Become a Patron!

Ohms Calculation

Faceman12

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I know about steam engine. What I don't know is how to put clapton wire into it to know how many wraps I need. I have pre-made clapton with 26 inner 32 outer. I'm building on a velocity clone and a griffin (if that makes a difference) and am going for pretty decent clouds. So how many wraps and what ohms should I aim for? I'm running on a 200W mod which leads to my next question. How do I know what is the best wattage range to stay in for certain Ohm coils?

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can go to the wire wizard part, but for the coil building area it's pretty simple. First, ignore the outer wire for the most part. Simply put what the cores are, the one difference you make is 2X the thickness of your wrap wire for additional accuracy. That should get you pretty close estimates.

As far as what resistance you want, there's a lot more to good vapor production than resistance, it's actually a more minor attribute. Wire types (fused claptons, alien, staple, etc are among the higher end), focusing on surface area, so a larger coil is good, more wire heating and touching the liquid soaked cotton. Lots of stuff about all this, but lets just say I have a .48Ω coil in my Avocado on a Noisy cricket and it produces comparable vapor to a .12Ω build I had on it before with a regulated mod.

As far as what wattage for what resistance, there's no hard rule. There is a formula you could use to find how fast things heat up, but there's a lot of variables involved, wicking will play a large difference and that's not going to be part of that formula. But, what I found a long time ago when I was going with premade coilhead tanks. .3Ω=70w, .5Ω=40w, and .6Ω=30w. Those aren't set values but starting points, from there you'll adjust upwards until you find your sweet spot. To further estimate I've kind of gotten a feel for the type of coil and mass and what wattage would suit it. The more mass the more wattage, the lower resistance the more wattage. Just as a nice rule of thumb.

One note for the premade clapton wire, 32g outer wrap is a pretty thick wire for an outer wrap, it'll take some time to ramp up. Just a heads up.

Tol

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I know about steam engine. What I don't know is how to put clapton wire into it to know how many wraps I need. I have pre-made clapton with 26 inner 32 outer. I'm building on a velocity clone and a griffin (if that makes a difference) and am going for pretty decent clouds. So how many wraps and what ohms should I aim for? I'm running on a 200W mod which leads to my next question.

I use steam engine for a lot of things but if you have an Android device, you can use Vape Tool which will calculate clapton coils. I use it a lot more now than I do a lot of claptons, it is a bit simpler to me than the wire wizard in Steam Engine.

My basic build for dual claptons has been about 7 wraps on 3mm ID, using 26 ga core and 36 ga outer. It comes out to around .53 ish. Sometimes I go a bit more or less, but it is a good starting point. I have been running them anywhere from 45-60 watts on average depending on juice.

What you should aim for in wraps or resistance, is really up to you to decide. Pick a moderate build and try it out, then adjust from there to your liking.

How do I know what is the best wattage range to stay in for certain Ohm coils?

If you use Steam Engine, Heat Flux is your friend in determining what kind of power to use for the coils you are building. If you find a build you really enjoy, toss it into steam engine and see what the heat flux is. Then you know when you plan a coil, what wattage it will take to hit around the same rang of heat flux you like.

Vape Tool also gives you a suggested "sweet spot" or wattage range when you build coils in that.

suprtrkr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I use the Wire Wizard page to lay out Claptons.

Reactions: Tol

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I know about steam engine. What I don't know is how to put clapton wire into it to know how many wraps I need. I have pre-made clapton with 26 inner 32 outer. I'm building on a velocity clone and a griffin (if that makes a difference) and am going for pretty decent clouds. So how many wraps and what ohms should I aim for? I'm running on a 200W mod which leads to my next question. How do I know what is the best wattage range to stay in for certain Ohm coils?
Add .21mm to the inner diameter to compensate for the 32 gauge wrapping wire, example when putting into steam engine for the inner diameter for a 3.0mm it would be 3.21

That's it

Last edited:

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Use the wire wizard on steamengune. Then use math to calculate the hf, wattage and hc. It give all the values. Just doesn't do the final mutilation calcs. For you.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Finding the best wattage for a build is the same for all builds. You start at the lowest setting and move up til happy.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors