Become a Patron!

Pizza Dave Delivers - A kit review - The Simple EX by Vandy Vape

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello everyone, Pizza Dave here, delivering you a review of the Simple EX kit by Vandy Vape. The Simple EX is a compact, SIMPLE, MTL squonking device, which is operated by a built in 850mah battery. This operates on voltage rather than wattage, so the combination of the build and the voltage setpoint dictate the warmth of the vape. It is tiny, it is easy to use, and it is an excellent combo for on the go. I will dive down, take a look at the mod and included rda, and as always give my final thoughts down at the bottom.

DISCLAIMER: This device was supplied by Vandy Vape for review.

WHAT YOU GET

• 1 Simple EX Squonk Mod
  • 1 Simple EX Rda
  • 1 Stainless Steel Top Cap
  • 1 Clear (matching) Top Cap
  • 1 Clear 510 Drip Tip
  • 1 Delrin 510 Drip Tip
  • 1 Instruction Manual
  • Spare Parts Bag
  • 2 1.24-ohm Superfine Clapton Coils

Available in Blue, Green, Ultem, Pink, and Black.

PACKAGING
4325rVI.jpg

OUT OF BOX
4bR0pTS.jpg

STOCK SHOT
mH0UIEQ.png

FEATURES

The Simple EX is indeed a simple device. It is an absolutely tiny device, with just enough to keep it versatile, yet easy to use. It features adjustable voltage from 3.3-4.2V and changes in .3-volt increments. It also comes with a built-in 850mah battery, which has surprisingly good battery life. The last feature is a 4ml squonk bottle. That is, it! It is simple, and that is a win in itself. Anybody who has built their own coils before will have no issues setting this up and operating it. The only real caveat is that it only operates above .80-ohms, so some care must be given to the type of wire used to ensure it is built in this higher resistance range.

OPERATION

Operating this device is very basic. 5 clicks on, 5 clicks off, and press the up and down buttons to adjust the voltage. The screen is displayed only when hitting a button, which is one of the only cons I could find on the device. The battery is indicated across the top in bars, and the voltage is indicated right below. The battery is internal, so it is charged by plugging into a micro usb. The squonk bottle is hidden behind a clear magnetic cover and is easily removable. For something so simple, they pretty much thought of everything. It is joy to use and leaves little to figure out as you go.

MISCELLANEOUS PHOTOS

Kff91mT.jpg

Ir96jXr.jpg

b71IufW.jpg

8732mc3.jpg

BkcVuWT.jpg

4l6CmEQ.jpg

HOW IT VAPES

The main aspect of how this vapes is to consider the type of vape it is geared for. With the included rda, this is 100% an MTL device. It has lower heat, a restricted draw, and consumes small amounts of liquid and battery. The included rda does the trick for MTL and is one of my favorite MTL rdas to come out. It has few cons, and lots of pros. I never went away from using this rda much during review but found this operated my Galaxies MTL with no issues, just as long as I had a coil in it that was high enough to be compatible. As for the mod itself, I had no issues with the buttons, the squonk bottom, or the form factor.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SIMPLE EX RDA REVIEW

The included Simple EX rda is a 21mm, single coil rda, geared for MTL vaping. It has a wide range of draw and is adjusted by turning the top cap to align with a series of holes which range from a pin hole, to about 1mm (just guessing here). The smallest holes are a very tight draw, while the largest hole is just on the cusp of a restricted lung hit. I usually ran mine in the middle road, and the vape that it provides is very nice. Flavor is good, and the vapor is minimal. Those two things are some of my biggest pros to mtl vaping. There are several times when I just don’t want to blow big clouds and burn up boat loads of liquid. This provides a satisfying vape, and I can run it all day long without refills or battery charging. I used a couple of different salt nic liquids during review, and this puts out much more flavor than any of the pod systems I’ve tested leading up to this review.

Since this is rebuildable I do want to touch on it a bit. The deck isn’t perfect. The posts are an open face style as seen on several rdas of this type, but with it comes a few complications. On a couple of my builds, the coil wanted to roll out from under the screw and required me to hold it in place a bit more than usual until it was secure. Not a deal breaker at all, as it only happened a couple of times. Wicking is as simple as snip and tuck, with very little to go wrong here.

Squonking with this rda is a bit touchy. The juice well ends up being pretty much full of cotton, so it needs to be squonked a bit more often than I like. However, one must learn when the time is right because this is a bottom air flow rda. I had several occasions in the early days with this where I over squonked it and had liquid flow out of the air flow hole like a raging river. Not a fan of this since it was 25mg liquid, but I learned when the time was right, and it never happens to me now.

Overall, my experience with this rda was good, and once I figured out the squonking means I found it to be a very enjoyable MTL rda.

Side note, I think that the clear top cap has a slight flavor bump over the stainless, but I hardly used it as it was pink. I usually used the metal cap out all because of masculine reasons over flavor.

RDA PROS

• Matches the mod perfectly
  • Highly adjustable MTL air flow
  • Not too difficult to build on
  • Easy to wick
  • Squonks right into the cotton channels

RDA CONS

• Can be over-squonked if not careful
  • One sided air flow always feels weird during the draw to me

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

FINAL THOUGHTS

I received a pink model. This was unfortunate, as I can’t seem to put this thing down. I take it with me everywhere. I found that I like it so much that I modified mine to be all blacked out (see pics above). I love the low juice consumption. Love the battery life. Love how small it is. What I don’t love, is the screen has one dimly lit battery bar portion. That is about the only con I found with it. I would never market this as someone’s first squonk, unless they are mtl vapors looking to build their own vape. It is simple to use, yet it doesn’t offer a readout for the resistance and should be built on a different mod or something like a 521 tab just to ensure you have something above .8-ohms. The included coils work great in here, and I would be fine with just getting a whole bunch of these from Vandy Vape somehow. Overall, I think that it has many more pros than cons, and I officially shelfed all other pod systems and use this for all MTL vaping.

PROS

• Simple
  • Great battery life
  • Low liquid consumption
  • Good flavor from rda
  • Nice styling in my opinion
  • Portability for the win

CONS

• Mine has a dimly lit portion on the screen
  • Screen is prone to fingerprints and light scratches
  • Something this small is almost too small in a pocket and can lay sideways and leak into a pocket

Thank you all for reading this review and thank you to Vandy Vape for sending it my way for review! This is currently listed online for a price of about $40-50.

Pizza Dave – Delivering real reviews, with no extra toppings

REVIEW CRITERIA: I use each item for about two weeks to ensure I have collected enough data to adequately write a review. I use the same e liquid in tanks or rdas throughout all my reviews to ensure that I am comparing apples to apples between all modern equipment. I do not post reviews until I feel confident that I have used it enough to give an educated review. The reason I started doing reviews was due to poor purchasing decisions in my vaping infancy about two years ago. Back then, I purchased several different pieces of hardware without really enjoying it and I hope my reviews can guide people into spending their hard-earned money more wisely than I did! ****Keep in mind that some items I receive may be pre-release and not in retail packaging. Quality may be less than the finished product and what is in the package may differ from the retail package as well.

Aquaman

Member For 4 Years
After seeing a review of this I thought I could try sqonking and find out what it's like but $45+ and a 850mah battery killed it! For that price/mah point, I'll wait for something better. It should be $25-$30.

VU Sponsors