Paperclip, an important vaping tool?

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For years I've been using a very important tool to prolong the life of my cartos; the lowly paperclip! When my cartos get clogged to the point of being unvapeable, I use a straightened paperclip to run through the airflow tube and up through the middle of the coils, starting with the 510 end first. If you try this, be very gentle or you'll break the coils. When I meet resistance I'll twist the car to as I pass the wire through and kinda screw the wire in. Once through, I check to make sure I'm still in the airflow tube by looking at it from the drop top end. The wire will sometimes missfeed and come out in the polyfill. When this happens, i back up and adjust my direction slightly to center the wire through the tube. After centering, I'll slide the wire back and forth to work the gunk out of the airtube. This usually adds another day or 2 to the vapability of the carto.

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I did this all the time when I was using cartos. It definitely is a great idea and I found all kinds of gunk coming out of the center that I wiped onto a paper towel. It allowed me to get a LOT more use out of them, I often cleaned them more than once. I only wrecked one, but since it was ready for the trash anyway, I really didn't lose anything!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, that beats shaving down a pipe cleaner! I have 2 pipe cleaners that I shaved almost bare to try to get more gunk than the paperclip could get. Have you ever tried to shave a pipe cleaner? Well, let me tell what a tedious pain in the arse it is! They work, but I just wish you'd have told me about those brushes about 4 years ago! Thanks for the tip!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've also tried the boil and alcohol soak methods, but found them too time consuming to spend on a $2 item.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Anyone know the resistance on a pipe cleaner? Their pre wicked and everything!
LMFAO! That's a good one!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Those things look like they may be great for cleaning my coils after a dry burn!

Back to paper clips again, I used to use them all the time to remove the cap from my cartos for filling while I still used them. Worked great!

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sure, maybe a little pricey, but this "Master e-Cig Repair Tool" can also be used.

"warning product might be banned in your area , check with local law prior to ordering this item"
LOL

Holy frukn shite! I bought 100 for less than $5! The seller said they were the real deal, but at that price point, do think I got clones? DAMN IT! I knew I should have checked closer. Well, I guess that's what I get for listening to some snot nosed kid behind the counter of a b&m! Hell, it wasn't even a vape shop!..............RANT.........RAnt..........rant............etc......

RoccoV

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, that beats shaving down a pipe cleaner! I have 2 pipe cleaners that I shaved almost bare to try to get more gunk than the paperclip could get. Have you ever tried to shave a pipe cleaner? Well, let me tell what a tedious pain in the arse it is! They work, but I just wish you'd have told me about those brushes about 4 years ago! Thanks for the tip!
I tried that as well. the problem is the wire they twist it too thick of a gauge.

RoccoV

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Those things look like they may be great for cleaning my coils after a dry burn!

Back to paper clips again, I used to use them all the time to remove the cap from my cartos for filling while I still used them. Worked great!
Works well for that as well. Nice and small to get between the post and wick.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I keep a paper clip in my desk at work, in my travel kit, and until i realized they'd just fall off or become too bent to be used, i used to put a couple on my key chain. Fuckers are the duct tape of the vaping world. They clean, they poke, they prod, they pry, and i thread them into ReadyxWick and wrap my coils that way.

PondScum

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Paper Clips, Qtips and Vapor Towels...They work great to pull the positive pin up on certain batteries.

Reactions: jae

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I tried that as well. the problem is the wire they twist it too thick of a gauge.
After shaving them down, I tighten the twists by grabbing the end with pliers and twisting to just about where it's going to start kinking. I then sharpen the pointy end to make it guide through the coils without grabbing.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh. My. God.
I can NOT believe it - but you may have purchased cloned clips.
If they are legit, they will have the logo ("JV" for Johan Vaaler, the inventor and rightful beneficiary of paperclip technology). And real paperclips, manufactured in the U.S. will of course be made of surgical steel, and of course will have the proper transition from the abbott point to the hemicircular returner (fig 2, below).
007_vertical_line.png

Paperclip.gif

It's really a shame you got taken.
It's like buying "staples" at Office Depot!
It's like using a "zipper" that doesn't have a YKK logo! (made ya look!)
It's like using generic "nylon hook" material to save the Velcro licensing fee.
What IS the world coming to?!?!?

Holy frukn shite! I bought 100 for less than $5! The seller said they were the real deal, but at that price point, do think I got clones? DAMN IT! I knew I should have checked closer. Well, I guess that's what I get for listening to some snot nosed kid behind the counter of a b&m! Hell, it wasn't even a vape shop!..............RANT.........RAnt..........rant............etc......

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

Me too!

I use a small paperclip with one end straightened to widen the hole in dropper bottles. It's just the right diameter for that. Then the bottle can make separate drops or a steady stream.

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I literally just spent 10 mins rummaging around in junk drawers looking for a pipe cleaner to test on my ohms reader. But found none.

I found some old twist ties though, a 4 inch one came out to 0.22 ohms. looks like 28 gauge wire used in it.
hmm...new coil opportunities?

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
never mind. I got the metal all clean, then tried heating it to 100 watts but it melted after a second or two and pieces of molten metal dripped to the floor. Glowed nicely at 50 watts though :p

VU Sponsors