Become a Patron!

ohm, volts, watts for dummies ?

boriqua75

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey all, I'm new to vaping and want to get a simple explanation on how ohms, watts and voltage play a role in your vape experience. I've realized through research that my "ego twist, with protank 2" is a knock off and I'm looking for good quality ecig ! Help! Pleaseeeee! I'm reading so much different stuff out there, I'm even dreaming about looking for the right vaping equipment! Lololol

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Depends on your form factor, how you like to draw the vape lung or mouth to lung, and how warm you want it.
Some vapors enjoy the clouds vs. flavor.

boriqua75

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ecig forum, youtube and some other places, I hit mouth to lungs (former smoker) and since my equipment is shitty I'm sure that is why I can't really taste my juice..

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Here's the lowdown:

1/ P = U² / R (or buy a VW mod and don't bother with the U and the R).
2/ Beaucoup P = beaucoup vape.
3/ Too much P, not enough juice or bad wick = dry hit (or buy a temperature control mod and don't fear dry hits no more).

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Do you have a local vape shop or three that you can check out without pressure of what you want from the sales jerk?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
For mouth to lung that ego and protank 2 arent that bad..Yes, you can get better but its a great start in my opinion...What juice are you buying?..not all are created equal for flavor and cloud production.

I would suggest maybe an eleaf istick 20w with a nautilus or nautilus mini as your first major upgrade and certainly a good juice to go with it...you can buy a decent juice from vista vapors for 20 dollars..100ml of it...should last you over a month unless you vape like crazy on it.

You can find a good used nautilus tank for 15 dollars and the eleaf maybe $20 to 30.00..coils for the nautilus will cost about $15.00 and hopefully last you at least a month (you get 5 of them)..On average one coil should last you a week or longer...i recommend the 1.5ohm coils.

Other than the proper nicotine level for your juice, its a pretty simple straight forward upgrade from what you have and a popular set up as well.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm also wondering why you aren't getting any flavor from what you have ... it's not a bad setup, in fact, it's far better than what I started with. I wonder if it's your juice that's the real problem.

Have you tried many different juices and still not getting any flavor?

boriqua75

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm also wondering why you aren't getting any flavor from what you have ... it's not a bad setup, in fact, it's far better than what I started with. I wonder if it's your juice that's the real problem.

I think it's probably bad wick from what the guy above mentioned. I've opened the protank, cleaned it, and did a dry burn . It helped a bit but maybe time for a new coil too.

boriqua75

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For mouth to lung that ego and protank 2 arent that bad..Yes, you can get better but its a great start in my opinion...What juice are you buying?..not all are created equal for flavor and cloud production.

I would suggest maybe an eleaf istick 20w with a nautilus or nautilus mini as your first major upgrade and certainly a good juice to go with it...you can buy a decent juice from vista vapors for 20 dollars..100ml of it...should last you over a month unless you vape like crazy on it.

You can find a good used nautilus tank for 15 dollars and the eleaf maybe $20 to 30.00..coils for the nautilus will cost about $15.00 and hopefully last you at least a month (you get 5 of them)..On average one coil should last you a week or longer...i recommend the 1.5ohm coils.

Other than the proper nicotine level for your juice, its a pretty simple straight forward upgrade from what you have and a popular set up as well.
Thank you! I was so bummed when I realized I had counterfeit equipt! I was looking at the eleaf istick too. Will the istick work with protanks?

boriqua75

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you have a local vape shop or three that you can check out without pressure of what you want from the sales jerk?
Um I live here in Albuquerque NM. Not too much here. There are like two shops I could check out but I've never been. The rest are smoke shops...pipes etc.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Thank you! I was so bummed when I realized I had counterfeit equipt! I was looking at the eleaf istick too. Will the istick work with protanks?

It will work with pretty much any tank you want except very low ohm subtanks. ...i strongly recommend the nautilus over the protank however...the flavor is a big difference between the 2.

The counterfeit battery i would be more concerned about than the tank...if anything, using authentic coils in the protank might make some difference but other than that its not a big issue with it...alot of clones are just as good as originals with alot of tanks and devices.

boriqua75

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It will work with pretty much any tank you want ...i strongly recommend the nautilus over the protank however...the flavor is a big difference between the 2.

The counterfeit battery i would be more concerned aboit than the tank...if anything, using authentic coils might make some difference but other than that its not a big issue with it.
Thank you soooooo much! Yay vap!!!!!!!!

boriqua75

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'm using a vg liquid I got from a smoke shop. It's called "Willis eliquid" like Willie Nelson ..lol not sure if it's a good one. Was going to buy some from vapedna? I came across their site from a article saying they were highly-rated

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've never tried that juice but for some reason a MJ flavored vape comes to mind, lol.

I haven't bought juice from vapedna either but they are probably safe if you aren't seeing any negative reviews on them. I mostly use juice that I make myself these days but I do still, on occasion, buy premade. There are good vendors here on this site as well as juice reviews for a lot of the popular brands out there.

Did you used to smoke prior to vaping? In any case, glad to see you here! :)

Last edited:

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If you want to try a pretty good juice for little cost, try Vista Vapors. They have a free 12ml bottle of juice giveaway. The only thing is, you have to pay $1.99 for shipping. Plus, they only allow you to do it once.

boriqua75

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've never tried that juice but for some reason a MJ flavored vape comes to mind, lol.

I haven't bought juice from vapedna either but they are probably safe if you aren't seeing any negative reviews on them. I mostly use juice that I make myself these days but I do still, on occasion, buy premade. There are good vendors here on this site as well as juice reviews for a lot of the popular brands out there.

Did you used to smoke prior to vaping? In any case, glad to see you here! :)
Yup I did, I smoked about a half pack a day...and I have some asthma. ..needless to say vaping is where it's at!

NYNURSE

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Take a free day and visit the vape shops. If you are lucky, someone will check out your gear and set that issue straight. I doubt anybody is going to explain Ohms Law to you, but in 5 minutes they should be able to explain how different settings can change how your e juice reacts. Sample what they have. Hint: bring water, it's like a wine tasting, rinse after each flavor. And don't forget to tell them why you are vaping. That will help them give you the better blend, hence a better vaping experience. It all comes together.

boriqua75

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Take a free day and visit the vape shops. If you are lucky, someone will check out your gear and set that issue straight. I doubt anybody is going to explain Ohms Law to you, but in 5 minutes they should be able to explain how different settings can change how your e juice reacts. Sample what they have. Hint: bring water, it's like a wine tasting, rinse after each flavor. And don't forget to tell them why you are vaping. That will help them give you the better blend, hence a better vaping experience. It all comes together.
Thank you @NYNURSE! Nice to see a fellow nurse on here! Yeah I might try that out tomorrow! I found a couple new places here locally that might help me..

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just hope one of the shops are legit and not just going to sell her something she doesnt need.

The best place to order anything is online as far as price goes...for any questions, you can get all the great information and answers possible from here, to help you make "Your" decision.

NYNURSE

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just hope one of the shops are legit and not just going to sell her something she doesnt need.

The best place to order anything is online as far as price goes...for any questions, you can get all the great information and answers possible from here, to help you make "Your" decision.

I'll agree on both statements.
I got very lucky on my first visit to a B&M. Yes, the prices were certainly higher but the 1:1 instruction, the ability to handle the equipment, and the fact that they also re answered my questions a week later when I needed clarification was well worth the extra $20 I paid for a eLeaf / Aspire combo.

VU Sponsors