Become a Patron!

Oregon teen nearly loses eye as e-cigarette explodes in his face

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Would have been nice to know what vaping gear he used. Probably a gas station e-cig.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
my guess would be a mech 18650 and he didn't know squat about ohms law
Good guess considering women let those batteries loosely rattle around in their purses and wonder why it goes up in flames.. That is what forums like this are for.

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
“I thought my lips were gone. It was nuts. And apparently, I didn’t see it, but everyone else said part of the mod shot and like went through chairs and stuff.”

So probably not a gas station ecig but since none of the stories I read about it say anything else about it other than he'd only had it a week, it could have been pretty much anything.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
“I thought my lips were gone. It was nuts. And apparently, I didn’t see it, but everyone else said part of the mod shot and like went through chairs and stuff.”

So probably not a gas station ecig but since none of the stories I read about it say anything else about it other than he'd only had it a week, it could have been pretty much anything.
yeah you gotta believe that the so called journalists are either A) lazy,stupid, cretins who didn't think to ask him what kind of rig he was vaping and what possible malfuntion occured, so that the public at large could avoid the dangers associated with the ignorance and abuse of vaping devices......or B) lazy,stupid and corrupt cretins who are the mouthpieces pushing a propoganda piece to demonize vaping......I'm going with B....

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
yeah you gotta believe that the so called journalists are either A) lazy,stupid, cretins who didn't think to ask him what kind of rig he was vaping and what possible malfuntion occured, so that the public at large could avoid the dangers associated with the ignorance and abuse of vaping devices......or B) lazy,stupid and corrupt cretins who are the mouthpieces pushing a propoganda piece to demonize vaping......I'm going with B....
This is Oregon so I guess ignorance was deliberate to spread fear. Make all vape gear seem dangerous.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And now we're on a crusade.

"Oh I'm completely against it. I'm trying to get anyone and everyone I can to throw 'em out," he said.

I wonder who threw that line in there.

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll say A in support of B.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader

Most reporters are so stupid that they think that an "ecigarette" is a blu or mark ten that they see at a gas station and don't even know of the existence of the actual vaping gear we use.

Look at fuckwad Chuck Shumer and his new mission against the new trend "juuling" that 110% of all kids are doing which is using a juul pen.

The Pax Juul is so "new" that it came out in 2013
Shumer hasn't noticed it's 2017 now I guess.

He claims all parents are too stupid to know that a juul isn't a thumb drive and they are the cr*ck c*caine of ecigs.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Most reporters are so stupid that they think that an "ecigarette" is a blu or mark ten that they see at a gas station and don't even know of the existence of the actual vaping gear we use.

Look at fuckwad Chuck Shumer and his new mission against the new trend "juuling" that 110% of all kids are doing which is using a juul pen.

The Pax Juul is so "new" that it came out in 2013
Shumer hasn't noticed it's 2017 now I guess.

He claims all parents are too stupid to know that a juul isn't a thumb drive and they are the cr*ck c*caine of ecigs.:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Not surprised that Chuck Schumer is leading the charge since Michael Bloomberg appears to be the principal economic patron of the movement. Bloomberg being to anti smoke/vape what Steyer is to environmentalism and Schumer being what Gore at least was to it.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Even that should be reasonably safe if someone gets 30A LG, Sony, or Samsung batteries and seeks help from places like:
http://vapingunderground.com/forums/unregulated-mechanical-mods.406/

Of course not many teenagers are wise enough to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if he bought his on eBay with a battery labeled 40A but Mooch tests at 10A.

The Atlantis subohm tank doesn't have a 510 pin that protrudes far enough to work with a mechanical mod with a hybrid top cap
There are quite a few other subohm tanks that won't work either.

They will fire a few times at first then eventually the battery will hit the positive and negative of the atomizer at the same time and BOOM!
qqu42q.jpg topuL7S.jpg

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The Atlantis subohm tank doesn't have a 510 pin that protrudes far enough to work with a mechanical mod with a hybrid top cap
There are quite a few other subohm tanks that won't work either.

They will fire a few times at first then eventually the battery will hit the positive and negative of the atomizer at the same time and BOOM!
View attachment 94819 View attachment 94820
You should repost those pics in the unregulated mod forum.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
If I could agree to banning anything in the vaping world it would be the hybrid top cap.
It is an unnecessary risk.

You may get a tad less voltage drop using a hybrid instead of a regular 510 connection but if someone is that concerned with the voltage drop they can just buy a regulated mod and set the volts / watts to wherever they want and it will produce steady power until the batteries die.

Every explosion is either one of four things:

1) Shitty ego battery plugged into a laptop
2) loose battery (or batteries) rolling around in pockets or purses with keys and or change.
3) hybrid top cap problem
4) batteries with damaged wraps / shitty Chinese batteries (usually have "fire" in the name) used by people who don't know any better

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If I could agree to banning anything in the vaping world it would be the hybrid top cap.
It is an unnecessary risk.

You may get a tad less voltage drop using a hybrid instead of a regular 510 connection but if someone is that concerned with the voltage drop they can just buy a regulated mod and set the volts / watts to wherever they want and it will produce steady power until the batteries die.

Every explosion is either one of four things:

1) Shitty ego battery plugged into a laptop
2) loose battery (or batteries) rolling around in pockets or purses with keys and or change.
3) hybrid top cap problem
4) batteries with damaged wraps / shitty Chinese batteries (usually have "fire" in the name) used by people who don't know any better
I can see #3 happening to anyone but the others is just plain stupidity.

1) Why risk your laptop to charge anything let alone high power devices? Adapters are often less than a $1 and can be bought at probably any Walmart.

2) Um, those batteries have wrappers that clearly weren't designed for consumer product use. Like any other commercial or industrial product being used for consumer purposes like a commercial deli grade electric meat slicer at home means learning about safety risks rather than assuming it is idiot proof. 20A is enough to trip a 120V circuit in a home. That means more current than refrigerators and some washing machines jingling around in the pocket. Put 30A batteries that have a Mooch Vape rating near 40A and that is enough current to trip a 240V hard wired electric stove or dryer. Make a short with four spare batteries and you might have enough current to trip the main breaker in some older homes. These analogies of what 20, 40, and 100A is equivalent to needs to be used more often so people stop loosely jingling them around not having a context to compare those numbers to.

4) Chinese knockoffs. If that needs to be explained to someone why they should learn more about that first before taking risks on anything and not just batteries, it is probably better to just give them their Darwin Award in advance.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Right, so it's about 99% user error.

Even the hybrid top cap is user error because it is an advanced mech mod that should only be used by people who know what works with them.

But it is the only one out of the four that could be taken care of really easily.

it's like diketones in eliquid:
it's an avoidable, unnecessary risk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Even that should be reasonably safe if someone gets 30A LG, Sony, or Samsung batteries and seeks help from places like:
http://vapingunderground.com/forums/unregulated-mechanical-mods.406/

Of course not many teenagers are wise enough to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if he bought his on eBay with a battery labeled 40A but Mooch tests at 10A.
Nope any tank with a sliding 510 pin and or factory coils that can pinch the coil leads thru the silicone grommet or do not have protruding 510 pins can cause even a GOOD battery to vent causing the atomizer to violently shoot from the mod and spew 1,000 degree fire out.
Most mechanical tube mods do not have sufficient venting for a full blown battery venting event.

NO lithium battery except for the ones with internal protection will handle shorts well.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And those beast tanks are a very bad choice to put on a hybrid mech mods as they have a history of coil wires getting pinched thru the grommet.

VU Sponsors