Become a Patron!

Possible increase of Parkinson incident with smoking cessation. (Jama Network Journal)

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm currently doing research on smoking cessation and auto immune disorders. However, I came across this today and found it worth noting. More research is needed to validate the concerns.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160620115945.htm

Cites are available at the bottom of link page for further knowledge.

Edit: I believe that vaping nicotine may help with symptoms. I know nicotine helps with many neuro-biological disorders. I think they need to focus on NRT such as vaping..

Last edited:

Kimtexas1026

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I read a few articles too on this & I'm very fascinated. I read that nicotine is being researched in Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, ADHD, memory problems & a few other things. For me, I found a random benefit when I started vaping & the fact that it helped my migraines. I avoided vaping when I'd start seeing the migraine aura because I just assumed it would make a migraine worse. And then one day I decided to test it just to see if it would make it worse, or if it had no effect (and therefore I wouldn't need to avoid vape during a migraine). Surprisingly, I found that it didn't make the headache worse..... it actually stopped my head from hurting at ALL! I'm assuming it's the vasoconstriction properties of nicotine, but no migraine prescription I've ever tried in the past worked 100% of the time. And yet vaping does! I was blown away. I'm sure it wouldn't work that way for everyone b/c I've heard lots of people say that vaping or smoking made their migraines worse. But for me, it prevents my head from hurting & that's all I need to know. I'd love to see what research can accomplish in the future for things like Parkinson's & Alzheimer's.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Alzheimers runs hard-core in my family, and for that reason I intend to always vape with nicotine

Kimtexas1026

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Alzheimers runs hard-core in my family, and for that reason I intend to always vape with nicotine

It runs in my family too so I'd love to see if vaping (or using nicotine) could prevent it before it "sets in". A lot of people in my family quit smoking as they got older, so I wonder if maybe nicotine had a protective effect before they quit. I've read about a lot of people quitting smoking & then shortly after, had different autoimmune diseases crop up (like Celiac, or Crohn's). I'm totally fascinated by the subject. Nicotine certainly wouldn't be any more harmful than a lot of prescription drugs that are out there. I'd much rather have nicotine than a prescription that brings a lot of unwanted side effects. But that's just me. :)

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It runs in my family too so I'd love to see if vaping (or using nicotine) could prevent it before it "sets in". A lot of people in my family quit smoking as they got older, so I wonder if maybe nicotine had a protective effect before they quit. I've read about a lot of people quitting smoking & then shortly after, had different autoimmune diseases crop up (like Celiac, or Crohn's). I'm totally fascinated by the subject. Nicotine certainly wouldn't be any more harmful than a lot of prescription drugs that are out there. I'd much rather have nicotine than a prescription that brings a lot of unwanted side effects. But that's just me. :)
I was diagnosed with auto immune liver disease (2016). Stage 4 inflammation and stage 3 cirrhosis. I quit smoking in 2010. I don't drink.

Kimtexas1026

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was diagnosed with auto immune liver disease (2016). Stage 4 inflammation and stage 3 cirrhosis. I quit smoking in 2010. I don't drink.

Oh wow, I"m so sorry to hear that. Were you diagnosed AFTER you quit smoking??? I know nicotine is an immune suppressant, which is what I think the articles I read said they believed was the reason different people developed certain auto immune issues after they quit. I think they were susceptible to it to begin with (with certain genes) & by smoking, they were just postponing the inevitable. But I think the articles said once the auto immune diseases surfaced, nicotine didn't have much of a therapeutic effect (it couldn't suppress the immune system to get rid of the disease once it started). Which sucks. That would be an easy treatment if it did. :)

Murray_B

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
[...] I came across this today and found it worth noting.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160620115945.htm [...]

That is an interesting article, Artemis, but It is hard to understand how these youngsters would not know about related research from fifty years ago.

"[...] from a study published in 1966 by Harold Kahn, an epidemiologist at the National Institutes of Health. Using health insurance data on 293,658 veterans who had served in the U.S. military between 1917 and 1940, Kahn found [...] Death due to Parkinson’s disease occurred at least three times as often in nonsmokers as in smokers."

See http://discovermagazine.com/2014/march/13-nicotine-fix

VU Sponsors