Become a Patron!

Pistachio Ice Cream

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like this version much better after a 10 day steep. CAPs VBIC needs a long steep to really get that melted ice cream thing going on and the FA Pistachio to really mellow into it.(Added above it the OP)
Pistachio(FA) .5%
VBIC(CAP) 5%
Sweet Cream(CAP) 1%
Marzipan(FA) .5%
Vanilla Classic(FA) .5%
Note to self: **Order the pistachio...you...idiot...** ...:oops:
I'll bet it would be good if you replaced Pistachio with FA Hazelnut @ .5%;)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Turn my hazelnut into pistachio, oh Mix Wizard, and I will be giddy....:D

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Turn my hazelnut into pistachio, oh Mix Wizard, and I will be giddy....:D
Working on it.
200.gif

Tcar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Did up your original mix back on Valentines day. Really quite nice after a good steep. Thank you. Will have to get some CAP VBIC for this & other things soon.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did up your original mix back on Valentines day. Really quite nice after a good steep. Thank you. Will have to get some CAP VBIC for this & other things soon.
Thank you. I left it as posted.

StanleySpadowski

VU Donator
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm gonna have to try this again with CAP VBIC cause it wasn't too good with FW version. Pistachio was too strong but since CAP is a stronger cream I'm assuming that will mute it down some.

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm gonna have to try this again with CAP VBIC cause it wasn't too good with FW version. Pistachio was too strong but since CAP is a stronger cream I'm assuming that will mute it down some.
Remember to shake daily and give it 8-10 days to steep. Don't go over .5% Pistachio. Pistachio IS a strong one and if you still find it too strong after using CAPs VBIC, stay between .25 and the low side of .5%.
I never tried FW VBIC, but from what I understand, it needs to be used at higher %'s. Maybe somebody can chime in and give some insight.

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Pistachio(FA) .5%

Does anyone know how TFA Pistachio compares to FA's? I have FA on my BCV wish list so I can try this recipe exact, but I do have TFA's version which is pretty darn good. It has a creamy texture to it. Sort of reminds me of a pistachio pudding. Is FA's like this?

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Does anyone know how TFA Pistachio compares to FA's? I have FA on my BCV wish list so I can try this recipe exact, but I do have TFA's version which is pretty darn good. It has a creamy texture to it. Sort of reminds me of a pistachio pudding. Is FA's like this?

Just got some TFA recently and wondering what it's like as I haven't tried it yet.
What did you make with it, if I may be so bold?

submoa

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I tried CAP VBIC in Gambit clone recipe and it has strong chemical taste at 5%.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I tried CAP VBIC in Gambit clone recipe and it has strong chemical taste at 5%.

Many CAP flavors need a longer steep time, did you steep at all?
Possibly other flavors causing this too.

submoa

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Many CAP flavors need a longer steep time, did you steep at all?
Possibly other flavors causing this too.

Steeped 5 days. I will try again in 10 days. VBIC (CAP) and Pie crust (TFA) were two new flavor I tried in this recipe. But pie crust was low at 2%.
Ill revisit it again in one week.

I will try it in this recipe also. But some people says not to go over 4% with CBIC (CAP).

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Steeped 5 days. I will try again in 10 days. VBIC (CAP) and Pie crust (TFA) were two new flavor I tried in this recipe. But pie crust was low at 2%.
Ill revisit it again in one week.

I will try it in this recipe also. But some people says not to go over 4% with CBIC (CAP).
CAPs VBIC definitely needs a good 8-10 day steep. Lower it to 4% if you feel that's right for your taste. Recipes are only
guides.;)

KGuardian

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just got some TFA recently and wondering what it's like as I haven't tried it yet.
What did you make with it, if I may be so bold?

I mixed it as a single flavor at 9% and it was good. After about a week it started getting creamy. I read on another forum 8-10% so I chose the middle ground. I haven't tried mixing it with anything else yet.

submoa

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
CAPs VBIC definitely needs a good 8-10 day steep. Lower it to 4% if you feel that's right for your taste. Recipes are only
guides.;)

You are right. Will give it a try as it is in the recipe and also 4%. Thanks! :)

Linger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't have FA pistachio but I do have TFA pistachio. How close are they in both taste and percentages?

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't have FA pistachio but I do have TFA pistachio. How close are they in both taste and percentages?
I never tried TFA pistachio, but my experience with TFA, I would try 1-2% and add more if needed. Hopefully someone will chime in.

JuicyJade

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ohhhh how I LOVE me some pistachio:p:D:p I'm going to mix this up right now! Thank you!

chief63

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Made a sample last week and its good. Pistachio is pretty potent and tasty. I've tried Marzipan a few times now and think its just a little too bitter for me. Maybe regular Almond. Going to make another batch with a hint of Coconut mentioned above. Thanks for the recipe.

JuicyJade

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought the pistachio came on strong as well, so I'm going to make another batch using some coconut and vanilla bourbon as suggested above :) Great recipe though thanks @Squonk ! Question.. Would I be able to add those 2 flavors in the same mixed batch?

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I thought the pistachio came on strong as well, so I'm going to make another batch using some coconut and vanilla bourbon as suggested above :) Great recipe though thanks @Squonk ! Question.. Would I be able to add those 2 flavors in the same mixed batch?
I would suggest letting it steep at least 10 days. You can add extra flavors in low amounts, it will just lower your Nic a tad and increase your pg a little. Or lower the pistachio if you make another batch.

JuicyJade

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would suggest letting it steep at least 10 days. You can add extra flavors in low amounts, it will just lower your Nic a tad and increase your pg a little. Or lower the pistachio if you make another batch.

I steeped it in the UC for 2 hrs. But in all honesty, I may have gone over on most of the flavors and base lol.. it was one of my first mixes :oops: I'm going for a do-over lol:D

sampleit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
well tried this after ten days was really good but needed to be a little sweeter for me, i then separated my initial 50ml i mixed and tweaked i added 0.5 fa almond (more prominent in real pistachio ice cream) 0.5 fa caramel and few drops of sucralose. i then forgot about it and 3 weeks later...boom!!! i got custard notes without the egg when i initially tasted this so now thinking this may improve even more with a good month steep like cap van custard, which i tend to need 8 weeks for my tastes.
thank for this squonk, your mango cookie is still in my rotation!!!!

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
well tried this after ten days was really good but needed to be a little sweeter for me, i then separated my initial 50ml i mixed and tweaked i added 0.5 fa almond (more prominent in real pistachio ice cream) 0.5 fa caramel and few drops of sucralose. i then forgot about it and 3 weeks later...boom!!! i got custard notes without the egg when i initially tasted this so now thinking this may improve even more with a good month steep like cap van custard, which i tend to need 8 weeks for my tastes.
thank for this squonk, your mango cookie is still in my rotation!!!!
I like the idea of a tad of FA Almond. And it's most definitely a steeper, especially if using CAPs VBIC. I think I'll mix up some Mango Cookie this weekend. Thanks for the reminder.;)

gettygas2

Member For 4 Years
Between you and Hic I went and ordered pistachio:) I spent to much My wife going to kill me lol
good thing she loves pistachio ice cream ;)
TIA

VU Sponsors