Become a Patron!

Peppermint flavor substitute

HeavyHook

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm pretty new to the vaping scene. I have been DIY mixing my juice for about a month now. I really like the Flavour Arts Peppermint I have been mixing except for the PG content that's in it. I especially enjoy the vaping experience but not the throat hit. So my mix ends up 70%VG + 20% FA Peppermint + 10% Vodka. To that total, I add whatever amount of nicotine I decide to use at that time that is also VG based. I can not find a Peppermint flavoring for the life of me that's PG free. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a Peppermint flavoring that's PG free? One option I have been considering is purchasing pure 100% Peppermint Oil extract to use in my vape mix. I'm really not sure if the 100% oil extract would be unhealthy or not to use in my mixes? I just don't want to make a mistake and whip up a vape mix that would be poisonous! Thanks for your input everyone!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The throat hit could be that you’re using 20% of Fa Peppermint. Most peeps mix Fa at lower percentages like 2-4% for example. IMHO, YMMV.

HeavyHook

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The throat hit could be that you’re using 20% of Fa Peppermint. Most peeps mix Fa at lower percentages like 2-4% for example. IMHO, YMMV.
I started out making 10ml test batches and worked my way up to the 20% flavoring % before I was able to get good flavor in my vape. I'm sure the PG init is what is causing the throat hit that I do not desire, Thanks so much for your input!

HeavyHook

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, Heartsdelight, Hellcatrydr, and HeadinClouds for the weblinks and the info on using pure Peppermint Oil. I actually have had a bottle of it around for several years. It works great on cotton balls placed around the baseboards to repel spiders. Heartsdelight, I'm sure glad I ask about that before I mixed a batch of juice out of it! I will defiantly check out the links you both provided and see if I can find what I am looking for. HappyHolidays to everyone that helped out !!!!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Don't ever vape oil. Bad bad bad for your lungs, leading to lipoid pneumonia.

If you want less throat hit, why in the world are you including vodka? Alcohol in any mix will increase TH.

Also 20% of any one flavor is much too much -- I end up with 25% flavoring, but it's 6 different flavors combined. i'd recommend knocking it down to no more than 10% of that flavor, and dropping the alcohol completely.

Andria

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One option I have been considering is purchasing pure 100% Peppermint Oil extract to use in my vape mix. I'm really not sure if the 100% oil extract would be unhealthy or not to use in my mixes? I just don't want to make a mistake and whip up a vape mix that would be poisonous!

Over at "the other place" they had a thread called "Using Oil Flavorings with VG (Specifically, Peppermint Oil)" (Google will also show you where)
You may find it interesting reading.

Unlike the aroma therapy crowd, my take is that there is no good evidence one way or the other regarding safety. It could be dependent of how much is being consumed and for how long. It's not for me.

What's safe or unhealthy? See: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/diy-disclaimer-for-eliquid.125/

Ron
---
"Where the senses fail us, reason must step in."- Galileo Galilei

HeavyHook

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
[Q
UOTE="AndriaD, post: 1997329, member: 2667"]Don't ever vape oil. Bad bad bad for your lungs, leading to lipoid pneumonia.

If you want less throat hit, why in the world are you including vodka? Alcohol in any mix will increase TH.
Also, 20% of any one flavor is much too much -- I end up with 25% flavoring, but it's 6 different flavors combined. i'd recommend knocking it down to no more than 10% of that flavor, and dropping the alcohol completely.

Andria[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Andria for your input. As far as the percentage of flavoring to use in a DYI mix as mentioned, I have been using the Flavour Arts brand of Peppermint. It's not indicated on the label what strength of flavoring/extract is being used only that it is PG based. I started out making test batches first with 2, 5,10,15 then 20 percent in my mix until I got the flavor profile I like. I also use a vape mix of Menthol only but in that one 10% produces really good flavor for me. From my way of thinking is why in the world vape something that you don't enjoy. I might as well go back to smoking 4-5 cigars a day. I could care less about the big clouds that vaping produces, even though its cool to look at.That's not the reason I vape at all. I had read somewhere on these forums to use vodka or distilled water in high VG mixes to help thin it down so it flows better through the cotton to the coils. I haven't tried the distilled water yet but will because of your suggestion give it a try. I actually considered what effect Vodka would have on the vape mix. I concluded it would most like just evaporate away and since it really doesn't have much flavor on its own, and wouldn't dilute the flavor profile. I will try distilled water and see if it smooths my mix out for me. I really appreciate everyone's input and will take it all into account when developing my vape mixes.
RonJ thanks you for your input and the link to health effects of vaping. I am really enjoying this journey. Kind of makes you feel a little bit like a mad scientist, LOL. Its very interesting experimenting making my own vaping mixes.I'm not sure how much the vaping equipment has on all this. I started out with an 80-watt Eleafe mod topped with a Smok BabyBeast running a .15 coil. Then I picked up a Smok 220 watt Ailen and a BigBaby Beast tank running a .4 coil. I have in the mail a Therion DNA75C BF Squoker mod and a Pulse 24mm RDA to run on it. I'm really looking forward to using a Squoker!!
I apologize for making this post so long guys, I hope everyone has a great New Years Eve and of course a safe one!!!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thank you, Andria for your input. As far as the percentage of flavoring to use in a DYI mix as mentioned, I have been using the Flavour Arts brand of Peppermint. It's not indicated on the label what strength of flavoring/extract is being used only that it is PG based. I started out making test batches first with 2, 5,10,15 then 20 percent in my mix until I got the flavor profile I like. I also use a vape mix of Menthol only but in that one 10% produces really good flavor for me. From my way of thinking is why in the world vape something that you don't enjoy. I might as well go back to smoking 4-5 cigars a day. I could care less about the big clouds that vaping produces, even though its cool to look at.That's not the reason I vape at all. I had read somewhere on these forums to use vodka or distilled water in high VG mixes to help thin it down so it flows better through the cotton to the coils. I haven't tried the distilled water yet but will because of your suggestion give it a try. I actually considered what effect Vodka would have on the vape mix. I concluded it would most like just evaporate away and since it really doesn't have much flavor on its own, and wouldn't dilute the flavor profile. I will try distilled water and see if it smooths my mix out for me. I really appreciate everyone's input and will take it all into account when developing my vape mixes.

Totally agree about the clouds! And also about the taste -- it SHOULD be something you like the taste of, which is why I started DIY and why I use so much flavoring -- that 25% is down considerably from the 31% I started at, when my tastebuds were still 95% comatose from 39 yrs of smoking. :D Everyone gives me grief about using so much flavoring, but my response is that I'm not making it for THEM, I'm making it for ME -- so if you like the 20% peppermint, then stick with it; however it *might* give you more TH than you seem to care for. Maybe something like 15% peppermint, with 1% menthol and 1% koolada? Some flavors do odd things when you use too high a percentage; I've learned to counter that sort of thing by mixing several different versions of a similar flavor -- for instance, my strawberry & cream has both Dx bavarian cream and Vanilla Swirl, a custardy kind of flavor that isn't terribly different from the bavarian -- at least, using those 2 together gives a really solid custard flavor, and both are diketone-free.

It's true that grain alcohol can serve to thin high-VG mixes, but it really does increase throat hit -- that's one of the ways that's generally suggested when someone wants more TH, though it was a non-starter for me, as a recovering alcoholic. ;) Just consider how grain alcohol feels on your throat, when you knock back a shot. ;) Try the distilled water; I tried it once, and it does serve to thin down VG, but it also causes a lot of popping, which I didn't care for -- but I *like* good TH, so I just went back to very high PG.

Andria

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

HeavyHook

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks, RonJ for the links! I followed them and to others that had tons of info on vaping flavor extracts {OILS} specifically plus 100% Peppermint extract which I am interested in.
I discovered that Peppermint Extract {Oil} can contain Menthyl Acetate, Menthone, Cineole, Limonene, Phellandrene, Pinene, and Beta-Caryophyllene none of which have been connected or shown to cause any adverse health effects from vaping them. Specifically, the possibility of getting "LIPOID PNEUMONIA" from vaping oil extracts is not possible as was suggested by another poster in this thread."QUOTE" Bad bad bad for your lungs, leading to lipoid pneumonia". During the refining process, the liquid is brought to 100c and the steam from that is condensed into the liquid that we call 100% pure extract. The Lipoids that are contained in the original liquid mash which only turns into steam at 250c which the distillation process never reaches. Therefore Lipoids are not in the final product, they are discarded in the mash and not in the oil extract.
It's extremely comforting to be able to get the information to make an informed and educated decision on what I intend to mix in my vape. I just can't thank everyone enough.
On another note, on the answer regarding mixing by weight. I did do some research on the forums before I started DYI mixing and purchased an American Weigh Scales LB-501 Digital Kitchen Scale that measures down to a 0.00gram. The scale has been worth every penny it cost and was defiantly a great investment.
Again Thanks to everyone that responded. I'm totally overwhelmed to have had so much help with making my decisions, this is really a great community to be a part of !!!

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find a Peppermint flavoring that's PG free?
https://www.vapingzone.com/Peppermint-Concentrated-Flavor/pid-606.html

Alcohol based, doubt I'd try it at 20% though:D

BTW I'd try dropping the 10% vodka your adding cause it can also cause more TH.
(This is a trick used by some to add more TH)

If you need to thin out High VG some use Distilled Water instead.
I vape 70PG/30VG, 3ml NIC and don't have any problems with TH, although I'm an MTL vape style person.
And if you are a DL vaper, just a hint, your taste buds are in the mouth, not in the lungs.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors