Become a Patron!

Ohms Law Question: Regulated vs Mech Mods

Hi, first post!
I read somewhere online recently that when calculating ohms law regarding a regulated mod it should be calculated using the nominal voltage value of the battery and not its fully charged capacity.
Could someone kindly explain why this is the case? Is it as simple as regulated mods not allowing the battery to output more than its nominal voltage?

Last edited:

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi, first post!
I read somewhere online recently that when calculating ohms law regarding a regulated mod it should be calculated using the nominal voltage value of the battery and not its fully charged capacity.
Could someone kindly explain why this is the case? Is it as simple as regulated mods not allowing the battery to output more than its nominal voltage?
Never heard of such. It should be calculated at the desired wattage/voltage of said regulated mod. The chipset controls voltage based on battery configuration. E.g. single battery regulated mods can usually run up to a certain wattage limit based on what most batteries can safely stand. Dual battery regulated mods generally run a series algorithm for the batteries; maximizing wattage output for what most batteries can safely stand. Anyway, why are you concerned with the ohms law particulars for a regulated mod? Use quality batteries, only build/install coils within the software limitations of said mod (otherwise it won't fire anyway), and vape on!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hi, first post!
Welcome to VU by the way!

Thanks for the reply! Im not really concerned about it, I just came across that statement on a reddit thread and wanted an explanation. Im just trying to work on my ohms law and calculating current draw on a regulated mod can be confusing to say the least! Cheers for clearing some of it up.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for the reply! Im not really concerned about it, I just came across that statement on a reddit thread and wanted an explanation. Im just trying to work on my ohms law and calculating current draw on a regulated mod can be confusing to say the least! Cheers for clearing some of it up.
Don't listen to the Redditiots...current draw is managed by the chipset. Don't worry about it. Lol

Bigrick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Redditiots... Thats awesome. Very accurate description. Hope I do not offend anyone today. Oops...too late.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Although like said the chip is there, here's a little more info on selecting batteries for regulated, if you choose to use it.
All credit to Battery Mooch as I quote him:
"Calculating the current being drawn from the batteries in a regulated device can be very confusing. You can't do it the same way as you would for a mechanical/unregulated device and there are so many different battery configurations; single, dual parallel, dual series, triple series, etc.

The way I keep it all sorted out is to remember that, in a regulated mod, the coil isn't connected to the battery. The regulator is. To calculate the current being drawn from each battery when using variable-wattage (VW) mode you need to calculate the maximum wattage each battery supplies.

Here's how I do it...
As an example, the RX200 has a maximum wattage rating of 200W. Since it uses three batteries that means each battery supplies 200W / 3 = 67W. For dual parallel or series 150W devices each battery supplies 150W / 2 = 75W. You use this method for series or parallel devices, it doesn't matter.

Once you have the maximum wattage for each battery then you can use the following formula to determine the maximum amount of current that can be drawn from each battery...

Max Amps Per Battery = Max Wattage Per Battery / Minimum Voltage Per Battery

For the RX200 the minimum possible cutoff voltage is 9.0V, which is 3.0V per battery (unless you set the cutoff higher). For most other devices the minimum is 3.2V or 3.1V per battery. Let's use the Sigelei 150W TC device as an example. This device has a minimum battery voltage of 6.4V, which is 3.2V per battery...

Max Amps Per Battery = 75W / 3.2V = 23.4A

So you want a battery that can safely supply 23.4A of current if you're using the mod at its maximum rating of 150W.

I should add that to get as close as possible to calculating the max current being pulled from your batteries you should add an additional 10%. This will account for the inefficiency of the regulator. For example, if your device draws 23.4A then add 2.34A for a total of 25.74A. Not a big difference, but it's there. That changes the equation to...

Max Amps Per Battery = (Max Wattage Per Battery / Minimum Voltage Per Battery) / 0.9

If you know you will not be exceeding a particular wattage that is less than the maximum then you can use that wattage in the equation instead. This often means you're able to use a higher capacity battery like the HG2 or 30Q instead of a high current rated, but lower capacity, battery like the VTC4 or HB6. It's worth doing the math to find out.

This works for series or parallel devices. It does not matter how they are connected as we are already taking that into account when we calculate the max power for each battery.

It takes much longer to explain all this than it does to actually calculate the amount of current being drawn from your batteries. I hope this helps make the very confusing process of determining how much current is being drawn a little bit easier. "

Last edited:

VU Sponsors