Become a Patron!

please help everything i try to mix taste gross!

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys, So I got into DIY and well I suck at it and am about to just give up I really just want to be able to mix a juice and enjoy it without having to pay for premium ejuice. Can you guys help me and give me a few good recipes using the flavors I have? I would really appreciate it. I have
Cap-tangerine
Cap-glazed doughnut
Cap-sugar cookie v2
Cap-churro
Cap-funnel cake
Cap-vanilla bean ice cream
Cap-sweet cream
Cap-butter cream
Cap-vanilla custard
Flv-crunch cereal
Fw-fruity flakes
Fw-biscotti
Fw-yellow cake
Flavourart-joy
Flavourart-cookie
Flavourart-Vienna cream
Flavourart-almond
Flavourart-bergamot
Flavourart-meringue
Flavourart-marshmallow
Flavourart-oranger
Flavor apprentice-vanilla swirl
Flavor apprentice-fruit circles
Flavor apprentice-sweetener
Flavor apprentice-cheesecake (grham crust)
Flavor apprentice-Greek yogurt
Flavor apprentice-crunch berry cereal
Flavor apprentice-ripe strawberry
Flavor apprentice-dx hazelnut
Flavor apprentice-dx frosted donut
Flavor apprentice-dx Bavarian cream
Inawera-marzipan

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hi guys, So I got into DIY and well I suck at it and am about to just give up I really just want to be able to mix a juice and enjoy it without having to pay for premium ejuice. Can you guys help me and give me a few good recipes using the flavors I have? I would really appreciate it. I have
Cap-tangerine
Cap-glazed doughnut
Cap-sugar cookie v2
Cap-churro
Cap-funnel cake
Cap-vanilla bean ice cream
Cap-sweet cream
Cap-butter cream
Cap-vanilla custard
Flv-crunch cereal
Fw-fruity flakes
Fw-biscotti
Fw-yellow cake
Flavourart-joy
Flavourart-cookie
Flavourart-Vienna cream
Flavourart-almond
Flavourart-bergamot
Flavourart-meringue
Flavourart-marshmallow
Flavourart-oranger
Flavor apprentice-vanilla swirl
Flavor apprentice-fruit circles
Flavor apprentice-sweetener
Flavor apprentice-cheesecake (grham crust)
Flavor apprentice-Greek yogurt
Flavor apprentice-crunch berry cereal
Flavor apprentice-ripe strawberry
Flavor apprentice-dx hazelnut
Flavor apprentice-dx frosted donut
Flavor apprentice-dx Bavarian cream
Inawera-marzipan

Tom's suggestion is excellent.

What is it about the juice you mix that makes it gross? Is it over-flavored? Does it need to steep for a few weeks?

You have an excellent arsenal of flavors to make some real premium juices!

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tom's suggestion is excellent.

What is it about the juice you mix that makes it gross? Is it over-flavored? Does it need to steep for a few weeks?

You have an excellent arsenal of flavors to make some real premium juices!
No I always let my juice steep 4 days to a week. And I never use over 20% flavoring. I think Instead of buying flavors for recipes that have been posted online I just jumped the gun thinking oh this and this sound good together, and not having a true understanding of the flavors in general on there own as far as what percentages for what effect and what not. I really love mixing my own juice but right now its just not working for me. It's not an easy thing. Like I want my juice to taste like something so I mix certain flavors together steep, and when I try it its just way off. You know what I mean?

Tom950

VU Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
After you add in all your flavors there is a button that says "what can i make" or you can select specific flavors and search for recipes that way as well

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I started DIY by looking for clones of commercial juices that I already like.

Another good strategy is to start with just a single flavor juice you might like.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I started DIY by looking for clones of commercial juices that I already like.

Another good strategy is to start with just a single flavor juice you might like.
Any you recommend?

we87

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Cap Vanilla Custard is IMO the tastiest custard there is. Try that single flavor at 8%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Semi Reduction

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As you're here already, I'd recommend browsing through HIC's recipes. I'd also recommend buying a few of his recipes from his site as many of them give notes on mixing and what the flavors are doing. Some of the concentrates you've listed, especially the FA ones are very strong and should be used in small percentages. E.g. 1%.

Stick at it. It takes a while, but it's well worth the learning curve, which most of us are still swerving on, yet we find some gems through our travels

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ok im gonna tell ya what you dont wantto hear

when you start you have to learn what works for YOU
you can buy every flavor on the market and have every recipe in the world in front of you and it could all taste like crap

if you really read through stuff HIC posts here you will find people who totally disagree with his percentages
while most people say they are perfect

You will see people saying I like this flavor at 8% while others say they like it at 12% and others say they like it at 4% etc etc etc

so what i woudl recommend is start with what one would call MAIN FLAVORS that you bought
so let me scroll up and look
yeah ok you got a lot
thing slike cream and almond and marshmallow ar enot main flavors to me
so lets just use Cap sugar cookie

i dont have a clue what most peole use that at but in my experiece Cap flavors are usually around 10%ish i think
someone correct me please all i do is FA flavors usually
so you want to make a sample bottle of just that say 10ml at most
you may even want to only make 3-5mls to start
and try it see how it tastes by itself you may find 10% is so weak you cant taste ut
so then make a new batch or modify what you have left of your sample mix to 12 or 14 or 15% etc
you need to know what percentage YOU like the flavor and YOU can taste it.

for example
FA mango - i think is a good flavor but i feel its POWERFULLY STRONG
i have seen recipes that call for 2-3% of it
i fi were to make those recipes i would drastically cut the mango down
the most I can use ina recipe is 1% and thats as a supporting flavor

now once you know what percentage you like a flavor at by itslef
MAKE SURE YOU WRITE THAT DOWN SO YOU KNOW
the key to making good recipes for YOU is to take notes cuz you never gonna remeber everything
you may find that you really cant find any percentage that tastes good for a flavor, or that you need a high percentage of a flavor compared to others or a lower percentage compared to others. Which is fine - you have to find what works for you.

but once you know the stand alone % you like then you can begin to add on to it
and just because you like flavpr x and 12% and flavor y at 10% doesnt not mean you will like mixing teh 2 together at those percents BUT thos epercents are a good starting point

so next step is to add 2 flavors together
and figur eout your balance for those 2
then 3 then 4 etc

its a Pita AT FIRST
BUT YOU ALSO HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHAT BRANDS AND FLAVORS YOU LIKE

for example
i said i mainly use FA why?
cuz for what i like cap and lor and TFA all suck IMHO but oteh rpeople love them

i started with wanting to make a basic peach mango flavor
i ordered tfa flavors
and they all sucked for me
then I tried LOR flavors and they all sucked for me
then tried cap flavors and they all sucked for me
then i tried FA flavors and they were perfect for me

so you may find that a particular flavor in CAP that everyone loves you hate or you prefer FA or FW or TFA version better

so you have to start simple

look at all your flavors

pick ONE flavor that you think will be good stand alone and test it out
then as others have suggested look for other recipes using that flavor and see what others are doing with it
to get ideas what you can add

but always test any flavor stand alone first
so
1. you know how strong you like it
2. so you can even tell if you like.

if you throw together 4 flavors but 1 of them sucks for you
how are you gonna know its that 1 flavor if you never tried it stand alone

once you get used to what flavors taste like by themselves
you will be able to whip some more tastier stuff up fatser easier and with less trial and error

look at others recipes for average percentages of a flavor to give you an idea of a starting point for you

in the end you may find a recipe that say calls for
12% X
8% Y
10% Z

and you knowing what you like
make it at
8% X
10% Y
and 12% Z

and you like it that way

after all you are mixing for YOU and you need to cater to YOUR tastes not someone elses - which is one of the main reasons to DIY

but the bog mistake many beginners make is they just buy teh flavors in a recipe tehy found or do like you did and just start mixing everything together. and sometimes you can do ok that way

but the best way imho is to strat with one flavor- figure out how you like that flavor. tehn repeat with other flavors
and once you knwo how you like several flavors that might work together
then start mixing them up adding one new flavor in at a time

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Can you guys help me and give me a few good recipes using the flavors I have? I would really appreciate it.

CAP Sugar Cookie v2 was crappy tasting for me, V1 is way better.
INW Biscuit, among others, is an excellent Cookie type.

For a simple one to try:
It's like an Orange Creamsicle to me.

CAP Sweet Tangerine 4-5% (4 is more creamy and 5 is a bit more orange)
CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream 3%
CAP Vanilla Custard 1%
FA Marshmallow 0.5%
CAP Sweet Cream 0.5%

Sub out the Tangerine with 7% Strawberry Ripe or most any other fruits.
BTW INW Shisha Strawberry is way better IMO and only needs 2-3%.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@vapebeast92 the way I went about making my own recipes for DIY was to start simple. Find a few stand alone flavors you like and then try mixing the finished product in small amounts like a total of 1ML in your tank. If you do not like what the result was you dump an ML or less and start over. Now after you find what is good as a stand alone you can get more creative. Good Luck

Semi Reduction

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Great advice from Mattp169.
It's easy to be lazy and not try flavours standalone. I'm very guilty of that myself. I have over a hundred flavours here and I haven't tested the majority of them standalone, but I'm trying to make the effort to do so. I've either been in the habit of adding new flavours to staple combos that I know work well, or using new flavours to complete desired recipes that I've accumulated. Either way, haphazardly using flavours this way doesn't give me a true representation of the flavour.

As Matt mentioned, to truly get an understanding of a flavour and the correct percentage for your palette, it really should be tried standalone.
I'm gonna make a concerted effort to test all of mine individually. Might take a while though!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Great advice from Mattp169.
It's easy to be lazy and not try flavours standalone. I'm very guilty of that myself. I have over a hundred flavours here and I haven't tested the majority of them standalone, but I'm trying to make the effort to do so. I've either been in the habit of adding new flavours to staple combos that I know work well, or using new flavours to complete desired recipes that I've accumulated. Either way, haphazardly using flavours this way doesn't give me a true representation of the flavour.

As Matt mentioned, to truly get an understanding of a flavour and the correct percentage for your palette, it really should be tried standalone.
I'm gonna make a concerted effort to test all of mine individually. Might take a while though!

now i will add

things like cream or almond - flavors one would NOT consider to be stand alone flavors are hard to try as stand alones and might not do you any good

but when you have a few flavors either stand alones or mixes of multiple flavors that you like and know, adding a littel cream or nuts or sweetner etc is easy to find out what it does to your recipe and if you like it.

also not everything you have needs to steep for ever to test
fruit flavors need no steeping ever
custards and creams do a bit
but you can also run into over stepping

ik use a recipe by HIC call 3 milky musketeers its chocolate chocolate choclate flavored. its great
but if the mix gets more then say a month or so old it gets rough to me
but it tastes great fresh
and improves after a few days

you do want to test things pre steeped ad after they steeped

so sometimes you make a littel extra of a new recipe even if you dont like it and let it sit for a few weeks and try it again

custards and toboccos are teh 2 main flavors that usually improve with steeping

Semi Reduction

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Actually I think creams etc, are still worth trying standalone too. In fact most of the flavours that I have tried standalone are creamy and cakey flavours as I'm all about the creamy cakey stuff. I find some creams to be disgusting. One that comes to mind is FW sweet cream. Glad I didn't destroy some good combos by throwing that in the mix

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
fair enough
im not a cream or plain ckae kinda guy
i prefer choclate peaches and apples and black licorice
thats about it

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
and not having a true understanding of the flavors in general
This is one of the keys, and it's much easier to learn them than you might think. Mixing other peoples recipes taught me more about individual flavorings than I thought it would. I learned how they work together. Seeing several recipes, and common flavorings in those, I saw what was being used to bring out A or B, or how it enhanced another flavor. ELR, as recommended is a really good tool, once you have your flavors all plugged in. Lots of REALLY good ones here, too.

Things like, using pear, or apple, or a combination of the 2 as a sweetener/enhancer, isn't something I would have figured out on my own. Brown sugar to enhance the baked taste a cookies or pies... I love to bake, but I get in a hurry and don't don't consider these things in a vape.

You chose good ones. Learn about them. In the meantime, other people's recipes will give you good juice to vape while you're learning about what you have. I was impatient, too, but because of that, I had crap to vape and thought it wasn't going to be for me.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
O wow alot of great advice, thanks everyone for taking the time to post and help me out. I guess I really need to just start trying the flavors by them selves and start learning about them. Just wish I could find a few recipes I like to mix in the mean time so I have something to vape. Looks like I have a lot to learn and even more notes to write.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
CAP Sugar Cookie v2 was crappy tasting for me, V1 is way better.
INW Biscuit, among others, is an excellent Cookie type.

For a simple one to try:
It's like an Orange Creamsicle to me.

CAP Sweet Tangerine 4-5% (4 is more creamy and 5 is a bit more orange)
CAP Vanilla Bean Ice Cream 3%
CAP Vanilla Custard 1%
FA Marshmallow 0.5%
CAP Sweet Cream 0.5%

Sub out the Tangerine with 7% Strawberry Ripe or most any other fruits.
BTW INW Shisha Strawberry is way better IMO and only needs 2-3%.
Awesome, I'm going to mix both the strawberry and tangerine version today. Thanks for this recipe I hope its good!

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
What nicotine base and strength do you use ?
oh excellent poitn
nicotine can effect the taste
some people think brand X is peppery
and brand Y is cleaner tasting etc etc

you can always make your test batches w/o nicotine to elminate that as an issue
and then when you add nic to something you actually find you like
if it tastes different you know its the nicotine changing the taste

most nic should not change flavor
but sometimes you get bad nicotine
and sometimes nicotine MAY alter the flavor

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Personally, I don't vape over 3% on flavorings. I'm a super taster. Anything over 3% will burn my tongue, or just taste nondistinctive.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could it possibly be the percentage you are mixing at?

I find some brands need a lot more than others, and the ones that don't require much can taste quite nasty if you use too much, I like my flavours strong so mix pretty high amounts of flavour in to my juice, but there is a limit that once you pass, tastes awful.

Melon for example I find takes on a very chemical like taste if you use too much.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Could it possibly be the percentage you are mixing at?

I find some brands need a lot more than others, and the ones that don't require much can taste quite nasty if you use too much, I like my flavours strong so mix pretty high amounts of flavour in to my juice, but there is a limit that once you pass, tastes awful.

Melon for example I find takes on a very chemical like taste if you use too much.
Yes I think this is a bug factor I don't know what percentages to use certain flavors but I try to keep it somewhere in the middle. Like I tried to mix a churro and ice cream mix a few days ago wanting churro to be the main flavor I used cap churro at 5%. Is this to high for thus flavor?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
ahhh now you are seeing the issue
you have no idea where to start percentages

I can tell you FA flavors 2-5% is good for main flavors and 0.5 to 1% for supporting flavors but YMMV
CAP and TFA are usually much higher 8-15% for main flavors

I would suggest trying to search teh forum or some of the istes listed above
find recipes with the main flavor you are trying to figure out as the main flavor
see what percentage that is
and start there as a standalone

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes I think this is a bug factor I don't know what percentages to use certain flavors but I try to keep it somewhere in the middle. Like I tried to mix a churro and ice cream mix a few days ago wanting churro to be the main flavor I used cap churro at 5%. Is this to high for thus flavor?
I don't honestly have experience with CAP churro, but I would imagine 5% to not be too high.(I should add I don't know what Churro actually IS lol).
It is sensible to keep it in the middle while you are experimenting, you mention it is all flavours you make that don't seem to taste right?

What VG and PG are you using, also nicotine? As I would expect at least one flavour to of tasted nice if I am honest, so I am thinking of other areas it could possibly be.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't honestly have experience with CAP churro, but I would imagine 5% to not be too high.(I should add I don't know what Churro actually IS lol).
It is sensible to keep it in the middle while you are experimenting, you mention it is all flavours you make that don't seem to taste right?

What VG and PG are you using, also nicotine? As I would expect at least one flavour to of tasted nice if I am honest, so I am thinking of other areas it could possibly be.
No I have flavors I mix that are alright sometimes. But nothing I would want to mix again or an adv if that makes sense I think its just my lack of experience not the things I'm using to mix. My vg and pg are from bullcityvapor and my Nic is vaporstek.

vapebeast92

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No I have flavors I mix that are alright sometimes. But nothing I would want to mix again or an adv if that makes sense I think its just my lack of experience not the things I'm using to mix. My vg and pg are from bullcityvapor and my Nic is vaporstek.
Ok, it could be your lack of experience, but there are a couple of flavours there that I would most likely enjoy alone-such as Cheesecake or the cereal flavour.
I haven't heard of those brands, but I guess you are in the US maybe? I am in the UK so I don't know a lot of US vendors.

Hopefully soon you will have some flavours you really like with the links provided, and will save tonnes making your own premium juice at home :).

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I find 5% is a good starting point with most TFA, CAP, & FW, but there are a few exceptions.
Support flavors like creams & vanillas can range from 0.25-5%+.
FA & INW are usually 2% to start.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing is that sometimes flavors don't mix well because of their chemical composition and may react with each other, and sometimes they overlap.
So for example if I have one flavor of the mix with butyric acid then it's fine, but if a few/all of them have butyric acid, then what I'll end up with is vomit flavored juice.

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No I always let my juice steep 4 days to a week. And I never use over 20% flavoring. I think Instead of buying flavors for recipes that have been posted online I just jumped the gun thinking oh this and this sound good together, and not having a true understanding of the flavors in general on there own as far as what percentages for what effect and what not. I really love mixing my own juice but right now its just not working for me. It's not an easy thing. Like I want my juice to taste like something so I mix certain flavors together steep, and when I try it its just way off. You know what I mean?
One thing I've realized is to never just mix together what might sound good until you understand the flavors your using. You would be surprised what flavors you can use and T what percentages to make a good juice. Definitely try e-liquid-recipes. I use it religiously

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The thing is that sometimes flavors don't mix well because of their chemical composition and may react with each other, and sometimes they overlap.
So for example if I have one flavor of the mix with butyric acid then it's fine, but if a few/all of them have butyric acid, then what I'll end up with is vomit flavored juice.
Do you know what types of flavours tend to have butyric acid in them? As this could explain why some of my mixes have come out tasting like something no one would want to vape- a kind of chemical vomit if that makes sense.

Luckily this has only happened a few times and I don't make up huge batches at a time.

IDJoel

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Do you know what types of flavours tend to have butyric acid in them?
Custards, yogarts, creams, and vanillas, are common candidates. Anything that seeks to have a "buttery" note. In particular,those flavors that are trying to avoid Diacetyl, Acetoin, and Acetyl Propionyl.

As a side note; Nude Nicotine has an educational bulletin that suggests the use of flavors with butyric acid and other dicetyls, acetoins, and/or acetyl propionyl can be putting the vaper at greater risk. You can find the bulletin here. Read and decide for yourself. I personally have found some of their "science" to be a bit questionable but they do offer a link to a more scientific document that is way over my head, so again, decide for yourself.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Custards, yogarts, creams, and vanillas, are common candidates. Anything that seeks to have a "buttery" note. In particular,those flavors that are trying to avoid Diacetyl, Acetoin, and Acetyl Propionyl.

As a side note; Nude Nicotine has an educational bulletin that suggests the use of flavors with butyric acid and other dicetyls, acetoins, and/or acetyl propionyl can be putting the vaper at greater risk. You can find the bulletin here. Read and decide for yourself. I personally have found some of their "science" to be a bit questionable but they do offer a link to a more scientific document that is way over my head, so again, decide for yourself.
Thank you :).

EDIT: (My mistake, other manufacturers were trying to imitate Hersheys chocolate which led to them using butyric acid)-I am sure I remember reading that butyric acid is added to a lot of chocolate in the USA, which gives it a slightly different flavour? Apparently Hersheys is one brand that uses this, and is also available in the UK. It does taste different to other chocolate, but I find it to taste nice-different.

So generally it is flavours that would of contained Diacetyl and other ingredients a lot of people want to avoid. I personally have not been too bothered over Diacetyl in the past due to the very small number of people that were affected during the incident we all get told about constantly.

This is something I didn't know, but really should of known the amount of time I have been making juice.

VU Sponsors