Become a Patron!

Please participate in my 10min research survey on the psychology of e-cigarette smoking cessation

Hello, You are invited to participate in my dissertation research survey on e-cigarette smoking cessation. The survey takes approximately 10 minutes and, although there is no direct benefit to your participation, this research will elucidate both clinical utility of e-cigarettes as well as benefit the study of resilience in addiction. No personal or identifying information will be collected. Your participation is voluntary, and may be discontinued at any time. For the survey, click here

tombaker

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What is your perspective on Electronic Cigarettes?
Do you believe them to be a viable alternative to tobacco cigarettes?
Do you believe that Cigarette addiction is independent from Nicotine addiction?
Do you think items like nicotine gum and patches are continuations of nicotine addiction by continuance of supply of the nicotine?
Nicotine is not a carcinogen and has risk profile most similar to daily caffeine usage, so is addiction marked by usage or does it need the component of harm to be correctly characterized as an addiction?
Is nicotine vapor the same as smoking, as some researchers claim?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's correct, finding a new home for the thread, because............

dgbg_zpsgy1xpthn.gif
:cool::D

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Do you think items like nicotine gum and patches are continuations of nicotine addiction by continuance of supply of the nicotine?
Nicotine is not a carcinogen and has risk profile most similar to daily caffeine usage, so is addiction marked by usage or does it need the component of harm to be correctly characterized as an addiction?

Thank you Tom Baker;)
All the questions swirling around in my mind when I saw this thread were already asked by you:)
And by the way we both know that most 'scientists' can not tell you what the word addiction means.
They just throw that word around because it sounds scary.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Why the fuck would I want to quit vaping?
Fuck off with that bullshit.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What kinda shit is that..... nothing but cigs question.
Dude got lost looking for a Marlboro forum

mstave

Member For 4 Years
Here is the email I sent this person, cc to his advisor:

I was willing to participate in this research, but found myself unable to answer the first set of questions. They are all phrased in the present tense, and inquire about my smoking habits and attitudes towards smoking cigarettes.

I quit smoking cigarettes about 12 months ago, after 32 years, within 4 days of starting to vape. Assuming that you designed your questions with some rigor, I cannot understand why you would ask those of us on Vaping Underground to participate, then ask questions about an activity (smoking cigarettes) in which we no longer participate.

I suggest that any data you have received is unusable, as you cannot distinguish between those responses from participants who simply assumed you were asking about the past, and those who continue to smoke and also vape, and those who only smoke, but review the Vaping Underground boards.I also suggest, from the comments placed below your request and my own visceral response, that you consider that asking those of us who no longer smoke, questions that assume we still smoke, pisses us off. We then stop participating, and post sarcastic comments.

I would again participate, should you redesign your survey. It may help to consult with someone who is a member of the vaping community.

This survey asks questions about smoking, we don't smoke!
You seem to have misread the first section which simply asked "Please answer these questions about your smoking prior to using e-cigarettes." (formatting not added).

The assumption of the entire research is that vaping allows for smoking cessation.

Here is the email I sent this person, cc to his advisor:

I was willing to participate in this research, but found myself unable to answer the first set of questions. They are all phrased in the present tense, and inquire about my smoking habits and attitudes towards smoking cigarettes.

I quit smoking cigarettes about 12 months ago, after 32 years, within 4 days of starting to vape. Assuming that you designed your questions with some rigor, I cannot understand why you would ask those of us on Vaping Underground to participate, then ask questions about an activity (smoking cigarettes) in which we no longer participate.

I suggest that any data you have received is unusable, as you cannot distinguish between those responses from participants who simply assumed you were asking about the past, and those who continue to smoke and also vape, and those who only smoke, but review the Vaping Underground boards.I also suggest, from the comments placed below your request and my own visceral response, that you consider that asking those of us who no longer smoke, questions that assume we still smoke, pisses us off. We then stop participating, and post sarcastic comments.

I would again participate, should you redesign your survey. It may help to consult with someone who is a member of the vaping community.

Hi Mark,You seem to have misread the first section which simply asked "Please answer these questions about your smoking prior to using e-cigarettes." (formatting not added). Your suggestions are noted, but do not apply.
Best,Yuki

Why the fuck would I want to quit vaping?
Fuck off with that bullshit.
What are you even talking about?

I can't believe how poorly members of this forum respond to research based on the assumption that vaping is positive and a useful tool in smoking cessation. It seems like members of other forums spent time more thoroughly than the majority of respondents here.

I posted my link previously and got a bunch of illiterate noobs who subsequently misunderstood the whole point of my research- I study the use of e-cigs in smoking cessation. I have been a vaper for 4 years, and prior smoked for nearly 10 years.

I'm re-posting the invitation to take my survey here because I am most interested in people who have had success in smoking cessation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello, You are invited to participate in my dissertation research survey on e-cigarette smoking cessation. The survey takes approximately 10 minutes and, although there is no direct benefit to your participation, this research will elucidate both clinical utility of e-cigarettes as well as benefit the study of resilience in addiction. No personal or identifying information will be collected. Your participation is voluntary, and may be discontinued at any time. For the survey, click here

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're the dickwad that posted the study asking non-smokers how much they love to smoke and you're re-posting, go fuck yourself.

If not, my apologies...will check out your link tomorrow.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
acs, you still have not answered these valid questions

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you're the dickwad that posted the study asking non-smokers how much they love to smoke and you're re-posting, go fuck yourself.

If not, my apologies...will check out your link tomorrow.
It's the same survey.

acs, you still have not answered these valid questions
I missed your questions earlier, being so annoyed by illiterate respondents...

I have been vaping for over 4 years. These devices helped me to stop smoking, and currently I do not see their use as significantly harmful in any way. I do not think that addicted smokers are chemically addicted to nicotine, rather the behavior of smoking; therefore, vaping is a good alternative to smoking both because it offers ability to continue using nicotine and the behavior without the harm of smoking. I personally do not even use nicotine in my juice. I'll be happy to post a link to my dissertation which will be published later this year and describes more clearly and scientifically my view on e-cigarettes which is the same as that of academic circles and is positive.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I have been vaping for over 4 years. These devices helped me to stop smoking, and currently I do not see their use as significantly harmful in any way. I do not think that addicted smokers are chemically addicted to nicotine, rather the behavior of smoking; therefore, vaping is a good alternative to smoking both because it offers ability to continue using nicotine and the behavior without the harm of smoking. I personally do not even use nicotine in my juice. I'll be happy to post a link to my dissertation which will be published later this year and describes more clearly and scientifically my view on e-cigarettes which is the same as that of academic circles and is positive.
You still did not answer the questions lol
However, your reply is good. So thank you for explaining a bit more.
Sure, please link to your dissertation.

edit: I did miss the portion on your survey that mentioned after vaping.
Please answer these questions about your smoking prior to using e-cigarettes.

I am not an ex-smoker so it does not apply to me. Good luck with your survey!

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I can't believe how poorly members of this forum respond to research based on the assumption that vaping is positive and a useful tool in smoking cessation. It seems like members of other forums spent time more thoroughly than the majority of respondents here.
Tis the risk you take bringing your survey here, not all will respond in the way you wish them too, I am crying alligator tears as we speak. Have a good day:)

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I posted my link previously and got a bunch of illiterate noobs who subsequently misunderstood the whole point of my research- I study the use of e-cigs in smoking cessation. I have been a vaper for 4 years, and prior smoked for nearly 10 years.

I'm re-posting the invitation to take my survey here because I am most interested in people who have had success in smoking cessation.
tumblr_mzd7h9WyKI1ri7wzlo1_400_zpsa81f2f28.jpg

Insulting forum staff and members is a great way to get participants in your survey:) starting multiple threads on the other hand will just get them merged together into one.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The entire last section has to do with e-cig use, so you may not have gotten through the initial sections if you never saw it.
You're right! I did get through 8th grade and I practice reading comprehension. I made the mistake of 'assuming ' present tense meant present tense and since I started vaping a year + ago smoking became paste tense.
In other words, since I don't 'wake up and grab a cigarette' that first page does not apply to me. I don't know what this is really for; since, it shows a serious lack of education on your part, I would prefer to not associate any of my real information.

Thank you for the opportunity though!

Edit- I should have read further.....
The fact that you referred to us as the, 'Illiterate noobs,' despite the fact that you can't understand a situation where 'woke' should be the applied verbage; rather than, 'wake' makes me feel sad for you.
Good luck!
Thank you for laugh this morning!

Last edited:

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just think, a link for a dissertation should be posted soon.
Can't wait to read that :D

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Must be a product of common core.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Friday May 15th version of page 2 of 7:

Page 2 of 7

How soon after you wake up do you smoke your first cigarette?
After 60 minutes
31-60 minutes
6-30 minutes
Within 5 minutes
Do you find it difficult to refrain from smoking in places where it is forbidden?
No
Yes
Which cigarette would you most hate to give up?
The first in the morning
Any other
How many cigarettes per day do you smoke?
10 or less
11-20
21-30
31 or more
Do you smoke more frequently during the first hours after awakening than during the rest of the day?
No
Yes
Do you smoke even if you are so ill that you are in bed most of the day?
No
Yes
Prev Next

Sounds like SMOKING phrased in the PRESENT tense to me.

You can say "Please answer these questions about your smoking prior to using e-cigarettes." until you are blue in the face but then turn around and use this study to peg us all as dual users.

All you'd have to do is remove that one line at the top and turn it in.

Each question should be phrased as "prior" to vaping.
Like "how many cigarettes did you used to smoke"
"do you still smoke"
if no skip to... etc

I would love to learn your definition of "addiction" that you throw around.

Answer me this one question. (its a two parter)

What is the definition of addiction and please apply that definition to smoking.

(This research will contribute to an understanding of the utility of e-cigarettes as a cessation treatment approach, as well as more broadly the study of resiliency in addiction)

Start here: http://antithrlies.com/2015/05/07/u...-that-vaping-is-not-addictive-nor-is-smoking/

Then get back to me.

EDIT Monday May 18th version of page 2 of 7:

Personality Factor Correlates of Smoking Cessation Efficacy Among E-Cigarette Users
Page 2 of 7

Prior to using e-cigarettes, how soon after you woke up did you smoke your first cigarette?

After 60 minutes
31-60 minutes
6-30 minutes
Within 5 minutes
Prior to using e-cigarettes, did you find it difficult to refrain from smoking in places where it is forbidden?
No
Yes
Prior to using e-cigarettes, which cigarette would you most hate to give up?
The first in the morning
Any other
Prior to using e-cigarettes, how many cigarettes per day did you smoke?
10 or less
11-20
21-30
31 or more
Prior to using e-cigarettes, did you smoke more frequently during the first hours after awakening than during the rest of the day?
No
Yes
Prior to using e-cigarettes, did you smoke even if you were so ill that you were in bed most of the day?
No
Yes

So I guess US "ILLITERATE noobs" HELPED this genius word his study properly? - 5150

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Personality Factor Correlates of Smoking Cessation Efficacy Among E-Cigarette Users
Title: Personality Factor Correlates of Smoking Cessation Efficacy Among Electronic Cigarette Users
Investigator: Yuki J. Mitsuhashi-Acs, MS, MA, MBA

You are invited to participate in a research study, which is being conducted as part of my dissertation for Applied Clinical Psychology. Please read the information below and ask any questions you may have before participating.

Purpose: To determine personality factors related to quitting smoking for e-cigarette users.
Procedure: You are asked to complete an anonymous 10-minute survey to investigate the relationship between personality and e-cigarette use for smoking cessation.
Risks of Participation: There is minimal risk in completing the survey and you may discontinue at any time; however, if you feel distressed as a result of your participation, helpful resources are attached.
Benefits to Participation: You will not directly benefit from your participation, but this study will help clarify clinical positions on the usefulness, or lack thereof, of e-cigarettes. This research will contribute to an understanding of the utility of e-cigarettes as a cessation treatment approach, as well as more broadly the study of resiliency in addiction.
Alternative to Participation: You may withdraw at any time. There is no penalty.

Confidentiality: All information collected is anonymous and handled confidentially. The information consists solely of your responses to the survey items concerning smoking, personality, and e-cigarette use. Your research records may be reviewed by federal agencies whose responsibility is to protect human subjects participating in research, including the Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) and by representatives from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology Institutional Review Board, a committee that oversees research.

Questions/Concerns: If you have questions concerning your rights in this research study, you may contact the Institutional Review Board (IRB), which is concerned with the protection of subjects in research projects. You may reach the IRB office Monday~Friday by calling (312)467-2343 or writing
Institutional Review Board, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, 325 N. Wells, Chicago IL 60654.

You may contact me, Yuki J. Mitsuhashi-Acs, with any questions or concerns at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, 4199 Campus Drive, Irvine CA 92612 or by telephone (949)769-7700 or e-mail [email protected].

My dissertation chair, Dr. Gerardo Canul who is overseeing this research project, may also be contacted at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, 4199 Campus Drive, Irvine CA 92612 or by telephone (949)769-7700 or e-mail [email protected].

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thinking someone needs to contact the English department.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

click here

Thanks @5150sick. Im going to email that dissertation chair and check the validity of his claim and ask him why the questions would be posed in present tense. This really bothers me; it has the appearance of an ulterior motive.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Title: Personality Factor Correlates of Smoking Cessation Efficacy Among Electronic Cigarette Users
Investigator: Yuki J. Mitsuhashi-Acs, MS, MA, MBA

You are invited to participate in a research study, which is being conducted as part of my dissertation for Applied Clinical Psychology. Please read the information below and ask any questions you may have before participating.

Purpose: To determine personality factors related to quitting smoking for e-cigarette users.
Procedure: You are asked to complete an anonymous 10-minute survey to investigate the relationship between personality and e-cigarette use for smoking cessation.
Risks of Participation: There is minimal risk in completing the survey and you may discontinue at any time; however, if you feel distressed as a result of your participation, helpful resources are attached.
Benefits to Participation: You will not directly benefit from your participation, but this study will help clarify clinical positions on the usefulness, or lack thereof, of e-cigarettes. This research will contribute to an understanding of the utility of e-cigarettes as a cessation treatment approach, as well as more broadly the study of resiliency in addiction.
Alternative to Participation: You may withdraw at any time. There is no penalty.

Confidentiality: All information collected is anonymous and handled confidentially. The information consists solely of your responses to the survey items concerning smoking, personality, and e-cigarette use. Your research records may be reviewed by federal agencies whose responsibility is to protect human subjects participating in research, including the Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) and by representatives from The Chicago School of Professional Psychology Institutional Review Board, a committee that oversees research.

Questions/Concerns: If you have questions concerning your rights in this research study, you may contact the Institutional Review Board (IRB), which is concerned with the protection of subjects in research projects. You may reach the IRB office Monday~Friday by calling (312)467-2343 or writing
Institutional Review Board, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, 325 N. Wells, Chicago IL 60654.

You may contact me, Yuki J. Mitsuhashi-Acs, with any questions or concerns at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, 4199 Campus Drive, Irvine CA 92612 or by telephone (949)769-7700 or e-mail [email protected].

My dissertation chair, Dr. Gerardo Canul who is overseeing this research project, may also be contacted at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology, 4199 Campus Drive, Irvine CA 92612 or by telephone (949)769-7700 or e-mail [email protected].

Email sent to Dr Canul, will update if/when I receive a response

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow, thanks for the compliment to those of us who misread your horrendously-phrased survey.

I understand you're frustrated, especially since quite a few of us are, IMHO, needlessly paranoid when it comes to anyone purporting to be conducting research of any kind on vaping. It's a tough crowd, I get it - I'm surprised they haven't formed a lynch mob to come after me because I'm a member of the media, which is the only branch of society to many here that's scarier or more detested than academia.

But I've got to interject for a second here on your insinuations that because your language was misleading at best, all the rest of us are stupid. I use words to make a living - people pay me to write thousands of them every week, and have done so for years. I think this qualifies me as an individual generally qualified to read a simple document.

Now, I don't want to come across as thinking I'm perfect or anything - I'm not. I make mistakes, sometimes regrettably stupid little ones on a daily basis. Thankfully I have editors, who are people who help make my writing better before I put it into print. If you don't have access to one, maybe you could ask a friend or fellow student to read what you're writing to see if it makes sense before unleashing it on the world.

But again, I make mistakes. I understand other people make them too. I'll often skim over minor ones without even realizing it when I'm trying not to miss the forest for the trees, so to speak. When you write an entire survey treating smoking as if it's a presently ongoing activity, but preface it with a tiny, vague blurb in an easily-overlooked header mentioning "prior" use (I'm honestly not even sure if it was there before or if you went back in to edit after getting called out), I'm going to assume that you made one mistake and wrote the rest of the page correctly.

If I'm gauging your criticism of the rest of us properly, it seems you think we should have assumed that the first sentence was the only one in your survey worded correctly, and everything else on the page was just one giant fuck-up. I'd have preferred to think that a university student would've been capable of getting at least the majority of their point across in a comprehensible form, but it appears I gave you far too much credit.

That said, I see you've gone in and heavily edited your original survey. I went ahead and completed it, though most of the questions seemed somewhat vague and difficult to place in relation to e-cig use. I hope it helps you out with whatever you're trying to accomplish.

Jetson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Man, I dig literate people. Vanishing breed on the internet. I just read a bunch of coherent, grammatically correct sentences in paragraphs with proper punctuation. That made me happy.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Oh so on the guise you say you were a smoker but want to collect more data on former smokers to be used by the same motherfuckers who approved alterations and more harmful shit to be added to tobacco..

Gotcha.
You fucking clueless shill, go fuck your own face.

Jetson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Name something people do that looks on the surface to be of benefit to all but is in reality a scam with a hidden agenda.

"Survey?"

Survey says ... Survey! Number one answer!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I remember surveys like this in the late 80s early 90s right before the for the children bullshit, not only that but was used to introduce more and harmful brain altering chemicals into the mix. Another right before the fire chiefs pushed for added carpet glue to make them safer.

So again the op needs to fuck his own face.

Joseph gordon

Member For 4 Years

I took your survey and yes I see the ecigarettes questions at the end of the survey, I suggest you put those first and the the questions about your habits before starting to vape when we were still smoking tobacco cigarettes at the end with a larger header as it seems some people are simply going right to the questions and not reading the headers. I see it was a interesting survey but you seem to focus on the personality more then the habit. Also We want to know that you are a Vaper or at least pro-Vaping and not someone who is trying to use us for the ants. So to get us on board you need to take the effort to answer the questions we ask.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I took your survey and yes I see the ecigarettes questions at the end of the survey, I suggest you put those first and the the questions about your habits before starting to vape when we were still smoking tobacco cigarettes at the end with a larger header as it seems some people are simply going right to the questions and not reading the headers. I see it was a interesting survey but you seem to focus on the personality more then the habit. Also We want to know that you are a Vaper or at least pro-Vaping and not someone who is trying to use us for the ants. So to get us on board you need to take the effort to answer the questions we ask.
Won't happen because he is a shill and a liar.
Fuck him, fuck his "survey" and fuck the so called brain trust this shit is a front for.
There is nothing honest or forthright in this survey or it's guise.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Won't happen because he is a shill and a liar.
Fuck him, fuck his "survey" and fuck the so called brain trust this shit is a front for.
There is nothing honest or forthright in this survey or it's guise.
Hoping to hear back from that Dr Canul guy Monday. Would be nice if the 'author' would tell him to check his email and voicemail. Especially since, he felt it necessary to call all of us illiterate, despite, his inability to use proper english.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hoping to hear back from that Dr Canul guy Monday. Would be nice if the 'author' would tell him to check his email and voicemail. Especially since, he felt it necessary to call all of us illiterate, despite, his inability to use proper english.
Let us know.
But taking this shill fucktastic pile of filth smacks of bullshit propagated by BT/BP bullshit of "surveys" past which were all bullshit and used against smokers.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm sure it is. I wouldn't be surprised if it were research subsidized by BT, to try and figure out a marketing campaign for their cigalikes. Or some other product they're trying to release.
The delivery of the whole thing reeks of fishiness

I just took the survey. I didn't have a problem with it. It said to answer the questions about your smoking prior to using e-cigarettes. So that's what I did. And I know alot of people that smoke cigarettes too. I did for the first 6 months

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just took the survey. I didn't have a problem with it. It said to answer the questions about your smoking prior to using e-cigarettes. So that's what I did. And I know alot of people that smoke cigarettes too. I did for the first 6 months
Note that the OP went back and heavily edited the survey after folks here called him out on it...

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Note OP has already been to other forums with said survey as well and trying to BS others, won't he be surprised, just sayin.....

VU Sponsors