Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
The title looks bad guys but this is actually good. Read on...

http://www.wgal.com/news/pennsylvania-lawmaker-proposes-tax-to-help-vape-shops-stay-open/41105720

"A Pennsylvania lawmaker is proposing a tax of 5 cents per milliliter to help vape shops stay open.

Many store owners are worried they will have to close their doors because they will have to pay a 40 percent tax on all of their existing inventory, starting October 1.

The proposed 5 cents per milliliter tax would take place of the 40 percent tax."

5 cents per ml of eliquid is WAY better than 40% of everything in the entire shop. Right? - 5150

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
you see that makes much more sense
you sell 1000000 time smore juice then mods and
5 cents on a mil is nothing for most people, for some it may drive them to DIY
but the smart stores should already be selling DIY supplies

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Problem is there will be a 40% tax on new inventory and a 5 cent per mil tax on juice adding 1.50 to a 30 mil bottle and 20 dollars to a $50 dollar device. I dont think it makes any sense. Pick one. 5 cents per mile will generate much more revenue. This isn't their way of helping. It is their way of saying it looks better for you but... you are getting nailed harder now.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Problem is there will be a 40% tax on new inventory and a 5 cent per mil tax on juice adding 1.50 to a 30 mil bottle and 20 dollars to a $50 dollar device. I dont think it makes any sense. Pick one. 5 cents per mile will generate much more revenue. This isn't their way of helping. It is their way of saying it looks better for you but... you are getting nailed harder now.

read it again carefully.
they are proposing a 5 cent per ml tax INSTEAD of the 40% tax.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
As much as I hate taxes, this is way better. I could even live with a 5%-10% federal tax if they just make the FDA shit go away, they get the money they really want, and we get to keep on keeping on like usual.

SantosPerea

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
"By the time this is even pushed to somewhat of an important state shops will have already shut their doors. I know at least a dozen shop owners selling off there inventory so they can close shop. The american dream is suicide now. Get into business only to get screwed to the hand of the corrupt gov. Remember to VOTE people. Vote for your presidents, vote for your local and state legislation. We need to end this corruption of money and greed."

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Remember to VOTE people. Vote for your presidents, vote for your local and state legislation.
And thereby give them my explicit consent to pass more arbitrary and capricious laws?

We need to end this corruption of money and greed

TkdHCEX.jpg

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
read it again carefully.
they are proposing a 5 cent per ml tax INSTEAD of the 40% tax.
5150 I love your posts and I agree if you read what you read yes instead of 40% up front you pay 5cents per mil. Two paragraphs down you see this.

"Businesses selling electronic cigarettes will also have to pay a 40 percent tax on any new inventory they purchase"

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As I read this her is what pa is doing to us.

Store buys $10 30ml bottle.
Pays $4 in tax on new inventory.
Then $1.50 because it is 30ml.

$10 bottle in other states
$15.50 in pa. And this is before the markup so the shop can stay in business.

I am 100% sure politicians just pulled a fast one as everyone is cheering.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I know the guy who worked hard on getting this done.
He is a PA vendor.
Does this story help make it more clear?

http://www.commonwealthfoundation.o...-e-cigarette-tax-could-ax-300-shops-1500-jobs

Now, one lawmaker is moving to save shop owners like Hughes from losing their livelihoods. Rep. Jeff Wheeland (R-Williamsport) plans to introduce legislation to replace the 40 percent tax with a 5-cents-per-milliliter tax, similar to what exists in North Carolina and Louisiana.

“This isn’t simply business owners concerned with a slight tax increase,” Hughes said. “This is literally our businesses, our livelihoods, and our employees’ livelihoods being crushed. Imagine if you were told that on October 1, you would have to pay a 40 percent tax on everything you own. This is a bullseye on our specific industry, and I’m glad lawmakers realize this and are working to reverse it.”

Fuck it, the story already tells you who the vendor is - Chris Hughes of Fat Cat Vapor Shop is working with Rep. Jeff Wheeland to replace the 40 percent tax with a 5-cents-per-milliliter tax

This needs to (and can) happen by October 1st.

Ask Chris Hughes about it directly if you do not believe me

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...blic.cfm?chamber=H&SPick=20150&cosponId=20574

MEMORANDUM
Posted: August 5, 2016 01:37 PM
To: All House members
Subject: E-Cig Vaping – Protecting Lives and Livelihoods Legislation

As part of the 2016-17 budget, this General Assembly passed a 40 percent tax on electronic cigarettes and vaping. Unbeknownst to many, this punitive tax on current inventory has many of Pennsylvania's 300 vape shops ready to close their doors before the tax takes effect on October 1.

If these small businesses do decide to close and lay off workers, not only will the new vape tax revenues fall short of estimates, but the state may lose significant sales and income tax revenues.

Moreover, several health policy experts have deemed vaping a safer alternative to cigarettes as it allows many smokers to scale back their nicotine habit. Higher vaping prices and shop closures take away this path to quitting.

For these reasons, I am introducing legislation that replaces the 40 percent tax with a 5-cents-per-milliliter tax as implemented in North Carolina and Louisiana. My proposal will protect our small business owners, generate tax revenue, and keep cigarette alternatives on the market.

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do not see anything about new inventory as i did in the wgal article. I am going to try to contact wheeland's office and get clarification. My fear is that they are going to make the tax even harsher.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I do not see anything about new inventory as i did in the wgal article. I am going to try to contact wheeland's office and get clarification. My fear is that they are going to make the tax even harsher.

If you hear back from them can you please come back and let us know what they say?

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The 5 cents a ML tax would be the lesser of the the two evils, however you need to consider that the lawmakers who passed the 40% tax don't want to simply gather revenue, they want to kill off independent vaping in PA and hand it to big tobacco. The lawmakers knew full well that such a draconian tax plus actual criminal penalties for the end users buying off the net was going to kill vape shops and the vape industry in PA.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The 5 cents a ML tax would be the lesser of the the two evils, however you need to consider that the lawmakers who passed the 40% tax don't want to simply gather revenue, they want to kill off independent vaping in PA and hand it to big tobacco. The lawmakers knew full well that such a draconian tax plus actual criminal penalties for the end users buying off the net was going to kill vape shops and the vape industry in PA.
I'm confident that the people who wrote wrote it did, but I'm less that convinced that many of the legislators understood that when they voted for it. Remember, this was part of a big package of budget stuff..

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
while i can agree with that logic
it could have also been a meniacle plan to get the 5 cents per ml passed and have people happy about it
pass a horrible tax
replace it with a tax thats not as bad and people are happy and being taxted on a product they were never taxed on before AND the lawmakers who led the charge for the change come out looking like heroes of the people

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
while i can agree with that logic
it could have also been a meniacle plan to get the 5 cents per ml passed and have people happy about it
pass a horrible tax
replace it with a tax thats not as bad and people are happy and being taxted on a product they were never taxed on before AND the lawmakers who led the charge for the change come out looking like heroes of the people

This exact thing happened in Washington State and when I tried to explain this to them they acted like I was some tin foil hat conspiracy nut.
I am...:bliss: but not about the draconian tax that was on the table in WA.

They put the worst possible scenario on the table first, then as soon as the trade groups agreed to the lesser of two evils the lawmakers got exactly what they wanted all along and vapers acted like the lawmakers were doing them a huge favor.

Shit, some of those stupid vapers are going to end up voting for those con artists (again) over it.

Last edited:

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After speaking with wheeland's office. The memorandum posted here will completely replace the 40% inventory tax not just the existing inventory tax. I apologize and stand corrected.

Vape on everyone.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This exact thing happened in Washington State and when I tried to explain this to them they acted like I was some tin foil hat conspiracy nut.
I am...:bliss: but not about the draconian tax that was on the table in WA.

They put the worst possible scenario on the table first, then as soon as the trade groups agreed to the lesser of two evils the lawmakers got exactly what they wanted tall along and vapers acted like the lawmakers were doing them a huge favor.

Shit, some of those stupid vapers are going to end up voting for those con artists (again) over it.

I've thought all along that this was EXACTLY what the FDA has in mind -- this deeming shit that effectively kills 99% of the entire vape industry... so we all panic like crazy people or like PERSECUTED people... then they come back and say, ok, well, we won't ban it then, we'll just tax it... and everyone hollers for joy, vaping is saved! But it costs as much, or nearly as much, as smoking.

Machiavellian? Yep. That's our gov't.

Andria

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Proper Planning & Preparation Prevents Panic. :)

True! My panic consisted of acquiring 3 liters of nicotine for my freezer, 300ml of shisha strawberry, and securing a considerable quantity of PG & VG as well, just in case of higher prices. But yesterday I learned that I can no longer get the Blueberry Muffin ejuice I'm so fond of, from Sweet-Vapes; the great beauty of that juice was that they customized the PG/VG per order, and that of course is exactly the kind of thing that the deeming prevents. So I guess I'll have to work harder at trying to come up with a good recipe, if I want to vape anything blueberry. I've got a little left of the Blueberry Muffin, but not a great deal.

Andria

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
After speaking with wheeland's office. The memorandum posted here will completely replace the 40% inventory tax not just the existing inventory tax. I apologize and stand corrected.

Vape on everyone.

:bunny: This is VERY good news. Thank you for checking in to it for everyone. :bunny:

mattdarat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
All my fellow vapers is PA this is not amended yet. Do as i have and call you local representatives and either talk to them or arrange for an in person meet to explain what vaping has done to you and what the tax will do to us if it isn't amended.

VU Sponsors