Become a Patron!

*POPPING SOUND* Aspire CF sub-ohm atomizer with Kangertech Subtank Mini

So have this set up for a while, and it worked well. Went about two weeks on one coil with one juice called Unicorn Milk, with PG and VG. Today I replaced the coil with a default extra coil that came with the tank. I took it apart and replaced it. I then saturated the coil with a new juice called The Joker, an orange cream pie flavor. After saturating the coil filled about half the tank. I also bought a longer mouthpiece today. After replacing the coil and juice, my setup now makes a popping sound when it is being hit and doesn't seem to taste as well as I thought it would. Did I do something wrong? Perhaps in the replacement of the coil and juice I made a mistake somewhere and fucked something up. I read I could be smoking primer from the coil or something? I really hope I didn't just waste a brand new coil with no replacement right now. I'm thinking of replacing the juice with Unicorn Milk. It worked well with that. So did I do something wrong? I didn't take any dry hits with the coil before applying the juice and filling the tank, is that where I wen wrong? Help?20150505_185901.jpg 20150505_185901.jpg

Faceless Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Popping how? You should take the atty apart and check the coil head and see if its charred or anything. That might be your taste issue. If you didn't let it absorb enough juice and fired it it could char the wick and leave a burnt taste.

whiteshadow

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mine does the same except it's a Kangertech nano with the 1.2 coil. It doesn't pop often, just when I haven't taken a pull in a minute and also, when first taking a pull after sitting. My belief is that the cotton is saturated and when the wire heats up, the juice pops. My taste on mine haven't been affected.

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
You mean a crackling sound? Thats normal.. you should have heard a brand of cartomizers called Thunderheads! Those things were LOUD

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Sometimes changing a coil can make a difference in overall heat and seem too hot and pop or crackle alot...Im assuming the coil is the same ohms as the one you replaced but even as much as a slightly lower ohm can make a difference in heat.

I can build a new coil and get around the same reading but the new coil always fires like a mad man at first untill it gets that carbon and juice build up on it to smooth it out.

If you can turn power down try that and see if it makes a difference with it. Youll eventually turn it back up once the coil is "broken in".

RobbieR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Went about two weeks on one coil with one juice called Unicorn Milk, with PG and VG. Today I replaced the coil with a default extra coil that came with the tank. View attachment 20073 View attachment 20073

Did you put the 0.5 ohm coil in? You said you put the "default extra coil that came with the tank" My Subtank Mini came with one 1.2ohm coil and one 0.5 ohm coil. If you put the 0.5 ohm coil in that would explain the difference you are noticing.

AZ4running

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Its due to the different ohm coil. They come with a .5 and a 1.2. I like the sub ohm coils you get more smome and better taste. I had a crap ton of popping when i tried the 1.2 coil.

RBVapes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I think the biggest challenge BTW is the CF battery is basically a mechanical. Which at full charge will drive the .5 coil at 35W and the 1.2 at 14 watts. That's in range for the 1.2 but way over over Kanger recommends for the .5 coils. Personally I've found the sweet spot for the OCC coils to be 18-22W.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well I think the biggest challenge BTW is the CF battery is basically a mechanical. Which at full charge will drive the .5 coil at 35W and the 1.2 at 14 watts. That's in range for the 1.2 but way over over Kanger recommends for the .5 coils. Personally I've found the sweet spot for the OCC coils to be 18-22W.

^^ I just popped in to say this same thing. I run the 0.5 ohm coils on the higher end, around 25-28 W (~4.0-4.1V), but that's still below what the CF mod is going to be outputting at full charge. Any higher than that and I get a lot of popping and sometimes a burnt taste (depends on the viscosity of the juice).

To @DylanR I'd suggest trying to get some more 1.2 ohm coils or look into a VW mod like the istick 30W, my wife runs her subtank nano on that all day long using the 0.5 ohm coils with zero issues. Good luck!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Sometimes but not always, when I wrap and install a new coil for the first time, I will get a "Pop" along with the usual sizzle when I fire it up for the first time.

Doesn't seem to affect the taste of the liquid or the amount of vapor, just happens sometimes.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is the second year old thread that's been resurrected in a row on my alerts. Please let these threads die. ;)

VU Sponsors