Become a Patron!

Ohms reading

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Does anyone know why my 2.1 ohm atomizer sometimes reads a resistance of 2.0 or 2.2?

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
A hot coil will read higher than a room temperature coil.
A higher quality connection will cause a lower resistance reading.
An atomizer coil-head, manufacturer rated at 2.1Ω can have a +/- variation of as much as 0.2Ω... an off brand can be worse.
What a ohm meter reads can also be dependent on the quality of the meter and it's contacts... a solid connection improves meter "stability".

muth

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank u, SOF. My reading came off of my MVP 2. Perhaps my contact or the coil-head was dirty? Or the MVP 2 can not be relied upon for correct readings?

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank u, SOF. My reading came off of my MVP 2. Perhaps my contact or the coil-head was dirty? Or the MVP 2 can not be relied upon for correct readings?
The MVP chipset is pretty solid... the 510 contact on the other hand can be sketchy. They tend to "sink" deeper into the 510 ground collar over time and you gradually (or entirely) loose a good connection.
Keep everything clean (Q-tips are handy)... and if you ever loose contact there are a number of things you can try, from simple to extreme.
  • Use a jeweler's screwdriver to gently "lift" the 510 contact up. A temporary fix.
  • If your atty 510 is adjustable, adjust it... if it's a clearo/glasso with a coil tail retention pin, you can pull it down a bit with pliers, or even a pair of tweezers. Again... a temporary fix.
  • Next is more aggressive and permanent. File, grind or otherwise machine down the 510 ground collar - .005"-.010" at a time - which in turn raises the 510 positive pin. You may have to machine the beauty ring as well.
  • To cure any air flow issues, if you're using attys that breath through the 510... Using the holes in the (snugly installed) beauty ring as a guide - drill through the beauty ring, the 510 ground collar... and out the other side, for a total of 4 holes, that if you did it right, you can look through and out the other side.
I've actually enlarged the original BR holes on my MVP... and of course, the 510 ground collar holes you drill qualify as a full on modification.

jack

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
off by .2 is not bad , and not an uncommon problem . SOF is right, on all the above . There is no difference in taste or vapor with + or - .2 .

VU Sponsors