Become a Patron!

not new to building, but new to SS

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i am late to the SS wire game and have a newb question. i finally decided to give it a shot and made a couple of very basic coils today. i didnt have much time so i made a contact coil and a spaced coil. just to see what it was like to work with, its resistance, and how it heated. the contact coil immediately threw my Evic Vtwo mini out of SS316 mode and into power mode. the spaced coil seemed to heat normally and stayed in SS316 mode fine. so am i to assume that contact coils are a no go with SS?

i have been away from the forums for a while. i did some searching, but wasnt finding what i was looking for. any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Spaced coils are generally best if using in temp control mode. Contact coils, with each wrap touching and heating eachother, can throw off your tc.

Vape the contact on power mode. Spaced on tc.

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
thanks! any other basics about working with SS i should know?

my SS came from lightningvapes and seems damn clean. i havent vaped on it yet so im excited to see if i notice a cleaner taste vs Ti.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
thanks! any other basics about working with SS i should know?

my SS came from lightningvapes and seems damn clean. i havent vaped on it yet so im excited to see if i notice a cleaner taste vs Ti.
The nicest things about stainless and if you want to really start pushing TC if thats your thing is to move to .304 or .430 stainless .430 is hard to get .304 is more accurate than .316 and .430 the best but again very hard to source.. the nicest thing for me about stainless is simple I rarely have to change coils ever I mean I have one tank that has the same coils for 5 months and Im not joking they just never go bad "IF" you do not abuse them.. I have never used anything other than stainless since switching but not for the TC for the clean taste ease of use and I no longer use TC at all :)

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
another newb question about SS. and yes im sure this has been discussed, but i cant find it.

regarding SS safety... i see where people are saying that they torch their SS wire to clean it. or dry burn it. i know this is not good for Ti as it will oxidize the Ti and inhaling those oxides is bad news. so what is different about SS that doesnt produce these oxides? i ask because when i dry burn a SS coil it turns colors just like Ti does.

so what is it about SS that makes vaping off of a colored coil safe as opposed to Ti?

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The coloring is just the wire reacting to heat. It doesn't have to outgas to change color. Most SS is nonreactive at vaping temps. If your vape heats it to the point that it outgasses anything, your head is probably on fire anyway, lol.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If your mod can lock in resistance, is it best to do that since the ohms on SS can fluctuate?

2c5000

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If your mod can lock in resistance, is it best to do that since the ohms on SS can fluctuate?

yes. if you dont lock it your TC functionality wont work right or at all.

and be sure to lock it in when the coil is cold.

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
another newb question about SS. and yes im sure this has been discussed, but i cant find it.

regarding SS safety... i see where people are saying that they torch their SS wire to clean it. or dry burn it. i know this is not good for Ti as it will oxidize the Ti and inhaling those oxides is bad news. so what is different about SS that doesnt produce these oxides? i ask because when i dry burn a SS coil it turns colors just like Ti does.

so what is it about SS that makes vaping off of a colored coil safe as opposed to Ti?

The Ti oxide produced by dry burning your coils is not the same stuff that causes potential problems. That oxide stated in some studies was produced by chemical reaction in extreme lab experiments, and really does not apply to vaping. That said, I have discontinued using Ni and Ti. SS or a combo Kanthal/Nichrome coil just works better for me. If you get any residue after dry burning your SS coils, I would suggest that it is from something on the wire you bought, or in the case of reconditioning used coils it is from previous juice. At any rate, a brass or stainless steel brush will take care of the matter. SS coils last a long time, and I can't really think of a way to "abuse" them with a vaping device. :)

VU Sponsors