Running them at 0.2 ohms on a parallel box, until my 22AWG wire comes in.

Protected cells can be upto 69mm tall. The Sammys are pretty much smack on 65 (18= mm wide 65=mm tall 0=round/tubular). At least the Sx mini isn't as fussy as.a vapour flask.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They can be longer (protected batteries, button top) and more or less wide in diameter, as all Vaporflask owners know :)

battery bro

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As others have mentioned, flashlight batteries contain a PCB (printed/protection circuit board) on the negative terminal. This chip adds a few mm and increases the height of the 18650. Some protected batteries will have a copper negative terminal. All unprotected batteries have a steel negative pole.

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would it have damaged my sxmini when I tried to run the longer 18650?
Man flashlight 18650 are pricey compared to vape 18650, my aw was bought cheap at 30 bucks

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would it have damaged my sxmini when I tried to run the longer 18650?
Man flashlight 18650 are pricey compared to vape 18650, my aw was bought cheap at 30 bucks
Depends on the amp limit on the AW. If it's for a flash light i wouldnt imagine it would have a high enough rating. Using it in your Sx mini could be dangerous.

Best to avoid protected batteries in a device that already has its own protections.

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, the flashlight forums all recommend the AWs. Great battery though. Only complaint is the price, when you have 3 or 4, it gets costly!

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
30 bucks for a protected AW battery? That's ludicrously high priced. You can run IMR button tops in your flashlight. This batt will work in your flashlight: http://www.imrbatteries.com/efest-purple-imr-18650-3100mah-20a-3-7v-rechargeable-button-top-battery/
That efest is a decent cell for a torch. They seem to last a good amount of time, so the capacity is genuine IMO.

I just can't get over efest labeling it as a 20A cell when it's a 6.5A Panasonic. Makes me angry that efest just don't care about people's safety.

I can still get button top Sony VTCcells. Not sure if they're accessible in the states but a few UK vendors have stock.

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My batteries came, but they're not green... I guess color differ or they sent wrong ones. Still says qnr18650 26r.

Anyways, here's a picture of the Samsung 18650 and the aw 18650. There's quite a difference in height.

Charging right now, hoping to vape my new box tonight...

richardward77

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My batteries came, but they're not green... I guess color differ or they sent wrong ones. Still says qnr18650 26r.

Anyways, here's a picture of the Samsung 18650 and the aw 18650. There's quite a difference in height.

That batt is a smurf good battery and I think your eyes may have been deceiving you when you ordered. Sony vtc- green Samsung blue LG dark red.

Sent from my ST23i using Tapatalk

misterJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Perhaps... I tend to order things very late at night.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

The reason for the difference in height is that AW is protected, as I think was mentioned earlier in this thread.

The Samsung INR18650-25R you have (not QNR, that's a different series, and not 26R) is blue or green. The newest revision is green but the change was just made a couple weeks ago and lots of vendors still have old stock. It's a minor change so the blue ones are fine.

CTFX

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Don't marry those 2 batteries in your device though.....different discharge rates and such could also be dangerous

NemesisVaper

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Definitely.

He has a single cell mod so he's ok. The protected cell was too tall for him to be able to use it.

VU Sponsors